Thread: I want to slam my 83 to the ground!

Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord automatic EK1

I want to slam my 83 to the ground!

Im getting the idea here that if I buy a set of coilovers the most I can go is about 1you 1/2 inches on my 83. Im not a big fan of cutting springs and want to get as low as possible without having to mess with tucking the fenders. I was thinking if I were to cut the perches off the struts and lower them then weld them at a lower height? Is this ok? Or is this basically just as bad as cutting springs?springs

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: I want to slam my 83 to the ground!

Feel around behind your tire. If you try to move the spring perches down, they will hit. There's barely a couple of fingers between the tire and the perch as it is. You could probably notch it out a little bit to clear it, I suppose, but welding on your shock... you're taking a huge chance that you're going to royally fuck up your shock internals. Not to mention if you need new shocks down the road, you'll have to do the same thing. UNLESS you buy some Koni inserts. Then you can gut the shocks and do what you want to them.

Check Hazwan's thread where he found some coilovers and adapted them to fit his car. That's the route you'd be best off going. Or just cut the springs. If you lower the car, and don't increase your spring rate, you'll be hitting the bumpstops. That's why I think cutting your springs would be easier.

Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord automatic EK1

Awesome thanks! I've cut springs b4 and got all kinds of issues. Crazy bad tire wear, alignment issues, wheel bearings, cc axles bad busted boots, bouncy, blown shocks Idk if I could afford it. Ill check hazwans out

Vehicle
    1985 Accord SEi

It's not the act of cutting springs that causes the alignment issues, but the act of lowering itself. It is very difficult to slam the 2gs with the McPherson strut setup. The camber doesn't change much with the first few inches of lowering, but if you go too far the camber will actually go positive due to the geometry of the suspension. If you really wanted to slam it, you would have to fabricate a new suspension, or adapt one from another car. I bought a set of new Moog variable rate coils for a hatch, cut off 1 coil, and got about 2 inches with no alignment change.

Vehicle
    1987 lxi

how could i get my 88 lxi to go that low i have wanted to but other then cutting don't really know how.

Vehicle
    1985 Accord SEi

On the 88 Accord, you can get coil-over sleeves. Then you just need some way to adjust for camber, either Prelude arms or a camber kit if you can find one.

Vehicle
    1987 lxi

sweet im new so i dont know my way around yet thanks shuld i keep my old rims or get new ones