Thread: polyurethane sway bar bushings

Vehicle
    89 lxi

polyurethane sway bar bushings

ok. so i decided to add poly bushings to my list of mods. so i bought a universal pack from an auto strore, but... they didnt realy fit the way i wanted. they have a step on them that is on the sway bar side that didnt fit the sway bar pocket.

here's with the step

so i removed them

then i realized the hole on the sway bar for the bolt to go through was too big which would allow for movement. the holes in the bushings were .250.. or so. so i made a spacer to fit the hole which i made the same thickness as the sway bar so the bushing sit flush in the hole

bushing in sway bar w/ bolt

now... as it turns out witht these modifications to the bushings they turn out to be around the same lentgh as the stock ones. so the sway bar wont be twisted in a direction that is not normal function.

old and new

and finaly... i got some shoulder bolts that were perfect for the job. it has a shoulder that is perfectly long enough to support the bushings with out any bushing having to rest against thread, which i figure would damage the bushing sooner than desired. i also have nylock nuts to go with them so they dont fall off.

new bolt

next i started on the poly mounts. all i did to these is cut the ends off the bracket because they were too long and used a dremmel to make the slots closer together. then used socket head screws and modified washers to be able to get them closer to the bracket. i only have one pic that doesnt show the bracket very well but another member has done this before and posted pics of it.

modified bracket and washers

end links installed

mounts installed

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Re: polyurethane sway bar bushings

Nice but you could of gotten the Prothane end links for a direct swap although they don't come with the bushings.

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Re: polyurethane sway bar bushings

Blast from the past. There was a Car & Driver article a number of years ago that explained in a long winded way that the terms "sway bar" and "anti-sway bar" were misnomers. The article explained that these items would more correctly be called "anti-roll bars." I prefer stabilizer bar, but whaddya gonna do?