Thread: *Guy's with J.D.M B20 Series Motor*

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Wink *Guy's with J.D.M B20 Series Motor*

Ok well I been thinking about this a lot and tempted if my black coupe's motor is shot. I really don't wanna rebuild the motor unless i don't find a J.D.M B20. So the only reason is i'm not convinced in buying one is that finding parts for this motor will be a Bitch to find. So i was wondering for the people that have them in the U.S. How do you find or get parts? do you know someone that could ship the parts over? or can you use the U.S B20 (Prelude) motor parts for this motor?
    Im still a noob on this and don't know squat so what thinking maybe i could write down what i need in one single thread. And im ready to learn about this motor.
    Oh has anyone dyno'd these motor With everything STOCK? Black and gold top.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: *Guy's with J.D.M B20 Series Motor*

i own 3 of them...not worth it if you cant find a complete swap

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Just about the only thing you can't find for the motor is the oil pan gasket from what I can remember. Everything else has a counterpart in the US that you can use, or something equivalent that will replace it. But then you gotta know that this part comes from that engine, and that part comes from some other engine. It's really a hodgepodge of mix and match parts.

It's not really worth it IMO, especially since you can get the B-series swap kits for your car and just buy some B-series and plop it in.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

hmm. ok well i wanted to know what the stock hp is for these motors. i wanna know whats their downfall or gains from the A20. Hope a couple of guys can help me complete the swap if possible. i wanna get an idea or what am i getting myself into. Mostly in some performance parts and engine parts life.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Just about the only thing you can't find for the motor is the oil pan gasket from what I can remember. Everything else has a counterpart in the US that you can use, or something equivalent that will replace it. But then you gotta know that this part comes from that engine, and that part comes from some other engine. It's really a hodgepodge of mix and match parts.

It's not really worth it IMO, especially since you can get the B-series swap kits for your car and just buy some B-series and plop it in.
    Sounds like a pain. i don't mind learning about it or finding parts for it. I know they have that for our cars but i really wanna be different if not ill go with the 90's B series. does anyone know around how Much they spend to buy and get it imported?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah these b20 dont have alot of aftermarket support. hard to find parts or have to wait for stuff to get shipped.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    yeah these b20 dont have alot of aftermarket support. hard to find parts or have to wait for stuff to get shipped.
    Yeah true on the aftermarket support. i can wait for the shipping if i can find the parts that is. hmm i also read that you can "use" F22 cams? or i could be mistaking. i dont plan on doing any performance upgrades if i can't really do much. but ill be happy with it stock.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah f22 cam gear work. first try to find a 5 speed trans

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    yeah f22 cam gear work. first try to find a 5 speed trans
    Hopefully i can find one. oh will the a20 shift linkage work? or will it have to be from the same thing?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah it bolts up

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Thumbs up Re: *Guy's with J.D.M B20 Series Motor*

Awesome! Any one wanna add more info? Im getting pump

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by ShyBoyCA6 View Post
    i dont plan on doing any performance upgrades if i can't really do much. but ill be happy with it stock.

Not likely. If you aren't happy with your current engine stock then you won't be happy with any other engine stock. Don't kid yourself.

Seriously, if Messy and 2ndGenGuy tell you it's not worth the trouble, it's not worth the trouble. Those guys know what they're talking about. What is it that's so great about the B20a?

Build up your A20, or if you're really intent on doing a swap then get a B18A/B. Far more upgrade potential and you will always be able to get parts.

C|

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

I guess your right. ill stick with the A series

well the first benefit i would speak of is the extra 40hp from the a20a. yes that can be had from an A series build up but this engine is stock. You will find almost every counterpart has been sourced in the states from popular cars. the HARDEST part to find is a nice transmission. if you want a 5 speed your shipping one a distance. if you want an auto all us B20a guys have them since that's usually what these engine came with.

For the cost and ease an A series build is better. the more costly but easier then B20a is the B series swap. I would source a trans and go from there. messy is pretty local and has parts for sale for you but has no trans. Roodoo has an auto so i would ask him what he would prefer. the auto trans is the easiest unless you want to ship a trans from New Zeland. Thats my suggestion. The b20a is basically a bolt in swap for the A20a.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Only reason I've got the B20A in my car is because it's damn near a drop in, and there are no B-series mounts for the 2nd Gen. I suspect the B20A has some potential, but I haven't really seen anybody do a real build of one yet. At least not something with some real data to back up their build. One of these days I'll start buying performance parts and get mine going. But I'm more in it for the wierdness than I am for any practicality.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

i have a bellhousing that can let you use your a20 gears on the b20a bbuttttttt its a lot of money for not too much gain unless ur actually gunna build the motor and tune it properly. My rebuilt b20 is still slow

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Depends on how much you can get the set up for whether it's "it's worth it"
    I was lucky and stumbled upon a great deal on an upgrade of a guaranteed 50,000 miles or less drivetrain for less than I would have paid for a junkyard A20 alone.
    The headgasket and I guess oil pan gasket are the parts exclusive only to that motor. You can make an oil pan gasket Im sure since it's not a pressurized seal BUT the head gasket is a biggie. Since aluminum head engines do typically blow gaskets from time to time, this is important to consider.
    As for power, do the math. Stock A20A1 85 HP, B20A even the blacktop is what like 140 HP. Even though my A20A1 was not stock and was in fine shape, I reluctantly replaced it with the B20A and never looked back except in the rearview mirror heh heh.
    No don't think you're going to blow the doors off everything cuz your're not. It is simply and upgrade, one that puts the car more in the class, HP wise, as most any newer 4 cyl car. Smoother, easy breezy power but not a ball busting evo. But still, it is entertaining to toy with the mustangs and silverados of the world, feeling your car accelerate without running the piss out of it.