Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: weber question

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: weber question

Quote Originally Posted by CzEcHy View Post
    Ya, powerful streams straight down into the manifold.

Tried keeping revs at 1700ish RPM while holding the brake ( in drive), and it bogged when I smashed the gas pedal still. So it had air and fuel and still bogged. Any more ideas? Lol
    um yeah lol

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

What?

I'm just saying, while giving it gas with the brake that eliminates a chance of it bogging because the sudden gas and air. And it was when I was at a redlight not my driveway.

I read if the mixture is to lean, it will hesitate or have a flat spot. So I'm hoping the new jets fix it, if not I read the main jets may need to be bigger. I turned the mix screws IN.a turn to see if that helps temporarily since mine may of been out to far (idle was decent tho).
    Last edited by CzEcHy; 11-27-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

What?

I'm just saying, while giving it gas with the brake that eliminates a chance of it bogging because the sudden gas and air. And it was when I was at a redlight not my driveway.

I read if the mixture is to lean, it will hesitate or have a flat spot. So I'm hoping the new jets fix it, if not I read the main jets may need to be bigger. I turned the mix screws IN.a turn to see if that helps temporarily since mine may of been out to far (idle was decent tho).

You do really need to tune the idle and main jets before doing anything else. The transition from idle jets to main jets is critical, and if it's not right the off idle throttle response will suck. Considering that your idles are quite a bit too small, I wouldn't be surprised if the mains were too small too. What size are the mains? If they're too small you might as well order new mains and idles now. There are some recommended jet sizes in the Weber sticky (FAQ or HOWTO sections, I forget).

C|

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

The mains are the ones in the float correct? Its raining so I couldn't check them. If I get 55 for the idles what would be good mains?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Barring any other issues with the car I would agree you will do well by getting the idle jets in b4 doing anything else other than recording jet sizes and reading a bit more. There are great threads here and on other forums, I picked up lots of info on Toyota jeep opel and ford six cyl forums. Allcu can do is compare info since each engine responds differently. Cygnus's tuning that was on my carb worked quite well on a stock engine but was tuned for a cam, header, lude tranny. Also his modified intake played a part in that tune, which I'm not using now. You say you're car ran good at first then something happened so what happened ok this is an important piece to this too.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Sounds good guys, I just want this Carb to run perfectly, which it isn't to far from.

Will the idle jet change fix my bogging by chance? If I smash the gas to pull into traffic or w.e, it'll basically stall out then after 2 seconds it'll finally go.. same with in N or P if you rev it fast it bogs horribly.
    I read into this that this could be timing since it is not being described as hesitation and you say you have a good squirt from access pump. In Park and neutral and u get a delay right. Even so the larger idle jet will help that too I think.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

When I change the idle jets, if it still bogs ill take a video lol.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Got the idle jets, put em in, must redo mixture screws settings. Sadly it seems to run near the same as the 45s. Maybe I suck at tuning it lol..

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Got the idle jets, put em in, must redo mixture screws settings. ..
    errrr ya think, you understand why I hope

wish I lived closer i would be glad to give you a hand

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Ya me too lol. Ill mess with it some more today since its a fair temp outside and I have time.

But ya, I tried tuning it yesterday exactly how the instructions said but my idle didn't stop vibrating. I'm sure ill get it, or maybe the temp outside is messing it up.

Also, maybe the bog is the main jets being to small? Since slamming the gas would be the idle jets but also the mains since it needs the extra fuel. Maybe I should up my mains 10 more since I did the idles up 10 and not 5.
    Last edited by CzEcHy; 12-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Ya me too lol. Ill mess with it some more today since its a fair temp outside and I have time.

But ya, I tried tuning it yesterday exactly how the instructions said but my idle didn't stop vibrating. I'm sure ill get it, or maybe the temp outside is messing it up.

Also, maybe the bog is the main jets being to small? Since slamming the gas would be the idle jets but also the mains since it needs the extra fuel. Maybe I should up my mains 10 more since I did the idles up 10 and not 5.

Did you ever figure out what size the mains are?

C|

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

I didn't want to remove the tophat of the Carb so not yet. I predict them being small tho.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I thought you said you adjusted the float before, if you did then anything else you do is simple on these. The top hat gasket usually stays intact and you won't have to replace those.

I seriously doubt the problem you describe has anything to do with main jet size, not at this point anyway.
    You should have noticed a major improvement in throttle response and if you didnt Im suspecting somethiing is wrong with the install or you have some trash in the carb somewhere.
    Hopefully when you were slinging RTV everywhere none of it managed to get anywhere near the internals of the carb. RTV does not hold up around gasoline anyway. Only used very super thin sparingly would it be effective only on the base gaskets sealing, if you filled too much with it the worse it would seal longterm.

You may be able to move forward with this as it is but if I were doing it I would start it all over, thats just how my mind works lol.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

I believe its running better, it has a bog but its managable if I give it a firm slowish stomp but not all the way. Driving seems smoother, gas test will be starting later to see if my mileage is above 28mpg like before.

If it helps, if I flick the throttle from idle to 2k RPM, it dips below idle when I let off, then raises back to idle. Is this helpful?

I feel my intake gasket may be a problem, so in january I'm getting a bisimoto gasket to keep heat away since those and oem are close in price.

Then I'm going to try some other things like a new exhaust, I feel my cat is prob sealed and melted over time.

Then an a/f ratio gauge, wideband, to tune the carb better.

When I do the gasket ill prob order new base gaskets for the carb and redo that. But my rtv was gas proof rtv, it was expenciveeee.

I made two videos of my idle and the bogging and the carb but YouTube wont accept mp4 so ill have to redo them with my camera and not my phone.
    Last edited by CzEcHy; 12-03-2011 at 05:32 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX 4AT

Did you ever determine if the larger idle jets improved it?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Im waiting on the video, something is not right if it is dipping back down below idle then recovers up to idle when after you tap the gas to a quick 2k.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Ill redo video today with a real camera.

Wish my phone would of uploaded those videos I already took.

And tl, yes I believe the idle jets did help some parts of the Carb like the idle.
    Last edited by CzEcHy; 12-12-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Trying to upload the video now. Will update when done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CzEcHyorly/videos

The two newest videos are the ones with the bogging and idle dip. Each is like 2 minutes long.
    Last edited by CzEcHy; 12-16-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Definate sounds like it's set up to run best it can with a vacuum leak it sounds jacked uP I wish I had a vid of one running right it much different sorry I'm posting w ipod

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Ill search for a leak better.

Also, my main jets are 142 and air correction jets are 185.

Should I work on the mains also?

Edit - how do you properly adjust the float, the tab that connects the plastic float and touches the brass jet looking thing? No one ever has a good explination lol. Wish it was as easy as the OEM Carb float, a screw.
    Last edited by CzEcHy; 12-16-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I wouldn't mees with the main jetting for now, I seriously do not believe that is where your problem lies.

Float adjustment on these is done by very carefully bending the metal tab right where it has a bend in it where the needle contacts it.
    You have to look very carefully at the needle to see exactly when the piece contacts it then where it actually moves the needle up to close flow.
    Never push against the needle into the seat with any thing other than the weight of the needle or float itself or the seat and needle will be damaged.

If you get some carb cleaner spray with a tube you can spray a little around the carb base, the intake mnfld base and see if the idle speed picks up there is your vacuum leak. The spray has to be flammable so what youre doing is actuall richening the mixture thru the vac leak.

Make sure when you do that that you are not geting spray into the carb throat since that would be the defeating the purpose of isolating the enrichment thru vac source (place where there should not be vac, thus a leak)

EDIT
    upon listeing to the video on a real computer, the idle actualy sounds pretty good. I am leaning towards the throttle linkage now as to the dip in rpm you have when you give it gas and let off quickley. I really don't like the way your linkage is on there but you already know that lol
    The vibrations seem like the exhaust is touching the body somewhere or motor mount out of whack since the whole car is vibrating like that.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 12-19-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

I readjusted the float via the tab that touches the SIDE of the brass. Not the tab that touches the ball on the bottom of the brass thing. Correct? Regardless the first time I made it flood, lol at all the black soot from the exhaust. Then I readjusted like the pictures I see online and it SORTA cured the bog. Its still got hesitation or something but nowhere near as bad. I'm wondering if my float was to low?

Also, go make me a linkage like yours. Ill pay you. I hate mine too but it works decent, seriously tho make me a linkage lol. Please

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

probably won't matter where you bend it as long as it isn't touching the inside of the bowl which is another common error with these, don't mess with the geometry of the float pitch it will hang up on the wall or hang crooked ..

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Ok so I removed the PCV valve plugged the intake hole and left the hole the PCV valve goes into and the car seemed to run better and it raised the idle some. But my PCv valve is clean and the inside moves with vaccum and the hose is clean. Figured id mention that since it seems weird, and I don't want to drive around without my pcv. It still didn't fix my bog but it seemed to help that dip in my idle a little bit.

With the pcv valve removed, a lot of air pushes out of the hole that the valve was in. Same with the tube from the top of the valve cover. Excess blowby perhaps? Is this bad?

So I'm going to try and fix that somehow and get another distributer and get a fpr and then if that doesn't fix it I'm driving up there and getting you to help fix it. Serious.

I still need you to make me a throttle linkage to
    Last edited by CzEcHy; 12-21-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Guy read my last post.

ALSO, it bogs when giving gas by holding onto the stock linkage also. So that eliminates the linkage being my problem. I'm going for a vaccum leak or it leaning out, guess ill find out next month when I can get a wideband and a new intake gasket. Going to spray starter fluid everywhere to try and find a leak. Damn rain lately.