Thread: please help!

DX User

please help!

I have an 87 lx-i and I have a code 12. I connected a vacuum pump to the egr and pulled vacuum. This stalled the engine. Also there was no vacuum going to the egr or to the solenoid. Vacuum is at 8-10 from the CVC but there is no vacuum coming from the air chamber... Should there be? I cleaned the filters with compressed air and reset the ecu but the PGM-FI light still comes on anywhere from 1 min to 5 min. Any ideas. I am sick of this light!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: please help!

Did you check the wiring for breaks etc.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User

No I did not. Should I do that visually? What would be the best way?

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

use a test light and the "wiggle test" , just move the wires around to see if you loose continuity. also clean the filter for the sensor in the black box, this can cause a code 12

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Remove the EGR valve and apply vacuum to it. If it "sticks," even slightly, in its travel you are getting the code because the EGR lift sensor (integral with the valve) "thinks" the valve isn't opening. This is exactly what mine did several years ago and the ultimate fix was replacing the valve. Yes, it was $140, but it eliminated the light.

I think this issue may be more common than I thought. I even replaced two of the parts in the "black box" before replacing the EGR so benefit from my wasted money!

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    use a test light and the "wiggle test" , just move the wires around to see if you loose continuity. also clean the filter for the sensor in the black box, this can cause a code 12
    I am having the same problem in my car and i have taken apart the black box and i dont kno where this filter is so could you elaborate on where it is? or maybe a picture of said filter?

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

Can nobody help me????