Thread: Successful Junkyard Run!

Vehicle
    1981 Accord

Successful Junkyard Run!

Thank you to Pasco Auto Wrecking! all cost $170. Got the steering column, instrument cluster, stock FM radio and speakers, plus an extra wheel with tire, and driver side mirror to replace the current one which is taped together . I might be willing to sell the rest of the cluster after I cannibalize the tach. So lucky i found this so close to home!

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

By hawk47 at 2012-02-03

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: Successful Junkyard Run!

Nice find.

Whats with the white box behind the cluster with the wires coming out of it?

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Nice Score! I've got some suitable local donors in my area and I managed to get an original radio as well, unfortunately someone decide it was ok to keep putting their lit cigarettes against the "pre-selected station" buttons, and half of them have slight burns on them.... It'll still be cool to have a stereo that doesn't stick halway out the dash!

Vehicle
    '80 Honda Prelude XR

Jealous! Nice find man!
    My Project Site - WWW.G1PRELUDES.COM
    Current Ride - 1980 Honda Prelude XR
    SN Fanatic

DX User

Hi there - I'm reading this from Philadelphia and I am in desperate need of an alternator wiring harness and both the 6 pin blocks - I saw your post and called Pasco Wreckers where the guy did inform me that he hasd one - but as soon as he found out I was in Philadelphia - he refused to "send some wires all the way across country" - REALLY? What an asshole!! - Anyway - I am desperate and the car is just sitting there without it - 1980 Accord - The search for this parts(s) is exactly why I joined this forum and lo and behold right off the bat I find a source and the guy is a total tool. WTF? - Does anyone know where I can get one - totally discontinued by Honda - NO ONE HAS ONE as far as parts houses etc... HELP.

Vehicle

Which blocks specifically are you looking for? I'm assuming you mean (at least one of them) is the one that actually plugs onto the alternator itself... I should know this but unless I'm looking at it I'm kinda clueless.

I can probably find the parts you need at my local Pick and pull. I really can't imagine shipping would be that much, especially with all the flat rate shipping deals you can get nowadays...hell I could probably just send them in a "heavy letter" and throw a little extra postage on it. I'm presently unemployed, hence no income but I'm due for my income tax return any day now so I wouldn't mind grabbing that on my next trip to PNP. As for payment, assuming it's not too much I don't really think i'd charge you. I have a paypal account (I only use it so I can buy stuff on Ebay with my C.C.) but I'm so unfamiliar with the payment transfer stuff it'd probably be more trouble for me than it's worth...giving away "a few bucks" to help out a fellow old-school Honda lover is nothin, I'd just be happy to know there's another 1st Gen out on the road! Let me know If you can, exactly what harnesses you're looking for...

Vehicle
    1981 Accord

Sorry to hear the junkyard guy was a dick to you! I might go back out there again when I get some more cash. Maybe we can work something out.

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

cool, an original parts are hard to find nowadays. but I just wanted to poke at this picture. My friend had an old Mazda 929 fron 1979 rwd, the point being that. I love how in the old days they actualy printed wiring diograms, and in that Mazda thingie, in owners manual there was specks and detailed " how to's" set timing, or adgust valve clearences. This goes to show how the consumer culture ruined cars of today. Before they made a car, and wanted it to be serviced and maintained by the owner..
    Last edited by Tomisimo; 02-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    1981 Accord

Not many of these left in Norway I presume, Tomismo? Hondas can handle a lot just not salt The one at the junkyard was from illinois, tabs said '97. SOOO much undercarriage rust!

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Nice score on the Radio & optional/LX rear speakers, & remote mirror. The rear speaker covers don't like UV light so are usually a mess here if found.
    Note regarding Alternator wiring harness; '81 had a revised wiring harness with lots of different connectors to replace old designs, though it may not have affected that harness..

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Quote Originally Posted by 1981.EK1 View Post
    Not many of these left in Norway I presume, Tomismo? Hondas can handle a lot just not salt The one at the junkyard was from illinois, tabs said '97. SOOO much undercarriage rust!
    No there are almost none left. But I see one now and than that shows up for sale, usually they are mint and expensive. Rust and Japanese cars dont like each other for sure

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Nice find man! I love the wrecking yard finds, when you get all the parts you need! It's like finding gold! I found the older, flush mount radio. It is the radio that powers the single speaker up in the dashboard! I had that original radio, but I didn't really care for how it stuck out... I'd like to find a shop around here that has some guys who know how to fix up old school radios and such. It tends to lose the station as I drive and I have to keep retuning it... Also the AM doesn't work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hh1ctT6rE

Vehicle
    1981 Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Nice find man! I love the wrecking yard finds, when you get all the parts you need! It's like finding gold! I found the older, flush mount radio. It is the radio that powers the single speaker up in the dashboard! I had that original radio, but I didn't really care for how it stuck out... I'd like to find a shop around here that has some guys who know how to fix up old school radios and such. It tends to lose the station as I drive and I have to keep retuning it... Also the AM doesn't work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hh1ctT6rE
    Thanks man! Yea the FM radio loses reception frequently. Plus the radio/fan only work when they want to, both with the original and replacement radio. The radio will work in accessory but will die when the engine cranks sometimes. I am going to clean the fuse contacts and see if that helps, but I have a feeling there are some wiring issues. Honestly I just want to put in an after market stereo with mp3 capability, but I assume a bit of rewiring is necessary and I am not that familiar with car audio Any help from you gentlemen on audio setups will be much appreciated!
    Last edited by 1981.EK1; 02-12-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: addition

Vehicle

Most audio setups are pretty basic. All you need is constant power, switched power (when you turn the key on), ground, and your speaker outputs. The car should have all of these wired up to the stock stereo, and hooking those up to an aftermarket deck should be a breeze.

If you think you might be having fuse problems, go to the store and buy a GRIP of fuses and replace ALL of them! I found that after so many years, the fuses deteriorate, and they lose contact inside with the end caps. I had lots of weird electrical issues that pretty much all went away when I replaced the fuses.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Most audio setups are pretty basic. All you need is constant power, switched power (when you turn the key on), ground, and your speaker outputs. The car should have all of these wired up to the stock stereo, and hooking those up to an aftermarket deck should be a breeze.

If you think you might be having fuse problems, go to the store and buy a GRIP of fuses and replace ALL of them! I found that after so many years, the fuses deteriorate, and they lose contact inside with the end caps. I had lots of weird electrical issues that pretty much all went away when I replaced the fuses.
    so ten amp rated wires and fuse for the stock am radio could handle a modern stereo?

Vehicle

Hmm that's a good question. I don't think most decks really put out the power that they advertise. 10 amps is enough power for 120 watts. I think that most car stereos don't go anywhere near that. I guess you'll have to look at the power requirements for the deck, but that should be just fine. I mean, what kind of deck are we talking about here?