Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remove speedometer cable on TRANSMISSION end

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Re: Remove speedometer cable on TRANSMISSION end

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I don't think you have removed the right bolt. The speed sensor bolt is on top and there is only one.
    I was thinking the same, but doubted my mental state when reading it.... that, and that I have not seen the manual trans speed sensor.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    85 Accord LX (carbed)

Would it be in different places on the auto manual tranny?

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord LX-i 5sp sedan 87 Honda Accord LX-i 5sp hatch

Here's a pic of the bolt you need to take out

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

did you dig that gearbox up from under the ground lol

LX User
    Vehicle

Lol no that's the one I just broke. I used to go mudding on my car back before I cared about the car. Managed to get it all pretty dirty.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

must've went through a fair bit of mud to get it that dirty!

LX User
    Vehicle

You have no idea.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by vilashraj00 View Post
    This is very nice car. I like this car.
    Yeah, I think there's plenty of love for these cars around here.

Alright, so I got my transmission out by myself, carefully and slowly. I did find that bolt on top but couldn't get a long enough extension all the way down there so I just took out the cable clip (lift the rubber shroud, pull off the clip, super easy), removed the power steering lines, and took the transmission down. (BTW, if you need an extra clip let me know since I have like 3 now :P)

I tried to take out the speed sensor after that but no luck...it seems stuck in there really well, so I'm going to use the one that came with the transmission I bought.

I have one last question, and this is important - is there a difference between an 86 and an 89 transmission? Because it seems like some of the stuff doesn't want to match up with this (apparently) 1986 transmission I bought. (The guy gave me the wrong one to begin with, I brought it back and they pulled this one for me. Yes, I told them about 10 times 1989 Accord LX-i....).

Does someone know if they are the same? 86 and 89 transmissions that is.

Thanks for the help guys, you're awesome!!

LX User
    Vehicle

I know the input shafts on some of them are different. But I think you should be able to use it if you change the pilot bearing. There are a bunch of different 5 speeds. my lxi apparently had a transmission swap before I got it cause it had a dx/lx trans in it. I was geting 34-38 mpg. Now that I have an lxi trans back in it I only get 29-33. Here's a list of the different transmissions for our cars.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35970
    Last edited by pickupman6; 03-25-2012 at 02:48 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i

Weird...why would you get better MPG with a lower model transmission? Maybe I just don't understand :P

Ok, well I'm going to go try to make it fit. You mention the pilot bearing...can you help me out here? I have no clue what to look for. Is this near the throwout bearing? Sorry, still learning and honestly never thought I'd be replacing the transmission on my DD in my driveway haha.

Worst case scenario, I got back and tell them to pull the right transmission for me.

LX User
    Vehicle

Carbed cars have higher gearing than fi cars do. The pilot bearing is in the center of the end of the crankshaft or center of the flywheel, idk cause I never messed with it. Some of the transmissions have a bigger end on them and won't fit int the smaller pilot bearing. I'm just assuming you could get one from the parts store. I just looked in the manual but didn't see anything about it. Am I wrong on this fellas?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

all of the transmissions are interchangeable, the one you want is from the second gen prelude, it has the best gearing out of all of them. you might want to leave the speed sensor in that came with the transmission, it will be geared different for the slightly different final drive ratio, the output to the speedometer head will be the same though.

LX User
    Vehicle

I disagree. I know for a fact some of them have a different input shaft. I found one that had a much bigger end on it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by pickupman6 View Post
    Carbed cars have higher gearing than fi cars do. The pilot bearing is in the center of the end of the crankshaft or center of the flywheel, idk cause I never messed with it. Some of the transmissions have a bigger end on them and won't fit int the smaller pilot bearing. I'm just assuming you could get one from the parts store. I just looked in the manual but didn't see anything about it. Am I wrong on this fellas?
    So if you're going for fuel economy, then higher gearing is what you want I assume? Does that basically mean faster car at lower RPMs?

It just started raining here in So Cal Guess I'll be waiting to finish haha.

LX User
    Vehicle

Yes a higher gear will give you better mpgs, but a lower gear will make it quicker, not necessarily faster.

Vehicle

I disagree. I know for a fact some of them have a different input shaft. I found one that had a much bigger end on it.
    all of the A20 manual transmissions have the same input shaft, people have been swapping all years of them and 2nd gen lude ones for years with no issues

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    all of the A20 manual transmissions have the same input shaft, people have been swapping all years of them and 2nd gen lude ones for years with no issues
    Input shaft being the splined thing the throwout bearing slides down right?
    Last edited by Brennan; 03-25-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Input shaft being the splined thing the throwout bearing slides down right?
    right on the transmission end. the engine end is the flywheel with the pressure plate and disc bolted to it. the splines have to slide into the clutch disc splines.this is why you use the alignment tool when you bolt the pressure plate down. the entire A series use the same input shaft splines, same clutch parts, same bell housing etc.

LX User
    Vehicle

Well I guess the one I pulled out of an 89 must have been a one of a kind because it was definitly different. Thank you for clearing that up.

Vehicle

Well I guess the one I pulled out of an 89 must have been a one of a kind because it was definitly different. Thank you for clearing that up.
    I don't know what you got but they are the same,

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i

Awesome...see? I'm getting this stuff.. haha

So my transmission says A2Q6 which means those dumbasses gave me, yet again, the wrong year (1986, not 89). Here's what I'm looking for - best MPG / performance combo that's going to fit straight in. I never considered putting a different model / year than stock but if it's tried and true from so many others I'll bite. As long as you guys are sure, which it sounds like...I just don't want to have any more problems!

With that in mind...from the list posted here (https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35970) what would be the best one to try and find?

I'm going to head BACK to the junkyard tomorrow to get the right one. Probably tell them by code this time, you think?
    Last edited by Brennan; 03-25-2012 at 04:52 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle

Yeah I don't know either. It was for a friends car. He had an 86 and lost 3rd. I went to the jy with him to pull another one, and when we got back we spent an hour trying to get it to go back in his car.finally we compared the two and the shafts were definitly different. The end of the input shaft was almost twice as big as the one that came out of his car. We called it a night. 3 weeks later I asked him if he ever figured anything out about it, and he scrapped the car. Man I woulda bought that thing.

Vehicle

Awesome...see? I'm getting this stuff.. haha

So my transmission says A2Q6 which means those dumbasses gave me, yet again, the wrong year (1986, not 89). Here's what I'm looking for - best MPG / performance combo that's going to fit straight in. I never considered putting a different model / year than stock but if it's tried and true from so many others I'll bite. As long as you guys are sure, which it sounds like...I just don't want to have any more problems!

With that in mind...from the list posted here (https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35970) what would be the best one to try and find?

I'm going to head BACK to the junkyard tomorrow to get the right one. Probably tell them by code this time, you think?
    if you can find one get the 2nd gen lude one, it will have the same a20 engine in it, you will recognize it, you might lose a little bit of fuel economy but everyone on here who has gotten one loves it. I would like to find one myself and have it overhauled

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    if you can find one get the 2nd gen lude one, it will have the same a20 engine in it, you will recognize it, you might lose a little bit of fuel economy but everyone on here who has gotten one loves it. I would like to find one myself and have it overhauled
    Yeah, if a lot of people are seeking them out, might be hard to find.

So the one I'm looking for would be the A2K5, not the D2J5 or the D2J3 right? My junkyard pulls them for you so I won't be able to see the engine. I want to be able to tell them EXACTLY what to look for because I know they'll fuck it up again if I don't.

My next choice, if the Lude isn't available, would be the E2R5 (89 LXi), and then the E2R6 (89 DX/LX) in order of preference, right? If I put the E2R6 in, I would get better fuel economy though correct?

Sorry for all the questions, want to get this right

Vehicle

Yeah, if a lot of people are seeking them out, might be hard to find.

So the one I'm looking for would be the A2K5, not the D2J5 or the D2J3 right? My junkyard pulls them for you so I won't be able to see the engine. I want to be able to tell them EXACTLY what to look for because I know they'll fuck it up again if I don't.

My next choice, if the Lude isn't available, would be the E2R5 (89 LXi), and then the E2R6 (89 DX/LX) in order of preference, right? If I put the E2R6 in, I would get better fuel economy though correct?

Sorry for all the questions, want to get this right
    crap I don't know the part number of the lude one, you might be able to find it in search, can you ask to see the engine before they pull it?