Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Remove speedometer cable on TRANSMISSION end

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Remove speedometer cable on TRANSMISSION end

This same issue came up in another thread too. This is the interesting post in the thread for me. Unfortunately, I can't verify the claim. Looking at part numbers on Majestic's site, the parts (flywheel, pressure plate, friction disc and mainshaft) all seem to be exactly the same across all years. I'm not sure how to explain the difficulties that those two threads describe. I do know that if you go to any wrecking yard, the 86/87 transmissions (A2Q5's) are considered bolt-on replacements for the 88/89 transmissions (E2R5's) and vice versa. The rebuild kit is the same for both. The shops could be wrong, of course. So whatever.

I rebuilt the AT on my '82 Accord many moons ago. I installed it and went for my first drive. It ran great. The next day, I noticed a slight tapping sound coming from the trans. Over the next few days, the tapping became a loud and noisy clattering and then a fierce fluid leak that blew a quart a week under the car and left a smoke trail behind me. I pulled the trans a few weeks later and found a bad seal. I also found the tops of my drive plate bolts skinned off and an ugly, radial crack in the drive plate. I had no idea what had happened until I found a mashed alignment dowel in the bell housing on the block. When installing the first time, I had somehow gotten the dowel caught between the block and trans and then crushed it while tightening the mounting bolts. Having it there pushed out the trans on one side by about 1/16". Very little, but enough to put everything out of alignment, flexing the drive plate to breaking point, causing the bolts to hit the block, breaking a seal and otherwise making a real mess of things.

No, I don't have Alzheimer's. The point of this rambling trip down memory lane is that there are all kinds of ways to mess up a big repair, and I say this as someone who has discovered more than his fair share. Sometimes, you know why and other times you can only guess. There are a few guys saying that the mainshaft does not fit into the crank on some transmissions, but there is almost no way to prove this conclusively. If you are bolting up the trans and it doesn't quite go on all the way, you cannot see what is preventing it from seating fully. You can only guess.

When I did my MT swap, I had the most amazingly difficult time of getting the transmission to seat fully against the block. I pushed and pulled and pried and shoved and cursed and swore and it simply would not go. I fought it for a couple days before buying a proper transmission jack that would hold the transmission at precisely the right angle for proper mounting. When I had the transmission at the right angle, it slipped on like butter. Maybe these guys are hitting the mainshaft on the crank, or maybe they are having other problems. It's hard to say for sure.

Again, I don't know.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord LX-i 5sp sedan 87 Honda Accord LX-i 5sp hatch

Snooz, just to be clear I'm not trying to start a fight with you and lost just trying to clear this up. I wish I had a picture of what I found but that was years ago, so unfortunately I don't. But I know what I saw, it was machined that way. Not only was it bigger around it was just slightly longer. I'm not old so I probably don't have as much experience year wise as you do, I'm 28 and I've been working on cars since I was 12. I know what I'm doing and I know what I saw, and apparently I am not the only one so I'm not crazy (at least I don't think so) I'm not saying that the trans won't fit because even if there is a pilot bushing (which seems to not be common on these cars, yet both of mine have one) it can be removed to make room for the bigger input shaft end. Btw I was lucky when I changed out my trans, it only weighs like 100 lbs so I put it in by hand and it slid right in no problem. Again not trying to start anything with yall, your car is beautiful and tims is, well different, he is very creative.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Sorry, I should clarify. I'm not questioning your mechanical ability or saying you're wrong or that I'm better than you (I'm saying the opposite, actually). It's just that we've had people recently calling all over town looking for pilot bushings and turning down good trannies believing that they won't fit. I know that some people have found bushings and different shaped mainshaft ends and I'm not questioning that. I was just trying to point out that experience is atypical and hasn't been well-documented with pics, caliper measurements, etc. Officially, the trannies are made of the same parts and there shouldn't be any problems swapping them. I didn't mean any offense and I probably should have stated as much. Sorry.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

all of the A20 series have the same block, why would they change the transmission when the block is the same? it doesn't mater if it's the prelude or the accord with this series, the only difference would be internal with the slightly different final drive ratios, thats why you need the original speedometer sender that came with that transmission, the driven gear teeth match whatever final drive is in the transmission

LX User
    Vehicle

Snooz, I have read enough threads on here to know you weren't trying to be disrespectful, you are, from what I have seen, a pretty good guy who is always willing to help, so no worries, there. I figured that either input shaft would work if you change out the pilot bushing (that is if your car is eqipped with one.) Both of mine were so I didn't know it was comon for them not to have them. I just discoved that the other night when I was browsing through some old threads. Then I got to digging and found that I'm not the only one to find a different input shaft. So I just thought I would bring it up here, to bring it to attention. My op on the subject was asking if you could just change pilot bushing, and then tim said they were all the same. I knew they weren't, what I didn't know was that not all thes cars have pilot bushings. This is my first honda that I have owned long enough to have to work on it, I have always owned fords and chevys and I work on tractors and big rigs, and they all have pilot bushings or bearings.
    Once again, not trying to cause trouble and I know you're not either. There is no hard feelings here. Especially not towards you mr snooz. I just went back through this thread, and I don't see where you even posted on the input shaft, so my apologies for tagging you in the "I told you so" post.

LX User
    Vehicle

The block has nothing to do with the input shaft, and the speed sensor has nothing to do with what gear ratio you have. It is driven off the differential housing after the final drive ratio. It is spinning 1:1 with your wheels. I already pulled mine out and compared the two after I posted it shouldn't matter which you use, and just as I suspected they are identical even though one came from a carbed trans and one came from a fi trans. If you like I could pull it back out and take a picture for you. I'm going to be adjusting the valves and doing an oil change tomorrow so its not too much of a problem.

LX User
    Vehicle

Or I could take a pic of the differential to show you the speed sensor rides on a ring gear that is wrapped around the differntial body. Its in my bedroom in a rubbermaid tub. I got my old trans tore down for spare parts.

LX User
    Vehicle

Its not like a truck with the speed sensor in the transmission. It is however like a ford truck with the speed sensor in the rearend. It doesn't matter if it has a 3.08 in it originally and you swap in 4.56 gears, the speedometer is still right.

LX User
    Vehicle

As you can see there would be no reason to have different speed sensors.
    Last edited by pickupman6; 06-20-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: duh forgot how to post pics

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by pickupman6 View Post
    The block has nothing to do with the input shaft, and the speed sensor has nothing to do with what gear ratio you have. It is driven off the differential housing after the final drive ratio. It is spinning 1:1 with your wheels. I already pulled mine out and compared the two after I posted it shouldn't matter which you use, and just as I suspected they are identical even though one came from a carbed trans and one came from a fi trans. If you like I could pull it back out and take a picture for you. I'm going to be adjusting the valves and doing an oil change tomorrow so its not too much of a problem.
    the transmissions use the same bell housings that attach to the same block, the manuals use the same flywheels and the automatics use the same flexplates and torque converters, why would the input shaft be different on one? Honda isn't going to spend a bunch of money engineering a few oddball input shafts when the rest of the assemblies are the same throughout the series

LX User
    Vehicle

I NEVER said that the transmission housings were different. I did say that some of the input shafts are different. I am not the only one who has noticed this either I posted 2 links to people who found different input shafts. I'm sure there are more. Maybe I will go searching tomorrow. And dr snooz posted a link that said not all mt flywheels are the same. Did you even look at any of the links I posted. I have been pretty dang patient with you, but its starting to wear thin. I simply asked a question about the difference about the two DIFFERENT input shafts that I found and at least 2 other people have. Why does honda do a lot of things they do? Who knows but the fact is there are two different input shafts whether you choose to believe it or not. Don't worry though while you were busy thinking I'm stupid, or that I'm lying about what I saw, I found the answer to my question. I only had to go back 8 years to find it. Btw did you get up with that member about the mirrors.
    Last edited by pickupman6; 06-20-2012 at 10:03 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle