Thread: new sunvisors

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

new sunvisors

since I put in the overhead console, my sunvisors no longer fit, they were getting ratty anyway after 25 plus years. I got inspired by this,

I'm been trying to figure out the mechanism in my head this week and finally made the brackets, I'm using the factory mirror mount cut in half as far as length, I made a split tube on the end, it will be tightened by a band fuel injection clamp, this gives enough tension to flip the visors up and down. I haven't made the swivel that locks into the other end yet, it's some oddball metric size, so I need to make one from scratch. it will rotate on the pin I machined into the cross bar. the back of the bar is flat, this is where the green plexi will screw on.

first pattern, after lots of scribbles etc, I made the second pattern from it, it will be transferred to green plexi tomorrow

second pattern

I did good this time, I usually end up with 15 or 20 patterns before I'm happy

new sunvisor shape next to old frame, it clears the overhead console now and matches the angle of the console also

Last edited by lostforawhile; 12-28-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Re: new sunvisors

Thats pretty cool, I would of never thought about that!

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Cool stuff!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord EX - Single Port EFI, 4 doors Aut.

Specially in my truck, the sunvisors take out a lot of visibility when down, this would be the fix to that!

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

finally i can praise you again tim! it's been years!!! this idea is awesome, i look forward to seeing it's completion.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

They are done but I can't post pics right now no computer lots of serrious shit going down,as soon as I can I will post I need darker plexi though I have the patterns and drill jig so its easy to make the visor part the brackets were the hard part

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

those look cool,

I need extensions for mine.
    Ive seen newer cars with those slide out extensions for then the sun blinds you on the side window. Me having to have the seat all the way back these oem are not long enough so I guess I will try to find some that will work..meanwhile I use a file folder to hang on it with at paper clamp.