Thread: Headlight Sealed Beam H4 conversion

Vehicle
    79 Accord sedan SJ5

Headlight Sealed Beam H4 conversion

Hello guys!
    I was looking to increase the lighting power o my 1gee and I wanna know what size is the hi and low beam to buy all 4 of them and put H4 lamps on
    I measured the low beam and I get 140mm, is that correct?
    Thanks

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: Headlight Sealed Beam H4 conversion

It really depends on how you measure it I guess. The US headlights are the H5001 size, which is 5 3/4 inches. If you convert that to millimeters, it's 146mm. So my guess is that a 140mm H4 housing would probably be the right one. Though the only way you'll get more lighting power is to put higher wattage H4 bulbs, which is going to require some rewiring. Whatever you do, DO NOT put in higher wattage bulbs on the stock wiring. Your car probably will catch fire.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

I don't think it will catch fire, but I'm sure it will blow the fuses, they are wired just like the three g with a fuse for each element, it will also burn out the switch, if you don't know how to wire the relays, there are harnesses made that power the lights directly from the battery, the switch just controls the relays

Vehicle

No it will definitely catch fire. You know how many times my car has burned to the ground because of this?

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

having old wiring doesn't help either.

Vehicle

well the switches are impossible to get, so another reason to get the relay harness

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Having the relays alone would help with your stock sealed beam output, no joke!

But my original harness is melted around the connectors under the dash so yeah relays are necessary! Those old wires and connectors isn't helping.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Yeah I run 80/100 watt h4 bulbs in mine and haven't had any problem yet,how do you wire relays to both headlight.Is they're a wiring diagram on here?

Watch your light output. In most cases all an 80/100W bulb is going to get you is significantly shorter life than a 55/60W bulb. The additional light output is not proportional to the added power consumption. Plus, at least with the 2G's and 3G's, you do not have to modify anything electrical to use 55/60W bulbs. Get the best housings you can afford and you will see a noticeable improvement over any sealed beam.

My favorite site for bulbs also mentions that the higher wattage bulbs have about HALF the lifespan of the "regular" wattage bulbs. In actual road use that equates to about a 4-5 year life span for a 55/60 and less than two years for an 80/100. This has been my personal experience as well.

http://www.rallylights.com
    Last edited by DBMaster; 12-14-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Vehicle

both the 2 g and the three g harnesses and switch are running at overload factory, it seems to be a common Honda issue, This is the reason so many people have issues with the combination switch. The switches are getting to be impossible to find, most are discontinued, Adding a relay harness makes a big difference in voltage to the lights and cuts the current in the switch to almost nothing, this at the minimum may prolong the life of your switch

^^Interesting. I ran the calculations before trying the 80/100W bulbs. The factory setup already includes two 20 amp headlight relays (one for each headlight). So, the combo switch already runs low current. I had no issues with the relays, but I ended up smelling overheated wiring and my clock kept resetting itself to 12:00. The issue went away when I went back to the 55/60W bulbs. Better than getting higher wattage bulbs, either try the Philips X-Treme bulbs or do a little search and try HIR (not HID) bulbs. I have been satisfied with the run of the mill Hella bulbs. They're cheap and plenty bright for around here.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    ^^Interesting. I ran the calculations before trying the 80/100W bulbs. The factory setup already includes two 20 amp headlight relays (one for each headlight). So, the combo switch already runs low current. I had no issues with the relays, but I ended up smelling overheated wiring and my clock kept resetting itself to 12:00. The issue went away when I went back to the 55/60W bulbs. Better than getting higher wattage bulbs, either try the Philips X-Treme bulbs or do a little search and try HIR (not HID) bulbs. I have been satisfied with the run of the mill Hella bulbs. They're cheap and plenty bright for around here.
    odd the three g harness says it has a high beam relay but no low beam relay, the low beam side of the switch is what fries. current comes into the switch, is split by the low or high beam switch after the light switch, then it goes to two fuses for the low beams or two fuses for the high beams. I'll look at the diagram again

Vehicle

just looked at the diagram the three g has no relay for either the high or low beam, directly switched through four fuses, I don't seem to remember the earlier ones having one either

You may want to check again. If I am not mistaken - which I could be - there are two 20amp relays in the underhood fuse box for the headlight circuits. There is no way that even normal headlight current could go through the wimpy steering column combo switch.

Vehicle
    79 Accord sedan SJ5

Hi guys!

I searched more and I say that the 5-3/4" is the real size of the lamps, the H5001 size, but I'm not finding those conversion kits anywhere.... And the ones that i find doesn't ships to Brazil...I found one made by DEPO, but tjey have angel eyes, i liked , but i wanted to keep the original look of my 1 gee

Be careful with high wattage lamps, at least in my country, it's forbidden to use them and xenon in public ways

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    You may want to check again. If I am not mistaken - which I could be - there are two 20amp relays in the underhood fuse box for the headlight circuits. There is no way that even normal headlight current could go through the wimpy steering column combo switch.
    no relays, the headlight switch is actually pretty heavy, but not heavy enough over time the contacts degrade

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen!!! View Post
    Hi guys!

I searched more and I say that the 5-3/4" is the real size of the lamps, the H5001 size, but I'm not finding those conversion kits anywhere.... And the ones that i find doesn't ships to Brazil...I found one made by DEPO, but tjey have angel eyes, i liked , but i wanted to keep the original look of my 1 gee

Be careful with high wattage lamps, at least in my country, it's forbidden to use them and xenon in public ways
    summit racing, you have regular sealed beams right? those should be standard lamps for four lamp systems, hella should make the conversions

Vehicle

I don't know if you can find them, but in a bunch of countries, the 1g came with H4 headlamps from the factory.