Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B2K5 hole in case

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

B2K5 hole in case

Okay 3geezers help me out here. I got my B20A Gold top Friday and was excited as hell until I got home. When I got home me and my fiance discovered a hole in the tranny case I didn't notice when I picked up. I was too busy trying to find the parts and pieces in the guys shop. Kind of pissed me off, the dude sent me 4 pics of the whole unit, motor and trans. When i get there he has them separated. Half shaft missing, clutch missing, starter missing etc.... Thank god I found the half shaft and inner joint in his trash pile but not the rest. Anyways my question is do you guys think this case is reparable or is it trash? If it's trash do any of you guys have a good B2K5 case laying around you can part with? The guy was nice enough to say he'll refund me what it costs to fix or repair the case, of course I'm sure that's within reason, meaning he's not going to pay for a new case.

Here it is. If he would off left the unit together this probably wouldn't have happened. Clearly was pushed into something, hit with a tool maybe or pushed by the forklift?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Went and got the shifter and pedals out of a junkyard donor to convert it over to a 5 speed today. So when I get this transmission case fixed all I need is a starter, clutch, distributor, header and a reman left side axle for a 88 - 89 prelude 2.0 si. Of course I'm going to put new belts on it and probably throw a gasket kit into it while it's on the ground. May get a cam set too haven't decided yet? It's going to be N/A like roodoo2's but I will stick with my Holley but may put a 500 on it instead of the 350 I got now. That of course will depend on how bad it tanks my mileage.
    Last edited by apache07x; 08-27-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Re: B2K5 hole in case

looks like its been dropped on it, the metal is thin there. someone can patch it up for you and it should be sweet.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    looks like its been dropped on it, the metal is thin there. someone can patch it up for you and it should be sweet.
    Cool Thanks man. That was my concern if that area was strained a lot.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Quote Originally Posted by apache07x View Post
    Cool Thanks man. That was my concern if that area was strained a lot.
    its right on the end where a shaft bearing sits, since its in the center theres not much stress on it.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

You should be able to have it tig welded but i would seperate the case to be sure no debris got inside the case. These transmissions are not the easiest to get so getting just a case is a long shot. If you seperate the case make sure you know how to do it as there is a retaining clip you have to depress before you pull the case apart.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by RobT5580 View Post
    You should be able to have it tig welded but i would seperate the case to be sure no debris got inside the case. These transmissions are not the easiest to get so getting just a case is a long shot. If you seperate the case make sure you know how to do it as there is a retaining clip you have to depress before you pull the case apart.
    Got it apart okay, very easily actually. Now hopefully someone around here can weld it up for me?

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Yup, have this thing welded (TIG welded if you can).

Where I live, there's a guy that repails boat impelers. I'm sure most of them are used to TIG weld aluminium.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle

Got it welded up for $30 and ordered all new seals for it.

Vehicle

Okay I guess I'll make this thread my B20A update thread instead of starting another new thread. As I said I got the hole in the trans case welded up and new seals for it. Now I have the transmission back together but waiting on one of the seals that was packaged wrong.

The seals I ordered were Timken part #'s:

1036 Right side axle
    239146 Left side half shaft / axle whatever you like to call it
    221607 shifter shaft seal

I also ordered an input shaft seal but didn't realize I should of put it in there while I had the transmission apart. I decided not to tear it back apart completely removing the gears to replace it now. I've not seen a lot of these leak so I'm praying this one won't. The number on this is Timken 222742 all of these are standard A20 5 speed numbers so I'm sure I'm not really shedding much light here but it may help somebody. I've confirmed personally the 1036 and 239146 fit. The shift seal was posted by carotman to work in one of his posts but I haven't tried it yet: however, I'm pretty certain it will since the others do.

Here's a pick of the case welded up.

SEi User

Bloody hell what bunch of animals! lol! can't believe they wasted an axle by sawing through talk about lazy!! And then bust the transmission case to boot!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey View Post
    Bloody hell what bunch of animals! lol! can't believe they wasted an axle by sawing through talk about lazy!! And then bust the transmission case to boot!
    Yeah they wasted both axles. Cut them in half with a torch. Clutch bolts gone, half shaft bolts gone, transmission to motor bolts gone. I just don't get people that throw stuff away and or destroy it like that, like it's trash? Must be nice to have that much money? I wouldn't know that's for sure. I got on to my 19 y/o son last weekend we went and got the pedals, shifter, instrument cluster etc out of a hatchie in the junk yard to convert mine to a manual, poor car was still in really good shape, anyways my son started framing on stuff and I was like hey quit that just because we don't need that piece doesn't mean someone else won't there aren't a lot of them around anymore.

Vehicle

Anyone know which AC Compressor this is on my B20A? I know I've seen this style before but can't remember on what? The fittings and belt are different on my A20 in the car and was hoping someone knew of a USDM compressor that might work without making custom AC hoses / lines or is that the way to go?

Lostforawhile where are you?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

custom ac hose wont be a big deal really, you need the proper end though so try looking at preludes I would say.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    custom ac hose wont be a big deal really, you need the proper end though so try looking at preludes I would say.
    That's what I was thinking Guy. It does have one of the ends on it, the bolt on one, but the screw on line fitting is gone. I got a few months to dig around I hope or longer if I have to ice it a while? Times are hard so who knows it may be a couple of years before it gets in? I hope not though.

Vehicle

Okay Mitsubishi header will fit with some hole stretching...lol Three middle holes line up and 2 middle ports need to be matched just a little. The rest well some serious port matching on 1 and 4 and some bolt holes made bigger / re-drilled

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

That looks great! The prelude B20A5 header looks just like that, the problem is the downpipe for the prelude won't work without exteme modifications.

I had to go out in the parking lot to look at mine, everything is in the same place as yours as far as the header pipes.

Im wondering how close the mitsu downpipe is to fitting in.. I may want to change mine one day because I have an extreme 90 bend that I can hear it ringing sometimes from the flow. not good

Vehicle

Guy the downpipe clears everything fine on the engine. I jacked it up to make sure it would clear and actually had it bolted on as well. My only concern is by how far it clears the engine, 2 to 3" I'm guessing, and that it may drag the ground on a hard bump or speed bumps and such. I haven't really looked too hard yet but I guess if it's needed it may be able to be shortened some? Since the B20 uses the same mounts I'm guessing it sit's about the same in the car as an A20? Which could be a problem for ground clearance? :D

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

For what engine is that header?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Guy the downpipe clears everything fine on the engine. I jacked it up to make sure it would clear and actually had it bolted on as well. My only concern is by how far it clears the engine, 2 to 3" I'm guessing, and that it may drag the ground on a hard bump or speed bumps and such. I haven't really looked too hard yet but I guess if it's needed it may be able to be shortened some? Since the B20 uses the same mounts I'm guessing it sit's about the same in the car as an A20? Which could be a problem for ground clearance? :D
    it can be cut and rewelded at the flange, its what I did to change the angle. and how about the plate at the rear of the downpipe that bolts but to the block? there really needs to be some support there because I still havent attached mine there and because of that I have strange vibrations still. IT stresses the header Im pretty sure.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Nafs Asdf View Post
    For what engine is that header?
    That is for a ECLIPSE/TALON 2.0L 89-94 NON TURBO T304 HEADER/EXHAUST. I got it off of ebay and here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECLIP...mZ150602046548

Obviously it doesn't bolt straight on but with some mods it will be fine I believe

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    it can be cut and rewelded at the flange, its what I did to change the angle. and how about the plate at the rear of the downpipe that bolts but to the block? there really needs to be some support there because I still havent attached mine there and because of that I have strange vibrations still. IT stresses the header Im pretty sure.
    Well after I looked at my header that's on the car now I'm thinking I may be okay on clearance? The OBX I have on the car now is a 4 into 1 so I have 4 downpipes running under the oil pan where this new one only has 2. So there's a bigger air gap on this new header between it and the oil pan is what I'm thinking.

There is a bracket on this new header to run up to a mount or whatever. Obviously that mount isn't there on our cars but with a little fabrication.......

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp

Okay 3geezers help me out here. I got my B20A Gold top Friday and was excited as hell until I got home. When I got home me and my fiance discovered a hole in the tranny case I didn't notice when I picked up. I was too busy trying to find the parts and pieces in the guys shop. Kind of pissed me off, the dude sent me 4 pics of the whole unit, motor and trans. When i get there he has them separated. Half shaft missing, clutch missing, starter missing etc.... Thank god I found the half shaft and inner joint in his trash pile but not the rest. Anyways my question is do you guys think this case is reparable or is it trash? If it's trash do any of you guys have a good B2K5 case laying around you can part with? The guy was nice enough to say he'll refund me what it costs to fix or repair the case, of course I'm sure that's within reason, meaning he's not going to pay for a new case.

Here it is. If he would off left the unit together this probably wouldn't have happened. Clearly was pushed into something, hit with a tool maybe or pushed by the forklift?

Went and got the shifter and pedals out of a junkyard donor to convert it over to a 5 speed today. So when I get this transmission case fixed all I need is a starter, clutch, distributor, header and a reman left side axle for a 88 - 89 prelude 2.0 si. Of course I'm going to put new belts on it and probably throw a gasket kit into it while it's on the ground. May get a cam set too haven't decided yet? It's going to be N/A like roodoo2's but I will stick with my Holley but may put a 500 on it instead of the 350 I got now. That of course will depend on how bad it tanks my mileage.
    My (gold top) tranny wound up with a big crack, and a big (small, but big for a transmission) hole in it. I noticed that shifting got tougher and I was grinding a few gears. After dropping the tranny, we found a huge hole, filled it, welded it, and took out all of the innards, sprayed it with brake fluid and cleaned it out, put all of the gears back in, oiled everything back up, and everything seems to work very well.

I'm nervous about having welded the hole closed by filling it and using a Mig welder, but my friend who did it for me is actually a professional welder at Cornell University and makes MASSIVE things out of metal (and his own car parts) all of the time.

He actually offered me ITB's he made for his old civic, but the distance between the intake ports on the head are slightly different.

Success so far here, with that fix. Lots of metal shavings inside the case when we took it apart. It was a ticking time bomb!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

b20a gearboxes seem to be pretty shitty lol

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Versanick View Post
    My (gold top) tranny wound up with a big crack, and a big (small, but big for a transmission) hole in it. I noticed that shifting got tougher and I was grinding a few gears. After dropping the tranny, we found a huge hole, filled it, welded it, and took out all of the innards, sprayed it with brake fluid and cleaned it out, put all of the gears back in, oiled everything back up, and everything seems to work very well.

I'm nervous about having welded the hole closed by filling it and using a Mig welder, but my friend who did it for me is actually a professional welder at Cornell University and makes MASSIVE things out of metal (and his own car parts) all of the time.

He actually offered me ITB's he made for his old civic, but the distance between the intake ports on the head are slightly different.

Success so far here, with that fix. Lots of metal shavings inside the case when we took it apart. It was a ticking time bomb!
    Yeah mine was actually in a JDM warehouse for God knows how long and I'm sure moved around a million times. It looks like they actually hit the end with a forklift, hammer or whatever as the broke piece was laying on top of the shaft. I haven't put the car together yet but I had it done professionally as well. I think it will be fine.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

thats cause they are tiny gearboxes. b16a1 ef/DA cable boxes are simular and they blow up left rigfht and center too.

im good to see someone has actually got a mitsi header onto a b20a. id like mote pics of what had to be done to fit it thanks