Thread: New 1988 Accord lx 5 spd, high idle? 135k

DX User

Question New 1988 Accord lx 5 spd, high idle? 135k

i recently bought a 1988 accord lx 4 door 5 speed, and the car smells a bit like fuel, and at start up it has high idle up to 4k rpm, but not while in gears, (1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th) all fine, but neutral and start up has high rpm other than that car drives fine...

he told me he had the carb replaced and he belives its a sticky butterfly, idk if anyone had heard of this problem, it would be a much appreciated help. Thanks...

DX User

Re: New 1988 Accord lx 5 spd, high idle? 135k

Also feels like its running on fumes but gas in it

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Fuel smell is probably a bad charcoal canister. For the other things, it sounds like the carb needs some additional adjustment.

Try to describe "running on fumes" a little more.

Also, help me understand what happens when you put the car in gear to make the idle drop to normal. It doesn't make sense that just putting a manual transmission into gear would make the idle drop.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

when i say feels like it is running off fumes, it runs rough. if i let it idle, it will stay around 1k (but the needle budges very slightly moving up and down very very little and sounds like it has a aftermarket race cam on it lol. if i slowly raise the rpm it will stay running like its a race car till i reach about 4k and the car will run smooth, but only at anything over 3k...

Also... its not rasing the idle much any more, but what i meant was this, lets say im driving down the road in 3rd gear, if i press the clutch the rpm drops and the clutch is disengaged then say i put it in neutral and i take my foot off the clutch the rpms will rise to 4k and then after a while it will run regular while in neutral. but this isent happening much anymore, its more of the rough idle while running. havent had a chance to drive it sense theres no tags on it...

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Fuel smell is probably a bad charcoal canister. For the other things, it sounds like the carb needs some additional adjustment.

Try to describe "running on fumes" a little more.

Also, help me understand what happens when you put the car in gear to make the idle drop to normal. It doesn't make sense that just putting a manual transmission into gear would make the idle drop.
    ???

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

If the car spends a lot of time sitting, it will develop odd running symptoms like rough idles, hesitation, etc. If you drive it regularly, it should all go away after a while.

For the racing when you let the clutch out in neutral, I'll confess I'm stumped. Try checking the routing of your clutch cable. See if it's laying across the throttle cable or something.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86dx hatch

Huh, this is funny, I'm having some of these same issues with my new 87'sedan I put on the road recently.

When I first got it on the road(6 weeks ago) it would high idle normally without any issues. A little aggravating after driving with a weber and having control over high idle.

But, about a week ago the high idle started acting funky. After startup it sits at 2k for a few seconds and then drops to 11-1200, with a rough lopey idle, and its misfiring/backfiring. I give it a little gas and it smooths out over 2k. Let off and back to a shaky, lopey idle.

It takes about a minute or so of either feathering the gas, or driving, and then the fast idle finally kicks in, and shoots up to 3k. The funny thing is, when i put in the clutch, even in neutral, it drops my fast idle about 1k rpms. put it out and it starts racing again. Once warm, it runs fine. 1k rpm idle nice and smooth, and the clutch has no effect on engine rpm.