Thread: 1983 Honda Accord Sedan EK1 engine swap

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 honda accord sedan LX

1983 Honda Accord Sedan EK1 engine swap

Hey everybody, i have a 1983 honda accord with an EK1 stock engine. I know they changed the mounts and whole engine in 84 so i was wondering what i could just drop in it for more horsepower. Im not looking to customize my engine mounts and axles. I would love a B20A or even better a B18C. I was thinking of getting a brand new EK1 engine and modding that but im not sure of many mods for it. Im looking to eventually get 160-180hp. Any advice for more horsepower would be great, prices for parts much appreciated. Thank you

DX User
    Vehicle

Re: 1983 Honda Accord Sedan EK1 engine swap

anyone???

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

If you aren't looking to customize mounts and axles, then you have the most powerful E-series engine that will fit into your car. It's unlikely that you'll get 160-180hp out of the EK1 unless you have a full race build done on it. I mean every part would have to be machined, tweaked, and customized to get any power out of that motor. You'd need huge valves, crazy cam, custom pistons, lightened and balanced crank, super high compression pistons, huge carbs, custom exhaust, mega port-n-polish, probably custom work done to the rockers, custom valve springs, custom header, custom intake manifold. It would probably cost you a small fortune to get the engine built to such crazy specs. And then you'd be pretty lucky to hit numbers like that. I've seen 1200cc Civics putting out that kind of horsepower, but you don't want to know how much money went into them, and they're also dedicated race cars. Look up Ichiban's B20A swap if you want to see what goes into a basic swap. It's the same work as putting in an A20, and probably requires the least amount of modifications of any engine swap. If you want a B18, then you have to start with what he did, and add more work customizing mounts.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 11-02-2011 at 02:53 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle

Thank you for the reply it is much appreciated. The B20A looks like the winner in this situation. Where can i get a good quality B20A and approximately how long would a swap take because my accord is my daily driver i need it running. Also how big of a change will the B20 be power wise as opposed to what i have now and will this require changing to EFI as well?

DX User
    Vehicle

also, the custom engine mounts would not be a problem but working on the axle is a little bit beyond my knowledge and tool arsenal i believe. What would have to be done with the axle. Last, any other parts that would have to be changed to handle the b20a

DX User
    Vehicle

would i just be better of selling my 83:'( and getting an 84 where the b20a could just drop in? I would really rather not

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

You can do it but oh man is it a pain in the ass. My swap thread began in 2007, parts gathering/fabricating for the swap began in 2005, and all the planning and research started in as early as 2002. Swap completed, summer 2010. Have fun, enjoy the reading.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"