Thread: Gas fumes

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 LXi coupe

Gas fumes

New to the board, 89 accord Lxi, well so far I have changed the cv axles, tune up. I need to replace the clutch, but what concerns me is I smell gas fumes in the car. I have tried look for leaks but can't find any. However on 2 of my injectors they do look a little wet at times so I'm thinking about replacing them and see. Any other suggestions?

Re: Gas fumes

It does sound like the injectors. They pretty much all eventually leak at the joint between the plastic and metal parts. If you have the money I recommend replacing all of them once you have the fuel rail disassembled. I ended up having to take mine apart two or three times over the course of two years because I replaced only the ones that were leaking. I guess it just depends upon your money/inconvenience ratio.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

other things to check are, pull up the rear seat to inspect the access covers for the fuel tank sender.. sometimes they pop loose.
    Also the fuel lines actually run INSIDE the car on the driver side floor boards. We may see more and more these lines rusting out and seeping some fumes before they completly open up to an actual leak.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 LXi coupe

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check the lines, tank and the injectors.

IDK, the wet injectors are a sure sign to me. Any of these LXi's still on the road that have original injectors probably need them replaced. The funny thing is that I replaced mine in excess of twelve years ago so it seems that the the replacement injectors outlast the originals.

oem injectors are over $100 each. I would start with replacing the orings first unless you have $ like that..........
    also check your charcoal canister for cracks
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

The o-rings are almost never the issue. It's the injectors, believe me.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I agree, they get cooked... I just went to the junkyard and found a low miles 4th gen injectors and bought them all for less than 30 bucks. Then I had all new seals in a gasket set I had already.
    If you do that make sure to grab the resistor that goes with whatever set of injectors you get from most any Honda in the 87-93 range.

Still got a gas smell, my covers were off in the back, hell there just stuck on with mastic.
    Still have fumes, I assume its coming from the lines somewhere but I only get fumes occasionally, mainly later in the day.. wierd.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 LXi coupe

I was looking on ebay and did not realize how expensive the injectors are and unfortunately my pockets are not deep...lol. I will try and see if I can get good ones from the junk yard, replace the seals and then also trace my lines from the tank. The charcoal canister is not a bad idea to look at, I was reading that in the manual.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

I was smelling gas fumes ALL the time, strongly. Then I found that when the fuel pump was replaced they failed to reinstall the cover. I put it back on but still smelled it. Connected the fuel vapor return that went to the cannister (Weber installed) to the air filter as described somewhere on here. No difference. Decided to goop the fuel pump cover w/ silicone & to my surprise it vastly improved, maybe 80% better. Now I don't notice it nearly as badly, mostly when the windows are down, so it still must be venting fumes somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's in the back but those lines are hard to access.

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Why do you need the resistor if the injectors are from the 4th gen,won't they work with the stock one?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    It does sound like the injectors. They pretty much all eventually leak at the joint between the plastic and metal parts. If you have the money I recommend replacing all of them once you have the fuel rail disassembled. I ended up having to take mine apart two or three times over the course of two years because I replaced only the ones that were leaking. I guess it just depends upon your money/inconvenience ratio.
    What he said. I've been running two new injectors and two junkyard injectors for a few years now. All are working great.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW