Thread: 1st gen civic help

1st gen civic help

I will try to make this short and to the point...

I just bought a 77 cvcc civic... I hadn't had a chance to dive until today due to me having a son aug 3rd... I take off in the car today on my way to work... I get to the first stop sign, full stop and go... I get the next stop sign and do a rolling stop... The car stumbles a little but picks right back up just fine... make a few more complete stops and the car is fine... Fill the car up with gas and hit the highway... Running 60mph, light ahead is red but before I can fully stop the light changes... Again the car stumbles but picks right back up fine... Next light is red... Complete stop--- the car dies... Put it in park and re crank the car... Runs for a min and dies again... Try to start it again and it will not even turn the engine over... At this point the light is green and I have o push the car off the side of the road and had it towed home... I had to work today so I havent tried anything yet

Any info will help... I have another 77 non-cvcc at home I can steal some parts from to get it running again

And thank you in advance

Re: 1st gen civic help

Also to add...

Is the fuel pump external near the gas tank... And should it be making a clicking noise

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCIVIC View Post
    Is the fuel pump external near the gas tank... And should it be making a clicking noise
    Yes on both, though only operates for a few seconds after the key is turned unless the engine is running so it doesn't keep pumping out a leaking fuel line.

No useful ideas though.
    Unless you count thoughts that a leaking/faulty brake booster can to funny things to engine idle when you step on brakes.
    But then I'm glad not to have much/any experience of CVCC or Hondamatic & all those extra vacuum lines everywhere.

I'm not sure what I did but it is running once again

I took the battery and the starter to have tested and both of the mare good... I put them bacjk in the car and checked a few wire connection to be sure they are all tight and tried starting the car... Fired right up

I have drove it around the neighborohood a few times and all seem to be good to go... little to scared to go down the road just yet

DX User

yup check for vacum leak