Thread: Pinging/Ticking at idle/under load

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup

Pinging/Ticking at idle/under load

EDIT: Turns out it was the egr pipe...it split at the crimp and was letting the smallest amount of exhaust out. I found a bolt to thread in and plugged the pipe...problem solved no more tick/ping. Exhaust leaks are pesky!!!!

Ok well as some of you know I just got the accord back on the road and put my first 150 miles on it yesterday. Well at idle and under load in gear, esp 5th there is a pinging/ticking coming from what sounds like around the exhaust/tranny area. I have a pinched egr pipe and was thinking that was the culprit so i crimped it harder...still same thing. I check the valve lash after first start up and cool down and its right on spec. Checked timing today and with the vac lines connected its set at 15 btdc, like the sticker/manual says. Im running 93 octane, plugs, rotor, dist. cap are all brand new. Ive still gotta pull the plugs and check em and swap out a known good wire for each spark plug wire while its running, but Im pretty sure everything is in spec and fine. The motor is running extremely strong, so I dont think its anything internal. When Im off the throttle, coasting or cruising the ping or tick is pretty much or completely gone.
    Last edited by mushroom_toy; 07-30-2011 at 10:10 AM.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Re: Pinging/Ticking at idle/under load

Good to hear you have it running and are using it, also fixing the egr problem quickly. You're still doing the flog it method for break-in?
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).