Thread: 1984 hatchback accord clutch job

Vehicle
    1984 Honda Accord

1984 hatchback accord clutch job

Greetings fellow 2geers, I've recently performed a clutch kit install on my 84 hatchback. I've hit a bit of a snag on reassembly. Replaced the release bearing along with it. I also discovered that the rear tranny mount(anvil looking one) was rotted completely and not connected. Replacing that and bolting all of the passenger side suspension back up I figured I was done. But the driver side suspension refuses to bolt back into place. The long driver side axle slides in and clicks into place but then the lower control arm will not line up to be bolted. I've tried turning the steering to all sorts of different angles. Likewise if I bolt up the lower control arm and then try to slip the driver side axle in, there is not enough room to get the axle head lined up. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The cars been on jackstands in the front for around a month now(im repairing other stuff)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: 1984 hatchback accord clutch job

Man, that's a tough one. It kinda sounds like when you replaced that rear engine mount, you might have shifted the engine a bit. Are you sure that axle is completely seated?

I've never had a problem getting that in when I drop the lower control arm. I would try loosening the mounts all up and see if you can shift the engine around a bit. Could be that it's sort of twisted itself into a bind by having one new mount maybe...

Good luck.

Vehicle
    1984 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Man, that's a tough one. It kinda sounds like when you replaced that rear engine mount, you might have shifted the engine a bit. Are you sure that axle is completely seated?

I've never had a problem getting that in when I drop the lower control arm. I would try loosening the mounts all up and see if you can shift the engine around a bit. Could be that it's sort of twisted itself into a bind by having one new mount maybe...

Good luck.
    I figured that was a possibility, I've been using a number of jacks to lift and lower the engine and tranny to work all of the parts into place. Before the control arm was about 7 inches from lining up correctly. I noticed the tranny sat 7 inches from the rear mount position as well, so i jacked it up and attatched the rear mount and a few accessories. Now it's only about 1 inch off.

The axle seems to be seating correctly,which is really strange since I pulled the driver side axle out last after disassembly and left the suspension on that side mostly intact. I'm going to try jacking up different parts of the engine and tranny. If that doesn't work I'll try to pop the axle out of the hub side and work from there.
    1984 Honda Accord
    1981 Honda CB900 Custom
    1979 Honda Twinstar

Vehicle
    1984 Honda Accord

Problem Fixed ! Ok so after checking the Chilton's, Service Manual, and the faq on the forum again I couldn't find any part of the process that I didn't perform correctly. I did skip the removal of the lower control arm assembly but I don't think that was the source of the problem. Basically wiggling the driver side axle after it had seated gave a strange clicking noise that I hadn't heard before. I pulled the hub side out and snatched the axle out completely. Walked it into my living room, set it on the table on newspaper and popped off the rubber boot. The greased rollers came tumbling out.

The axle was not of the proper length because it was disassembled. I probably yanked on the axle shaft at some point when taking the tranny out. Live and Learn!
    1984 Honda Accord
    1981 Honda CB900 Custom
    1979 Honda Twinstar