Thread: Weak Alternator?

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe

Weak Alternator?

Whenever i have my radio on, then turn on the heater, my rasio gets quiter. Same thing happens when i turn on my neon lights.

Is that normal?
    Performance Modz: Short Ram Air Intake, Custom Exhaust w/o Cat & Resonator, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Accel Coil, Removed AC

Other Modz: Clear Blinkers, Purple Calipers, Accord Emblem On Dash, Winking Headlights

Banned
    I think.......you need a new car.

Nate.

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    i like my car
    Performance Modz: Short Ram Air Intake, Custom Exhaust w/o Cat & Resonator, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Accel Coil, Removed AC

Other Modz: Clear Blinkers, Purple Calipers, Accord Emblem On Dash, Winking Headlights

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    HAHAHA, nate is being himself. dont be sad buddy. we know u love ur sexy Se-i buggy. so anyways, check ur battery first. see if it needs replacement. usually they are the culprit at first.

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX, carb, AT
    Since both radio & heater are under dashboard, they might share same grounding.. Check the wiring to chassis. Same may apply to the hot wiring though, check ur wiring diagrams.

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    I forgot i posted this :P

I got the battery about a month ago. One of car buds thinks its the alternator because: it also idles rough, and its 13 years old

How much will an alternator cost, and whats all this talk about alternator pullies?

PS: Im glad im not the only one that thinks the 3G's are sexy :bh:

1988starter
    80.99 for mine ans an hour of my time

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    about alternator pulleys. when i took my alternator off on my 86 it had 5 grooves (4 teeth as i call it), but when i pulled from 88 it had 4 grooves (3 teeth) on it. so i had to buy a belt for 88 alternator because i didn't realised that untill i 88 alternator into my 86 accord.
    Alex.

Dude, I upgraded my alternator like 6 months ago to 160 oms. The factory alt. I think it brings 65 oms. since I have a system with two amps and bla, bla, bla (no need to get into the system topic), plus my fog lights and some other stuff that was sucking energy like crazy; the iddle was kind of rough too. When i used to come to a complete stop, the lights used to dim down. I hated that. The whole thing costed me $300 and warranty for 12 months. Ever since then, I haven't had ANY problems with that. I blast my system and the car iddles like nothing. I think it was worth it. Just be careful where you take it. Oh, did i said that they polished the alt too? well they did. It looks nice. It's a shame its all the way in the back of the engine and its not that visible.

I also got a new battery with higher CC (crank something). Just try to get one with over 1000 cc. If somebody knows what I'm talking about, give me a hand here. I hope this could help you man. and hey! be proude of your SEi, I'm dawm proude of mines!
    Last edited by Coroncho80; 10-16-2002 at 04:28 PM.
    Maurice

Vehicle
    white 89 lxi
    hey guys im having a similar situation with my lxi. I think mines might be the altenator. When I was driving my cd player just skiped a beat and restarted itself where it left off, then when I parked and came back to turn the car on the battery was dead!!!
    I had to get a jump start to get it home, now I went to Auto Zone yesterday to get a new battery and they did a diagnostic check and the battery was brand new. They said it just needed to be cleaned so I cleaned it now this happened. Now I got 2 amps and a decent system in there. Can anybody help me out with some suggestions??????????

Luis, I'll say either upgrade your alt. or get another battery and put it in the trunk for your system.
    Maurice

Vehicle
    white 89 lxi
    thanks coroncho, I'm gona go tomorrow and get a new alt...What kind of alt would fit in there????

If you think something is wrong with you alt. just get it rebuilt. It's like $70. Cheaper than a NEW alt. You gotta think about that; if you still gonna have all that shit on the car, what makes you think that its not gonna go again? if it goes again, just get a stronger battey or upgrade your alt. or get another battery and throw it to the trunk just for the system.
    Last edited by Coroncho80; 10-16-2002 at 05:13 PM.
    Maurice