Thread: j32a1 in the 88 lx?

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 accord lx 4dr 96 blazer 96 silverado

j32a1 in the 88 lx?

I'm looking at one right now for $200 guy got stuck with it.

also there is a 00 tl that hit a deer for 800? is this even pheasible? I need a trans and an engine anyway, why not go stupid right?

this will be my first swap, but I've changed engines in other vehicles before and having the whole parts car should super help right?

any help would be appreciated.

SEi User

Re: j32a1 in the 88 lx?

If you have the welding equipment and fabricating skills to mount it up then why not the world is your oyster!! You might need to create a tubular front end to fit it all in but if the axles are the same ends and gearbox is roughly same position can't see why you couldn't just find a way of mounting it up. Biggest hurdles are as you say the wiring etc. and as you have the whole car you can carefully take what you need and plum it in to yours. Would be a mamoth task and don't forget all that extra weight is going to make it handle like a battle ship round corners!! To be honest there are better engine choices to go for but at least you'd be different and if it did fit you may even be able to fit some NSX goodies into it to get power up a bit, I think the block is the same at least?
    Personally though I think a H23 hybrid is best for outright N/A grunt versus weight up front, or even a well built B16 with B18 internals, or B20 hybrid (newer one not B20A). K series are too much money and are round the other way making life a bit tricky. Other than that maybe a 5 cylinder honda engine could be fun!! lol!!

DX User
    Vehicle

yea I'm lookin at other swaps on here, I was thinkin crv awd 5 speed, mini sti? haha this acura I was lookin at is an auto. I'd really like to ditch the slushbox so I think I'm gonna look into crv swappage. It's a shame, I would've loved to see that big ass v6 in there, but to have to swap the tranny again would probably be enough to make me wanna burn the car :/

DX User
    Vehicle

it was a short lived idea, I saw a 93 eg hatch on craigslist with an 03 j32 and six speed it looks like a bad little ride, but I dont have 7500 so I said why not beast out the 3g?! but between noone having done it and that much work to make it go, I just want it to run, so I can fix my other vehicles and then tear it down for a real build.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

This is honestly my idea for my car once my other built engine blows

Anything is possible! I say do it!!!
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    This is honestly my idea for my car once my other built engine blows

Anything is possible! I say do it!!!
    what about the auto? isn't the ecu different from the manual? I should just look for a parts car that already has a stick shouldn't I?

Vehicle
    1987/ACCORD/HATCH

Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey View Post
    If you have the welding equipment and fabricating skills to mount it up then why not the world is your oyster!! You might need to create a tubular front end to fit it all in but if the axles are the same ends and gearbox is roughly same position can't see why you couldn't just find a way of mounting it up. Biggest hurdles are as you say the wiring etc. and as you have the whole car you can carefully take what you need and plum it in to yours. Would be a mamoth task and don't forget all that extra weight is going to make it handle like a battle ship round corners!! To be honest there are better engine choices to go for but at least you'd be different and if it did fit you may even be able to fit some NSX goodies into it to get power up a bit, I think the block is the same at least?
    Personally though I think a H23 hybrid is best for outright N/A grunt versus weight up front, or even a well built B16 with B18 internals, or B20 hybrid (newer one not B20A). K series are too much money and are round the other way making life a bit tricky. Other than that maybe a 5 cylinder honda engine could be fun!! lol!!
    Hey do u know how much fabrication has to be done for the H23? I built a G23 for my prelude and would Def put one in my 3G if there's not to much.

Vehicle

Well I can help you a lot of you really are thinking about this.. I had a 02 TL, and know a lot about them.. I just helped my buddy do a 6 speed swap on his 03 TL... You can use the auto engine and ecu. You'll have to get a "module" to make ecu think it's manual.. if that makes any sense.. or you could just get a cl-s 6 speed donor car, that's the easiest..
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 87Lxi3dr View Post
    Hey do u know how much fabrication has to be done for the H23? I built a G23 for my prelude and would Def put one in my 3G if there's not to much.
    All custom mounts, and axles.. B swap would be much easier..
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    Well I can help you a lot of you really are thinking about this.. I had a 02 TL, and know a lot about them.. I just helped my buddy do a 6 speed swap on his 03 TL... You can use the auto engine and ecu. You'll have to get a "module" to make ecu think it's manual.. if that makes any sense.. or you could just get a cl-s 6 speed donor car, that's the easiest..
    To save my life, I couldn't tell you what I really wanna do with this car. someone mentioned weight, that's a little bit of a turn off the main reason I like 3geez's are their light weight. kinda drives like a go-cart, as my brother puts it.

I guess I could just stick with the auto. We'll have to see if the mustang sells this weekend and get some funds together.

I'm looking at an lxi, not sure whats wrong with it.

The most promising option yet is a 96 integra with a b18b and a b16 trans. its a complete running car minus interior heads tails and wheels.

SEi User

Just build up the original engine much easier :0)
    H22/23 is quite a bit of work but it has been done and probably less grief than the V6 not to mention lighter.
    But overall for a less painful exercise B18/16 of somekind is better, depends what your ultimate goal is for the car, if you like the handling just keep the original engine build it up a bit, and then lighten the car and spend money on suspension parts that way you won't need to worry so much about the engine if you can corner quicker.

DX User
    Vehicle

in all capacities, I'm set back :/ I just went to the used tool flea market aka hamilton tools in beaver falls, pa

last time I was there, they had 4 new and 3 used pipe benders in all flavors. 25 ton 50 ton and no plasma cutters. pretty bummed but next saturday I'll have to go to harbor freight and see what they have.

I did score an engine crane for fifty and a new toolbox for 12