Thread: Carb problems, I think...

DX User

Carb problems, I think...

1986 Accord 4 door carburetor. I live in a town approx 1400 feet above sea level, I work in a town approx 2400 feet. The problem is as follows... In my home town the car runs perfect, when I get to exactly the same point on the mountain I have to travel to work the car starts stalling out really bad, acts like it's not getting enough fuel. This only happens on a hill though, on flat land it runs great even at the higher elevation. At the lower elevation it has no trouble at all climbing hills, it does great up 3/4's of the mountain I have to travel except when it hits that exact same point in the freeway. This spot is no more steep than the rest of the mountain, the only difference being that it's higher in elevation. I read in the manual that the fuel injected models have a BARO (or altitude sensor) in the left side of the trunk, but it says nothing about one in the carb models. Tried to research it online and 1/3 say it has one, 1/3 say it doesn't, and the rest say it's built into the MAP sensor. I have now read that the carb models don't have a MAP sensor at all, which I can't seem to find in the manual I have anyway. Advance Auto says there is a seperate BARO sensor but it's a dealer part. Autozone says the carb models aren't even listed in their computer system, and O'reilley's says it has a BARO sensor but no MAP sensor. I'm losing my mind here. I assumed the issue was due to some type of altitude sensor but I may be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Carb problems, I think...

I believe you are looking for the Air Jet Controller. That functions as the baro device on these carbs. If you want to do more reading about it, you can download the manual here. It begins on p. 11-25. It's an '89 manual, but it should still be helpful.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

Thanks so much. The repair manual actually shows the exact car I have in it's diagrams. You've really helped alot. Now I'm off to find the air jet and see if it's defective, I noticed it has a filter which I will check first. I will definately let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

DX User

I took the peice apart, to see how it works, then put it back in and adjusted it allowing a little air in at the lower elevation hoping it would open enough at the top of the mountain. Took it for a test drive up the Mt. around 12 noon and it did great. My step daughter drove it back upm the Mt. at 6pm to work and it started acting up again. I'm going to open it a little more tomorrow and see if it does any better.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

how much gas is in the tank when it happens and does that make any difference?
    do you get a whoosh when you open the cap to put in gas?

DX User

About half a tank whenever I drive it. Doesn't make the vacuum noise when I remove the cap. Wondering if I can open the air jet part all the way allowing more air in at both elevations. I opened it a little more today but haven't had a chance to test drive it.