Thread: Engine swap recommended for turbocharging?

Vehicle
    '89 DX Sedan (RIP), Very Special '87 LX-i Hatch

Engine swap recommended for turbocharging?

I have an '89 DX that I'm looking to turbocharge. Still has the stock engine, although I'm planning to throw in a Weber 32/36, and already has the 5-speed manual trans.

Anyway...is it at all necessary to do an engine swap and/or EFI conversion before I install the turbo?
    Last edited by Samwise; 08-23-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Re: Engine swap recommended for turbocharging?

Here Sam, check out all the numerous threads in the forced induction section, it will answer all your questions..

https://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Vehicle
    '89 DX Sedan (RIP), Very Special '87 LX-i Hatch

I found out what I needed to find out. There exist turbos specifically for carbs, known as blow-throughs, that would work. I'd need to ditch the Keihin, but I was planning on that anyway...and I wouldn't need to swap, just tune a little.

if you feel like it.

LX User

Um... not quite.

There's no special turbo for a blow-through carb system. There's also a draw through design, as well. HIGHLY recommend you go EFI before you turbo, if you want the best all around experience.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Convert to fi an the. Boost . Make sure you have good compression. An pull your pan an check bearing clearance . If ok your good for 8-12 psi daily .

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

i already answered this for you on facebook, but once again, go FI for turbo, yes there are special carbs for turbo, but they are all designed for v8 setups, the carb has special modifications and jetting, there were a few webbers way back like that, but you aren't going to find those. It's also very difficult to set up and tune a turbocharged carb setup, most forced induction carb setups are the carbs on top of a supercharger operating as a draw through setup. Just find a doner car for all the FI parts and go through that route.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    i already answered this for you on facebook, but once again, go FI for turbo, yes there are special carbs for turbo, but they are all designed for v8 setups, the carb has special modifications and jetting, there were a few webbers way back like that, but you aren't going to find those. It's also very difficult to set up and tune a turbocharged carb setup, most forced induction carb setups are the carbs on top of a supercharger operating as a draw through setup. Just find a doner car for all the FI parts and go through that route.
    Nope, if you REALLY want to boost on a budget - you just need to enclose the carb (completely) and go. As long as you have the same pressure to the float bowl vent as you do pre-venturi, the carb will run just fine.

By 'enclosing' the carb, you've not changed the way the carb functions - merely put the entire carb under a new, higher 'atmospheric pressure', at least from the carb's POV.

The major problem is that a carb is only good across a very narrow range - and with a boosted engine, you're operating over a very wide range. Hence, EFI before boost.

Draw through carb systems are easier to fuel - as the carb just sees a big engine. I REALLY hate the idea of compressing air and fuel through the turbo, though... *shudder*

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Doward View Post
    Nope, if you REALLY want to boost on a budget - you just need to enclose the carb (completely) and go. As long as you have the same pressure to the float bowl vent as you do pre-venturi, the carb will run just fine.

By 'enclosing' the carb, you've not changed the way the carb functions - merely put the entire carb under a new, higher 'atmospheric pressure', at least from the carb's POV.

The major problem is that a carb is only good across a very narrow range - and with a boosted engine, you're operating over a very wide range. Hence, EFI before boost.

Draw through carb systems are easier to fuel - as the carb just sees a big engine. I REALLY hate the idea of compressing air and fuel through the turbo, though... *shudder*
    I know about the carb enclosure, but in the case of these cars he will be much happier with a FI setup, he needs a doner car and a weekend and he will be good to go, to at least have it running on the factory FI system first

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Doward View Post
    Nope, if you REALLY want to boost on a budget - Buy a different car.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

LX User

LMAO!

Expense to turbo a car is inversely proportional to your fabrication skills imho