Thread: Stand alone fuel management system

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx

Exclamation Stand alone fuel management system

Has anyone used a stand alone fuel management system on these cars. Would like to know. I'm going to be using one on my car. Will use either AEM system or SDS system. Leaning more towards SDS. Let me know if any has used a stand alone fuel management system.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 & 87 CRX Si

Re: Stand alone fuel management system

I have used the SDS system with great success on a race only motor - it was easy to setup and tune and was spot on reliable, it never gave me a hickup once.

Kirk

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx

How well would you think it would be on the street? I wonder if there system would like the cold nebraska winters we get lol.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

I'm not familiar with those systems but as long as they have some sort of coolant temperature based fuel compensation, they should work ok in the winter. As for which to use, I would say use whichever your tuner is familiar with. If you plan to tune yourself then get whichever one you feel more comfortable tuning. See if you can get the manuals and rear them cover to cover before buying.

If you're good with electronics you could get a Megasquirt system for less than either SDS or AEM. It will be more work to setup but it's an incredibly flexible system.

I would also strongly suggest you consider controlling ignition as well as fuel. Ignition tuning is really where all the power gains are to be had. And the stock distributors are getting rather tired after 20+ years. Crank triggers and distributor-less ignitions are the way of the future.

C|

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx

Oh ok yeah it does have a temp sensor with it and also controls the ignition system too. As for the distributorless systems, I'm a diesel technicain so I can see it being the future. I guess you could say diesel is already in the future? Just damn expensive but worth the money. Not knocking gas engines. I love both. That brings me to looking up diesel honda engines. Anyways thanks guys.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by neo_blue_accord View Post
    Oh ok yeah it does have a temp sensor with it and also controls the ignition system too. As for the distributorless systems, I'm a diesel technicain so I can see it being the future. I guess you could say diesel is already in the future? Just damn expensive but worth the money. Not knocking gas engines. I love both. That brings me to looking up diesel honda engines. Anyways thanks guys.

Diesel!

I have a VW diesel powered Samurai that I need to get put back together before winter. Started rebuilding the engine and just never finished it. So many projects, so little time/money.

C|