Thread: Grove on the 2nd ring

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

Grove on the 2nd ring

Hello,

So I'm going to be doing a final check then sealing up the bottom of my engine on Monday but still have one question I'd like to get answered. When I bought the new ring kit the second ring has a weird groove on the outside edge that looks like a smaller ring attached to the big ring. My old rings didn't have this groove and the manual doesn't mention them so I'm really confused as to which way they face. I put them in with the grove facing down towards the bottom of the engine. Is this correct? I'd hate to have this thing fail because I didn't check on this.

Thanks again for all the help!

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: Grove on the 2nd ring

The manual says that all manufacturer marks should face upward. So I would go off that. But the illustration looks like the second ring should be tapered with the wider part of the ring on the bottom. So if there is a groove, it's probably just a different design, and I'd say the wider part of the ring should still go downward.

This page is from the manual of an 81, but I don't imagine it would be any different.

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

Re: Grove on the 2nd ring

Thanks, the official manual for the 79 is not this detailed. Looks like I'll pull them and flip the rings over.

As for the "manufacturing marks" my aftermarket rings didn't have those. There was a light scratch on the rings but if I followed that the second ring should taper down. Probably just more aftermarket inconsistency.