Thread: AC wont blow / heat wont blow AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI 90k, 1987 Mercedes 300D 204k, 1986 Mercedes 190E 16v 87k, 1965 Mustang fastback GT 350 replica

AC wont blow / heat wont blow AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just spent about 8 hrs fiddling with the f^#*ing ac and made things worse off then they were too start with!

The symptoms were that my blower motor vibrated and made noise. It had done that since day 1 when I bought it 2 yrs ago. My friend told me to take it apart and clean the motor. I took out leaves and a mouse nest out of the blower motor, it's plastic fan and the evaporator. I cleaned everything and put it back together and there was next to no air flow from the vents.

I took it apart again check the air flow from the box and it was good, I noticed the foam on the metal clamp on from than joins the evaporator box to the blower motor had worn off so I concocted a new way to tighten it up buy making a cardboard shim and wrapping it with ductape.

Slightly better but still horrible!

I took everything apart again took a low psi electric power washer and blew out the evaporator, then blew it out on both sides with an air gun.

Still horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: AC wont blow / heat wont blow AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

If you had junk in the motor and evaporator, then chances are good you have junk in the heater core and vents too.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI 90k, 1987 Mercedes 300D 204k, 1986 Mercedes 190E 16v 87k, 1965 Mustang fastback GT 350 replica

I opened up the plastic shroud under the wipers and there was nothing in there. I took a air gun and shot air through the vents and could feel it by the evaporator. I cant figure it out.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Check the fuse associated with the heat and AC. If it blows the flaps wont work correctly you'll hear air blowing but nothing really happens except defrost at best. The dash lights for vent/floor etc. wont light up. I think its a 10 amp fuse. make sure you reconnected the little motor on the air box housing and that it works.

I use that foam insulation strips from Home Depot to reseal everything up. All my foam gaskets were gone as well. The air box housing to the top of the dash has one as well its prolly gone. That box comes out its just tricky to do.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

^^^ that is true, you have to sometimes use insulation. I have actually used some expanding foam before on other vehicles I've worked on to seal up the hvac housing to the venting. Also, make sure you have all the cables hooked up & fastened down right. The mode door & blend door is critical to the proper function of the HVAC housing.

DX User
    Vehicle

The dash lights are on. I think I have a good seal with the duct tape. Before I took it apart the metal clamp on that connects the blower motor assembly and evaporator box was barley yet I got decent air. Does it matter that the foam on the air intake for the fresh air setting had deteriorated? I didn't think it would effect things because because when I ran the blower motor assembly when it was disconnected I didn't feel air coming out.

Where is the mode door & blend door? How do I check to see if they are functioning?

thanks

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Newer vehicles have a few more doors than these old beasts. I beleive these only have two doors, one for direction to the heater core & evaporator & one for direction to vents. The plastic parts inside the housing breaks in others vehicles I've seen ..
    I can't find pics of the HVAC housing & you will have to see if you can manually get to the doors.
    In full AC mode, the blend door is closed against the heater core inlet and all air flows around the heater core and directly into the vent system. In heater mode, the compressor is deactivated and the air flowing through the evaporator core has no temperature change. As before, the blend door will now direct some or all of the air flow through the heater core and into the vent system.

I
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 07-15-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: wording

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Download the manual, friend. All questions will be answered. All mysteries revealed.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW