Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new carpet

DX User
    Vehicle
    81 Accord Hatch, 08 GT Mustang, 59 Cadillac, 87 Corvette, 72 Honda z600, 70 Honda n600

new carpet

I have a 81 hatch, and the carpet really needs replacing..
    I cant find a kit online anywhere, also its the "sea-foam green" interior, well exterior also. Haha..

But has anyone else found a place with carpet kits, or just carpet by the foot in the color I'm looking for?

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: new carpet

Have you had any luck? I know where there is a yard with a green LX hatch that has the carpets that should be in decent shape. They aren't brand new. But I took the back seat and the hatch carpet out of it because I wanted the cargo cover hardware. So anyways, I took the hatch carpet, and cleaned it up, and it came out pretty good! Next time I go back, I'll snag the rest of the carpet for you.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Check. To see if autocarpetoriginals is still in buisness

DX User
    Vehicle
    81 Accord Hatch, 08 GT Mustang, 59 Cadillac, 87 Corvette, 72 Honda z600, 70 Honda n600

No, no luck. The carpets aren't terrible. The car was bought new by my girlfriends great grandparents an stayed in their family until about 6 years ago. Long story short I found it on Craigslist and bought it back. But the lady who had it carried hay in it. I took them out and washed them but I just really wanted nice new clean carpet. But i just haven't been able to find new carpet..

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Have you had any luck? I know where there is a yard with a green LX hatch that has the carpets that should be in decent shape. They aren't brand new. But I took the back seat and the hatch carpet out of it because I wanted the cargo cover hardware. So anyways, I took the hatch carpet, and cleaned it up, and it came out pretty good! Next time I go back, I'll snag the rest of the carpet for you.

DX User
    Vehicle

What color of carpet is it? That would be awesome if its pretty clean!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post

Vehicle

Vehicle

can you use an 82 carpet? i found them back to 82 hatch and sedan HONDA ACCORD Auto Carpet and Floor Mats with Logos

Vehicle

not only do they have carpet back to 82, they have the custom heavy fitted floor mats back that far

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    can you use an 82 carpet? i found them back to 82 hatch and sedan HONDA ACCORD Auto Carpet and Floor Mats with Logos
    Im not sure if an 82 would fit or not. It would be awesome if it would though! Anyone know if it would fit or not?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Julian.Saturno View Post
    Im not sure if an 82 would fit or not. It would be awesome if it would though! Anyone know if it would fit or not?
    i haven't had any luck yet, if you can find an old carpet, it might not be as bad as you think to have one made by an upholstery shop

Vehicle

Vehicle

82 carpets are a definite no.

The one I have is green. What color are you looking for? I might hit up a yard soon and scavenge for decent carpets. They come out looking surprisingly nice if they aren't torn up after I get done cleaning them.

Vehicle

if you see a nice black hatch carpet let me know

Vehicle

Lemme know if you want it. You can have it if you wanna pay shipping. Next time I'm at the yard, I can get the rest of the carpets for you too.

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

Are you willing to get rid of any of those fender mirrors? My mirror is rotten and I would love to have some JDM fender mirrors to replace it.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I have yet to own a car where I could not get the carpet absolutely perfectly clean with a cheap Bissell carpet shampooer. I bought my '82 Accord out of someone's back yard. The crankshaft was in the trunk and the interior was encrusted with engine grime after the previous owner attempted (and failed) at rebuilding the engine. I used Simple Green for bad spots and Bissell carpet shampoo for the rest. Every stain came out and you could not tell the difference between the cleaned carpet and new, except for the wear spots, of course.

If it's just a matter of dirt, borrow or rent a shampooer and see what you can do. Don't bother with anything that says "Rug Doctor" on it though. That stuff is all garbage. My Bissell has paid for itself over and over and over again. I've cleaned unbelievably skanky carpets in apartments and cars and they always come out looking great.

If you're dead broke, you can mix a solution of carpet shampoo in a spray bottle and apply it by hand. Then vacuum it out with a wet/dry vac. It's the same effect. The shampooer just makes it a little easier.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

mine was worn into pieces lol no saving it, then it got wet, so it had to come out, if you want to get rid of the funky smell, buy a bag of charcoal, cut it open, and leave it in the car for a few days with the windows up, it will absorb every bit of stink in the car. Use the dry kind, not the self lighting kind, then when you are done, put it in the grill and celebrate the smell being gone

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by PDXAccord79 View Post
    Are you willing to get rid of any of those fender mirrors? My mirror is rotten and I would love to have some JDM fender mirrors to replace it.
    I don't have any pairs unfortunately. I just sold one two that are marked SN, and EN1. I have one more marked SZ, that I freakin' broke the plastic housing on. And there are two left. I think one is marked AB, and the other looks just like the SZ one, but has no markings on it. I'll have to get back to you on them, because I might have someone already taking them as of just today. Either way though, there are no pairs. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I have yet to own a car where I could not get the carpet absolutely perfectly clean with a cheap Bissell carpet shampooer. I bought my '82 Accord out of someone's back yard. The crankshaft was in the trunk and the interior was encrusted with engine grime after the previous owner attempted (and failed) at rebuilding the engine. I used Simple Green for bad spots and Bissell carpet shampoo for the rest. Every stain came out and you could not tell the difference between the cleaned carpet and new, except for the wear spots, of course.

If it's just a matter of dirt, borrow or rent a shampooer and see what you can do. Don't bother with anything that says "Rug Doctor" on it though. That stuff is all garbage. My Bissell has paid for itself over and over and over again. I've cleaned unbelievably skanky carpets in apartments and cars and they always come out looking great.

If you're dead broke, you can mix a solution of carpet shampoo in a spray bottle and apply it by hand. Then vacuum it out with a wet/dry vac. It's the same effect. The shampooer just makes it a little easier.
    I agree. I've been able to clean some amazingly scummy carpets! Good advice on the Bissel though. I should totally pick one up. I usually wind up taking my carpets to the DIY car wash and using the pressure washer. Hit it with the hot, soapy water, then spray some engine or wheel cleaner on it to break down the grease and stains, then more soapy blast of water, watch the mud come streaming out of it, then vacuum it clean! That's actually how the one looked in the pic above!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I just did the carpets in a house that's being put on the market. The store where I usually get my Bissell shampoo decided to stop carrying it, so I got the Rug Doctor stuff because I was in a hurry. I did one room with their pre-treatment and shampoo. Everything lightened slightly, but you could still see every stain clearly. I went over the stains several times and nothing further happened. In disgust, I took time out of the job to drive over to the next town and buy the Bissell shampoo. I pre-treated again with straight, undiluted Simple Green and finished off with the Bissell shampoo. The stains totally disappeared and the carpet looked new when I was done.

That's the longer story behind my recommendation to avoid Rug Doctor's stuff. I don't understand how companies stay in business for so long when their product is verifiably useless. I guess it's a ploy to discourage people from doing it themselves.

The nice thing about the shampooer is that you can use the upholstery attachment and clean the carpets without removing them from the car. I usually remove the seats though. Lots of goopy stuff can fall around and under the seats. It's disgusting.

For smells, like cigarette smoke, a lot of car lots use ozone generators. They rent a big industrial unit and leave it in the car overnight. That is supposed to get rid of every smell in the car. I have an ozone generator and can verify that it will pull every smell out of anything. I have not found, however, that this can be done in a single night. Ozone is unhealthy to breathe, so you don't want to be in the car when there is ozone in there. To remove deeply set smells you have to saturate the interior materials with ozone or they will continue stinking (though less intensely). That takes a lot of ozone and the ozone will continue to gas off for days after the treatment. Close up the car and it will fill up with ozone gassing off from the upholstery. Depending on how intense the ozone treatment was, this can continue for over a week. Again, you DON'T want to breathe the ozone so you'll have to keep airing the car out until the ozone is all gone.

That's probably a lot more detail than anyone wanted.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

there is stuff called Odo ban, it will clean and take the stains out of anything, just dont get it in your eyes, home depot carries it

DX User
    Vehicle

I sat a ozone filter in their for days. Took the carpets out and washed them at a DIY place replace the carpet pad with new and it still stinks. Although much better than before. I think why it's so hard to get the smell out is bc the last owner carried Alfalfa in it and all the small particles just got in the carpet and are there to stay. I also think the seats are part to blame.

Alfalfa is such a strong smell it probably won't be gone until I get new seats and carpet..

Their was so much debri from the last owner I took everything out and ended up just hosing the inside floors out. The amount of mud and alfalfa under the car when I was done was crazy. It's no wonder it smelt so bad.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'll confess that my experience with ozonators is similiar to yours. It doesn't take completely the first time. If you keep doing treatments, you'll eventually get all the smell out. About the only smell I wasn't able to get out was the "old plastic" smell in my car. That ended up being the headliner disintegrating and shedding plastic in the air. Once I replaced that, the smell was gone.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

I have new orignal carpets in various colors but none green, only tan, black and blue...
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 1GCustomAccord View Post
    I have new orignal carpets in various colors but none green, only tan, black and blue...
    You have all the cool new parts! So jealous!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

I would just get the black since it's available, it goes with everything