Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 89 hatch

3Geez Veteran

Re: 89 hatch

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    both cars use the same header
    I thought DX's, LX's, and 1986-1987 LX-i's used 4-1 while 1988-1989 LX-i's and SE-i's use 4-2-1? Isn't that the majority of the reason as to why 1988-1989 LX-i's have ten more horsepower than the 1986-1987's?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I thought DX's, LX's, and 1986-1987 LX-i's used 4-1 while 1988-1989 LX-i's and SE-i's use 4-2-1? Isn't that the majority of the reason as to why 1988-1989 LX-i's have ten more horsepower than the 1986-1987's?
    aftermarket header,both cars use the same header if you can find one

Vehicle
    86 Hatchback , 97 TL1000S , 39 Zundapp DB200 , 68 Vespa , 79 Derbi Variant , 96 CN250

Quote Originally Posted by wh1skea View Post
    The more hatches, the merrier!!!!
    welcome !

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The DC in the marketplace is only a partial header. You'd still have to make a down pipe. While you're making your down pipe, you might as well make a header.

The 4-1 design is better suited for a narrow rev range than a 4-2-1. That's my only concern, bit the A series has a pretty fat torque curve for what it is.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord DX Hatchback 2.0 SOHC carb.

Just ran across a cheap set of rims...just thought of throwing it out there! I think I might order a set since I just bought new 185/70/13 tires. Black, red, maybe even the pink for the breast cancer support.

http://www.aeroracewheels.com/colors.html
    Last edited by JeromyA20A1; 05-28-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Performance tires for 13" wheels are becoming rarer than hens teeth. I'd use up the tires you have and then get new wheels. To get decent tires, you're going to have to move up to a 15" wheel. Another reason to avoid the small wheels is brakes. If you ever want to swap to LXi brakes, you'll need at least 14" wheels.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Performance tires for 13" wheels are becoming rarer than hens teeth. I'd use up the tires you have and then get new wheels. To get decent tires, you're going to have to move up to a 15" wheel. Another reason to avoid the small wheels is brakes. If you ever want to swap to LXi brakes, you'll need at least 14" wheels.
    the 14 inch wheels are still widely available in performance tires

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by JeromyA20A1 View Post
    I think I'll just stick with the auto and your awesome advice cause my wife occasionally like to drive mine around town to just get out when she doesnt wanna drive hers.
    You know where this is leading right? Before you know it, you'll be driving hers all the time. I'd say do a manual swap first thing! LOL

Car looks pretty tight. Welcome!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

The DC in the marketplace is only a partial header. You'd still have to make a down pipe. While you're making your down pipe, you might as well make a header.

The 4-1 design is better suited for a narrow rev range than a 4-2-1. That's my only concern, bit the A series has a pretty fat torque curve for what it is.
    a custom header will cost 400-600 bucks. Get a OBX header and weld a flex pipe with a 2.25 or 2.5 inch collector

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    a custom header will cost 400-600 bucks. Get a OBX header and weld a flex pipe with a 2.25 or 2.5 inch collector
    That's pretty much what I was getting at. I don't think it's worth it to buy the upper of a somewhat common header, just to spend as much as the whole header would be worth on the down pipe.

Going with a 15" wheel gives you the option of running a 205/50 15 tire. It's a common size with good prices and wide availability of cheap street tires all the way through competition tires. There aren't many good 14" tires out there anymore because no one uses them anymore. It will only get worse in the future.

Vehicle

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I don't think it's worth it to buy the upper of a somewhat common header, just to spend as much as the whole header would be worth on the down pipe.

Going with a 15" wheel gives you the option of running a 205/50 15 tire. It's a common size with good prices and wide availability of cheap street tires all the way through competition tires. There aren't many good 14" tires out there anymore because no one uses them anymore. It will only get worse in the future.
    check tire rack there are a bunch of good 14's they fit a lot of cars and aren't going anywhere, especially with the new micro cars being the new thing

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Actually, I did check the Rack. There are 14 tires available in our size. If you go with 205/50 15s, there are 24 tires.

If you put sticky tires on a tall car with a small footprint (like the micro cars you mention), you roll over. There's a reason the xB isn't allowed to autocross.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah running a 15 inch rim opens up more selection for tires. so far i had khumos and falkens and both are stickier than my stock goodyears on my 14 inch rims.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

alright guys, got a tech question for you all..#1 i noticed the other day I was late to work and I was haulin ass to work and noticed that after I parked at work i noticed there was radiator fluid had spilled out, but when i took a flashlight to find if there was a leak from radiator itself or the upper or lower hoses....nothing. The only thing i could find was it looked like it came from the radiator reservoir. Any suggestions why it would only be coming from there? she runs nice and cool all day long even on long trips, the temp never raised and the radiator hasn't lost any fluid, yet only when i ran her a little harder than usual...let me know what you guys think. #2 being an auto tranny Ive noticed while its running in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear i accelerate and de-accelerate and the tranny seems to jerk in mid gear....? maybe some sort of mount gone bad?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

If your head gasket is bad, it can over-pressurize the cooling system and push coolant out your reservoir. Overfilling coolant will also cause this. It's easy to overfill these cars because it's so hard to see the level in the jug. For the trans, check your fluid level. If its isn't nice and clean pink, then do a drain and fill.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Talking Re: 89 hatch

Ok so turns out it was just me over filling the resevoir! Now about to readjust my carb and throttle when I get off work this afternoon!