Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Charlie's Official Update Thread

3Geez Veteran

Re: Charlie's Official Update Thread

Picked up a one-owner 1992 Geo Metro XFi (52mpg+) with 110k for $1,500! Now I can drive this to save gas (and save the Benz mechanically) until I can afford and find a parts car for the 600.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i/90 Integra/92 LX

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Picked up a one-owner 1992 Geo Metro XFi (52mpg+) with 110k for $1,500!
    Is that the one that's just like the swift?

Darwin's rollin over in his coffin, the fittest are surviving much less often

3Geez Veteran

The Geo Metro, Suzuki Swift, Pontiac Firefly, Holden Barina, Chevrolet Sprint, Subaru Justy and Isuzu Geminette are all a rebadged Suzuki Cultus. So, yes. The Metro is the only one that received the super economy model (XFi) that had several unique parts to give it better fuel economy.

Post pics bro

3Geez Veteran

First two are from the Craigslist posting, the last one is from today, before I washed it... Yes, the front corner lenses do not match. One is pre- and one is post-facelift. I want to get a new one for the driver side so they are both solid amber.No power steering. No power brakes. No power windows. No power locks. No intermittent wiper settings. In 1992 it had 49hp. I can only imagine what it has now!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i/90 Integra/92 LX

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    The Geo Metro, Suzuki Swift, Pontiac Firefly, Holden Barina, Chevrolet Sprint, Subaru Justy and Isuzu Geminette are all a rebadged Suzuki Cultus. So, yes. The Metro is the only one that received the super economy model (XFi) that had several unique parts to give it better fuel economy.
    They made a high performance model of the swift. I remember a guy in high school had one brand new and thought it was the poo and I guess it was kinda cool, but back then we were all into muscle cars. Just had to look it up the Swift GTi is what I was thinking about.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i/90 Integra/92 LX

BTW, it looks really good bro. I haven't seen a metro that straight in years, probably the aforementioned one (swift).

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

dude i fucking hate you so jelly lol....i drive 150 miles a day to go to work (At walmart lol) . im saving my paychecks up to buy my 3rd geo metro. i had a 94 with a 3cyl 5 spd 2dr. and a 97 4cyl auto 4 door with ac....they have a lot more pep then you think they would... check out Geo Metro Forum - got mpg? and Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com also TeamSwift • Index page .

when it comes time to needing a set of tires do the vented disk brake upgrade and larger wheel studs (10mm vs 8mm iirc) and then you can run the 13" wheels . also any 4x114 rim will fit it but dont change from the 12s unless you do the larger wheel studs or bad things happen lol...finding 12" tires is a huge pain in the ass now a days ...

theses things will last forever (tons with over 300k miles). just make sure the timing is not to far advanced or you will burn a valve (most common issue on theses cars) and if she ever needs a rebuild the little 3 banger can be lifted out by hand... no hoist ever needed! FTW.... congrats man though ...im still jelly :P

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i/90 Integra/92 LX

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda
    finding 12" tires is a huge pain in the ass now a days
    Tire distributors, such as the one I work for, still stock 12" tires. I think we usually keep 2-3 sets in stock and they're Chinese tires, but they can still be found.
    A quick search of tire rack shows they still stock a set too.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

3Geez Veteran

If that is true about the 12" tires I am pretty lucky as the car has brand new matching rubber all around! I cleaned the front lenses out because they were full of mold and muck. I know this car sat for 3-5 years but I think it was garaged most of the time. I need to detail the engine bay and interior as the engine is covered in old oil from a previous leak and the interior had mold and mildew. I need to get the oil changed since it sat for so long and I believe the oil is old. Fresh gas and a few drives did the beast some good. I haven't had any issues with it, yet. When it runs for a long time it will do the surging idle (dirty IACV?) a few times but it will calm on its own every time. The front-passenger brake also squeals under hard use. Does anyone know if these things have disc all around? Drums in the rear? Just drums? lol, I love the damned thing, though. I missed having a simple car. This thing is barbaric compared to a 3G LX-i!

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

yeah you can find a 12s a couple places but its gotten harder and not many options (and personally china tires scare the living crap out of me. and caused me to wreck my 95 accord) .
    glad to hear yours has a new set though! yeah my 3gee smelled like mold when i got it as well...lots of freebrez and carpet cleaner and it still has a tad bit of mold and mildew smell lol

never had a surging idle on my geos but i would say its a vac leak or something.

front brakes are disks . yours are non vented . rear brakes are drums. going to vented is a hugeeeeee upgrade in brake power on theses cars but wait until you need new tires as the 12s wont clear lol

vented left non vented on the right

and they really are fun cars arent they? i miss the fuck out of mine lol...and sooooooo simple to work on. engine bay has nothing to it!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i/90 Integra/92 LX

A lot of tires are made in China now. They have gotten a lot stricter on what is allowed on the road these days, since 2008. Always check the DOT on them before buying them, especially the Chinese tires. All tire places will want to move their old stock first, but it is against the law to sell tires more than 5 years old. And since not many people are in the market for 12" tires I'd be extremely careful. 13s, 14s, and 15s aren't as bad since they are still being mass produced by most manufacturers, the only downside is the limited height and width that is produced. I'm sure it won't be too much longer until we see all sizes below 16" become as scarce as the 12", but as long as these sizes are on the road someone will make them, even if it is the Chinese. I'm a Cooper/Mastercraft guy myself. Since I don't have a car that is built for speed, I can buy their TR tires with 80,000 mile tread warranty. Plus they are made in the USA, and lets face it, our economy can use all the help it can get. Congrats, on having new rubber all the way around!

Looks clean Charles, congrats

Last edited by HON-DUH; 04-11-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

When I had my Bimmer, I often thought how remarkably similar it was to having a really bad girlfriend. The drama never ended, but for some reason, you couldn't walk away from the relationship. LOL

Buying a second, reliable car is a good choice. That's why I got my 3g. The stupid Bimmer kept giving me fits, so I bought a loyal car instead. I still have the 3g, but the Bimmer has probably long since gone to the crusher by now. The bitch.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

3Geez Veteran

Perks to working at a dealership: Free alignment, free oil change, free detail, free parts. Got the little devil running in top shape. By the way (if I haven't said this already), I love the fact that the Metro is so small that I can park it sideways behind the Benz.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

if ya havent got the idle fixed this may do the trick IAC Repair

and post more pics already! lol u posted a ton of pics of benz but not enough of the awesome metro!!!!

3Geez Veteran

CAH, do you know what would cause the left turn signal to not work? It works intermittently but most of the time it flashes so fast that the "tick" sounds more like hissing and the bulbs will not flash. Left side also does not work with the hazard lights. Bulbs are fine. Sometimes this happens to the right side, but rarely. (Opposite of how the left side works rarely.) Also, with the door panel removed, is there a way to further take apart the door to access the manual window regulator? The top of the "X" that connects to the rail ("track") along the bottom of the window popped off and I cannot get enough access or leverage to pop it back in. Any help is great. Pictures soon, after I wash it again now that the window is rolled up.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

could be the flasher in the fuse box? just a guess though my friend has a issue on his 93 swift where the left turn single is always on very dimly and when he turns the turn single on it just goes bright soild. he hasn't had a chance to bring it by to figure out whats up with it yet lol.

and unfortunately as far as i remember there is not much more room to get in to the doors on them. i know i remember seeing some members dremeld out a bit of the inner door skin to get more access . working on window regulators on any car sucks though lol

3Geez Veteran

I must say, passing anyone in traffic in a ~49hp Metro XFi is just awkward.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

How many Metros would you need to give you what that 600 put out?
    Dr_Snooz

3Geez Veteran

1992 600SEL had 402hp. Eight times 49hp is 392hp. (Imagine an 8.0L 24-cylinder engine.)

3Geez Veteran

Inching my way closer to never owning a car again in my life.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Uh oh. What blew up now?
    Dr_Snooz

3Geez Veteran

I was having brake issues. The car sat for four years before I bought it and I knew it needed brake work but I did not know the extent. Now after paying $475 to have both front disc brakes rebuilt and both rear drums cleaned this 1,600lb beast stops shorter than a dime! The new rotors look so pretty... Also, I fixed the head lamp and left turn signals just by pulling the wiring harness behind the fuse box under the dash. Why can't everything be so simple to fix?

Nice man!