Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen sensor o2 questions

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 HONDA ACCORD LX CARB 5SP MAN. 283K

Question Oxygen sensor o2 questions

I was wondering does a new o2 sensor improve gas millage on a carbed car or did i just waste money on buying that sensor

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Re: Oxygen sensor o2 questions

Your carbed car doesn't have an O2 sensor.........

YMMV

Have fun, good luck.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,

Actually, the 3rd gen carbed did use one. Weird huh? I had to change mine way back on my 88 LX after it failed Aircare.

Anyways, a new O2 could potentially help if it's old and tired. Use NTK or Denso only, don't go for the Bosch as it seems to have troubles on imports for some reason.
    www.b20accord.com

DX User
    Vehicle

Dang really i popped a bosch in it already will it last at least a couple of months or should i just accept my mistake and just replace the new bosch

Vehicle

Did you grab the Bosch because it was the cheapest? That's what people usually do including myself when I didn't know better lol. Well....it's really hard to tell until you get it tested. Some people have been ok with Bosch, others the car ran WORSE or failed worse than with the old O2. You can download the service manual for the specs and then check the voltage at the sensor using a multimeter.

NTK and Denso are more expensive than Bosch but I have never had any issues with them on Hondas/Toyotas and I have changed quite a few of them now. If you must save a bit of cash, get the 1 wire universal NTK and wire in your plug from the old sensor.
    www.b20accord.com

DX User
    Vehicle

COOL THANKS MAN IM GOING ON A 17 STATE 5015 MILE ROAD TRIP ON MY 87 HONDA ACCORD 283K IF YOU CAN CHECK OUT MY OTHER TREAD AND MAYBE IF YOU CAN HELP ME ON SOME OF THE ISSUES I MENTIONED ON THAT ONE IT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP ITS ON CARB TECH AND THE TREAD IS Talking 17 state road trip 87 accord lx few problems

DX User
    Vehicle

ALSO I JUST ORDERED A GAUGE THAT SETS UP ONTO THE VACUUM OF THE CAR AND HOW YOU DRIVE IT INSTANTLY GIVES YOU YOUR MPG DID I DO A GOOD INVESTMENT I SAW IT AS A WIN WIN IT MAKES ME AWARE OF MY DRIVING AND MAKES MY LEAD FOOT INTO A GRANNY FOOT AND ALSO LETS ME KNOW WHEN MY VACUUM SYSTEM IS FAULTY IDK WHAT PEOPLES TAKE IS ON THAT GAUGE OR IF ITS ACCURATE ITS ON ( http://www.jcwhitney.com/miles-per-g...id=d855y1987j1 )

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Nah. Ain't nobody on here got a vacuum gauge. LOL

Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle

Cool does it save you fuel by staying on the green or is it mostly to see if you have any faults on the vacuum system

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

I have been all over the exhaust on my 89 and be damned if I have come across an O2 sensor. This strikes me as a tad odd now. Perhaps I shall have another look while I am screwing around with adjusting the TV cable (adjusted, not a fan of the snappy shifts and higher revs though)

Head scratcher.

OP- turn off your caps. Bad enough your sentence structure rivals many 14 year olds. Yes, I am a grammar nazi.

Vehicle

It's right above where the manifold meets the downpipe and points to the passenger side fender. I'd post a pic but the only one I found was from 2001 and taken with my 0.8MP camera lol.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Lg310 View Post
    Cool does it save you fuel by staying on the green or is it mostly to see if you have any faults on the vacuum system
    I guess it helps. You'll find that basically, when you are accelerating, it goes to zero. When you are decelerating, it goes to infinity. When you are driving at a constant speed, it stays in the green. My best mileage comes when I accelerate from stops in the 0-6 Hg range. That's solidly in the red zone. The orange zone gives the worst mileage. So yeah, it's helped me optimize my mileage.

Right now I'm working on improving my hwy mileage. The cruise control isn't steady like it should be. It accelerates and then backs off, accelerates and backs off. That's not the best solution for mpgs, so I'm seeing if driving it with a steadier foot yields better mileage.

Actually, I'm going to be putting vacuum gauges an all my cars. They give such insight into what's going on inside the engine. When you are driving up a grade, you can look over and know exactly how much load the engine is under. If something goes haywire with the valves (my second engine had a bad cam), it will show up immediately on the vacuum gauge. It can give you a rough idea of what compression you are getting, how tired the motor is, etc. It tells all kinds of things about the mechanical operation of the engine. I burned up the first motor in the car because I didn't have good insight into how the engine was doing. Now I do.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 05-27-2011 at 08:30 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle

nice nice im happy with my purchase then lol and for dieselgus really wat the fudge im not writing an essay for a grade haha im just writing to write and get some answers not writing to impress anyone with my abilities to write

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You might find that the quality of answers you receive improves when your writing is clear, concise and as easy as possible to read. You may think it's no big deal, but when the rest of us are trying to scan a post, find the issue and help, it really slows us down to have to plod through bad grammar, poor punctuation and run on sentences. A lot of people will just skip to the next thread instead of taking the time to wade through that. Help us out and make the effort to write good posts.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User
    Vehicle

haha what a place to have to put your knowledge to work sounds like its some online college course what is the difference between having .,/?:;"' symbols and just writing nothing words are words and if you read it all makes sense read a book and take the symbols and grammar and all that ish and its still a book and you can still understand now if you want to be smart and all that start a forum for grammar and punctuation this is about automobiles not grammar

DX User
    Vehicle

thirdgen.org is so much better real auto people on there to talk about cars and how to fix them not how too spell and write properly i think i got to find a new forum for my cord

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

this is the internetZ bro... lot of people don't use grammar but stay over here don't let one guy ruin your experience over here at this site

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Well, I could care less about spelling or commas as I can make sense of what's been written most of the time. But I do have a problem reading sentences with no periods, especially in threads trying to understand what is being explained. If you don't want to use periods, atleast start a new line with every sentence. The reply might be longer, but at least it won't be a big block of words.

Don't take offence too much. In the end, we are just trying to help you with your car. I don't think there is another site that can help you as much with the 3rd gen Accords as this one.
    Last edited by YK86; 05-28-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    www.b20accord.com

DX User
    Vehicle

HAHAHAHA yeah i guess it will help me and the car that way i get better at grammar and all that stuff i hated in school. Random question just trowing it out there whats a great fuel cleaner/additive for every fill up, or whats a great cleaner that will clean really well.So far only tried lucas, I pretty much want a one time use cleaner and I guess ill call it a conditioner just to keep it clean.

Ok my grammar still isnt great or good at all but hang with me it might get better.Sorry if i pissed people off but I was never good in school

DX User
    Vehicle

Ha

Vehicle

I don't use additives in any of my cars. The only time I use it is if a car I bought or a car I'm working on has clearly been neglected (sludge in the engine, stuff like that). For the most part, a good tune up and new filters is good enough to make the car run very well.

Actually, I do use a fuel additive in my mom's 98 Accord since those cars don't have a fuel filter and it's a part of the regular maintenance schedule. I just buy what's recommended from the dealer. Also, if you want to try something, I always hear good things about Techron made by Chevron. But I'm up in Canada, not sure if they have Chevron in the US.
    Last edited by YK86; 05-28-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    www.b20accord.com

DX User
    Vehicle

Oh yes chevron is my station love their gas but since gas is more expensive than an ounce of gold. Yes start your comments now I down graded to ARCO!!!!, as for the Techron yes I have seen it next time im in the auto parts I will pick up a boottle.

THANKS YK86 your one of the few members thats putting input on most threads. Is this site not well Known or whats the deal.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 176Kmiles, 1 owner, stock. (Sold 10/18)

'PEA' is the key ingredient you want to look for in a fuel system cleaner. Techron, Redline, Regane, I'm sure there are others but check to make sure it's got a good dose of PEA.
    Will clean up valve and combustion deposits as well, fuel injector spray and carb jets. It's the real deal.

I replaced the O2 sensor on my '88 a few years ago. Can't say it improved (already good) gas milage, but it did seem to run a bit better. Passed emissions with less than .1 max. I think it improved that count.
    Last edited by g.frost; 05-29-2011 at 01:27 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle

Nice is there a chance of too much PEA and. thanks personally which one is or works better for you.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 176Kmiles, 1 owner, stock. (Sold 10/18)

Follow directions on the product; If you need to blow out a bunch of carbon deposits, put a full bottle in a tank and get some spirited driving on it. Warm it up good then climb some hill at WOT a few times. I use a couple ounces of Redline SI1 in each fill up. Maybe too much trouble for a car that see more miles, my Accord is semi-retired.
    Another way to go is run a good dose through before every oil change.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf
    Last edited by g.frost; 05-29-2011 at 02:18 PM.