Thread: halp

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

halp

got my engine rebuilt and installed, but now it simply will not run. alas, when finishing up the rebuild, i overlooked installing the rear main seal. lulz ensued upon initial starting, where i hear that it did run fine without any cel. however, the first start was not done by myself but by another member bc the car was at his house. once he discovered that i had forgotten to install the seal, he just left everything alone. fast forward about 3 or 4 weeks to this past weekend. i pulled the tranny, flywheel, etc. and installed the seal. put everything back together, it looked fine. everything plugged in and looking good. after charging the battery, went to turn it on. first time, it turned on, albeit with a high idle that i thought was somewhat low, barely above 1000. nevertheless, we let it run and warm up. as expected, the idle dropped once the car was warm. that meant it was at a meager 600 rpm or so and dying. with the pedal on the floor, it was barely holding that for another minute or two before dying completely. it will now not start at all, but turning it does get it to catch on occasion if pedal is pressed all the way.
    at first, there were no codes being thrown. after it cranked for awhile, we got a code 5. we checked the vacuum hoses and the map itself, but nothing seemed amiss. changed the throttle body, and it went away. however, car still would not start. did a check to make sure it was getting fuel and spark, and both are being delivered as scheduled. thought maybe iacv, so switched that with a spare as well, still same results. this time, got cel for iacv and that's where we stopped last night. not sure what else to check, all wires and vacuum hoses seem fine. including a video of a cranking attempt as well:
    [youtube]http://youtu.be/ZyZjVn0EK3Y[/youtube]

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: halp

I;d drain the oil out and look at it real close JIC the motors seizing first off.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: halp

I'd get the CEL sorted. If the MAP has taken a vacation, it will be hard to get the motor to run right. Troubleshooting sequences are on pp. 12-22 and 12-24 of the manual.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW