Thread: Intermittent 'limp mode'

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

Intermittent 'limp mode'

Since I have started driving my accord last month, I have had 2 incidents where it entered into limp mode without codes or a CEL.

It is very peppy for a 2L, but when it hits limp mode, it doesnt seem to want to accelerate at all. Also, from time to time, while cruising around town going 60km/h in 4th gear(or below 2000rpm for that matter), it sometimes dies out unless I give it more throttle. Are these 2 issues linked in any way? Anyone have an idea as to what may be going on?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Intermittent 'limp mode'

Fuel injected or carb? There's no limp mode on these cars. At least not any kind you'd notice. Limp mode is when the ECU shuts down half the cylinders in the engine to save it from blowing up. Works great, but when you only have 4 cylinders to start with, what are you going to shut down? The ECU will switch to default fuel maps if a sensor goes down, but you wouldn't really notice that. What condition are your plug wires in? When was your last tune up?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

SEi User
    Vehicle

My car is fuel injected, hence the fuel injection forum.

Plugs were changed on Sunday and have maybe 200km on them, wires are also pretty new with around 1500km on them. At this time, the timing was also checked(didn't need adjustment), and the valve lash was adjusted after the break-in of the new motor.

What baffles me asides from the extreme lack of power, was the fact that there was no CEL to go along with a faulty sensor. It runs perfectly fine now like the whole thing never happened, but I also pulled the ECU fuse, and let it sit for a while. The first time around, I just let it sit for a while.

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

... check grounds? (jumper cables )
    filters?

I dunno man.. Does it still run ok when it goes south or does it start missing?
    kinda sounds like it might be a coil problem. Notice it happens when turing on way or another? starting / stopping?
    Check the resistances on the coil!
    Other than that it sounds like a rogue short gremlin to me

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Demon1024 View Post
    ... check grounds? (jumper cables )
    filters?

I dunno man.. Does it still run ok when it goes south or does it start missing?
    kinda sounds like it might be a coil problem. Notice it happens when turing on way or another? starting / stopping?
    Check the resistances on the coil!
    Other than that it sounds like a rogue short gremlin to me

Filters were all changed out when I swapped the new motor in.

When it starts acting up, it doesn't do it on a special occasion, it just runs the way it does regardless of how its driven.

Doesnt miss at all when its down on power. Ill check the coil though. Possibly a weak spark or something