Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Velocity stacks for bike carbs

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Re: Velocity stacks for bike carbs

Those stacks are a good fit for those carbs. I can tell you from my own experience with ITBs though that if there is ANY possibility of something coming apart (due to vibration, thermal cycling, etc.) it WILL. Looking at how the horns are pressed over the flange on the carb, I think there is still some possibility for them to work loose from the flange because of the taper that's created as the end of the horns flares out to fit over the flange. Just adding a clamp of some sort may help or it may not. One way to address this if they do end up working loose would be to cut some very short slots in the end of the stack (shorter than the ones that are already there) to make some small "tabs" that you can bend in so that they lock onto the lip on the carb flange. Then when you add a clamp it will compress the tabs to keep them from bending back out, and cover all the slots so you can't see them.

So how much room will you have from the stacks to the firewall? Looks like not much unless you have a really short manifold.

C|

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Those stacks are a good fit for those carbs. I can tell you from my own experience with ITBs though that if there is ANY possibility of something coming apart (due to vibration, thermal cycling, etc.) it WILL. Looking at how the horns are pressed over the flange on the carb, I think there is still some possibility for them to work loose from the flange because of the taper that's created as the end of the horns flares out to fit over the flange. Just adding a clamp of some sort may help or it may not. One way to address this if they do end up working loose would be to cut some very short slots in the end of the stack (shorter than the ones that are already there) to make some small "tabs" that you can bend in so that they lock onto the lip on the carb flange. Then when you add a clamp it will compress the tabs to keep them from bending back out, and cover all the slots so you can't see them.

So how much room will you have from the stacks to the firewall? Looks like not much unless you have a really short manifold.

C|

I know the gap allows it to slip over the mouth of the carb w/tension, but it also allows air in which could help cool the joint keeping thermal expansion in check. yes/no?

This one has even more slots, it could just be for aesthetics, or to even out the tension, or to lessen the contact to the carb to keep the heat from transferring from the carb to the stacks. Or maybe a single hole caused the stacks to whistle at a certain RPM so they added more holes to get rid of the whistle.

Just curious about why the slit is so long that it allows air in and if it's really a good idea to seal it, other than to keep dust/dirt out.
    Last edited by A20A1; 05-20-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post

C|
    I'm not too worried about them popping off. I had to tap them on with a piece of wood and a mallet, so I'm guessing that with the shrink clamps they should be fine.

As far as clearance I'm going to cut into the wiper cowling and build a duct box for the carbs, so I should have plenty of clearance.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle

Does anyone know if/where I can find articles or discussions on manifold runner length. Current carbs feel good with 6 inch runners, but I'd like to actually do the math this time around and figure out the best length to go with for nice and snappy throttle response without too much of a torque sacrifice.
    Last edited by turabaka; 05-21-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

One of the Weber performance books I had discussed runner length and size fairly in-depth. I can't remember the title, and I had several of them that I read at one point. This one talked heavily about theory.

I'd seriously head over to the Grassroots Motorsports Forum and post a "Learn Me" thread and make sure to specify that you're not a canoe. The collective knowledge there is absolutely staggering.

Vehicle

What in the hell is a "canoe"? Lol.

Sounds like a plan though. When I get some time to sit down and think I'll head over there.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

It used to be the code word for spam before they had a report button. The GRM staff would search the site daily for that word, because it was something that no one would actually use.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1 View Post
    I know the gap allows it to slip over the mouth of the carb w/tension, but it also allows air in which could help cool the joint keeping thermal expansion in check. yes/no?

The thermal expansion comment was mostly just a general statement, and probably wouldn't be an issue here. Where I had a problem was with trying to use a nylon insulating gasket between the manifold and head. It was mushy enough that the bolts would work loose as the engine heated up, causing uneven forces on the manifold, making it warp and hose up the alignment on the ITBs. It was a real mess.

In Turabaka's case I would be more worried about vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1 View Post

This one has even more slots, it could just be for aesthetics, or to even out the tension, or to lessen the contact to the carb to keep the heat from transferring from the carb to the stacks. Or maybe a single hole caused the stacks to whistle at a certain RPM so they added more holes to get rid of the whistle.

Just curious about why the slit is so long that it allows air in and if it's really a good idea to seal it, other than to keep dust/dirt out.
    Those do look odd. Not sure why they would be designed that way. On a bike these would be enclosed by an airbox no?

Quote Originally Posted by turabaka View Post
    I'm not too worried about them popping off. I had to tap them on with a piece of wood and a mallet, so I'm guessing that with the shrink clamps they should be fine.
    Yeah, might as well try it out first before making any further modifications.

As far as clearance I'm going to cut into the wiper cowling and build a duct box for the carbs, so I should have plenty of clearance.
    Cool! I had the same idea! You'll get to it before I do though so I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Does anyone know if/where I can find articles or discussions on manifold runner length. Current carbs feel good wiwith inch runners, but I'd like to actually do the math this time around and figure out the best length to go with for nice and snappy throttle response without too much of a torque sacrifice.
    Jenvey has some pretty good info:

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/jenvey/throt...envey-dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    It used to be the code word for spam before they had a report button. The GRM staff would search the site daily for that word, because it was something that no one would actually use.
    Canoe. I like it. I''m going to start using that.

C|

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

Holy shit Trevor, that's sick ass hell!!!!!!

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

^^ You!

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LX-i

It's been over a year about this project and looked promising. I would like to see the finished product

Pics please!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mperaza View Post
    It's been over a year about this project and looked promising. I would like to see the finished product

Pics please!
    Project is coming along slowly. The motor just got rebuilt, and I'm in the process of putting it back together. Carbs are on, but not tuned properly yet. I'm currently switching over to megajolt, so the cars not running at the moment.

I've been spending a bunch of time lately working on my new daily driver, to make it reliable. Bought a porsche 944 in february, so the accord is sort of on the back burner.

I'll be working on the accord more soon, and will definitely post updates When I get it running again.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Ahh! Bumped ll
    Great to see ya check in, 944 pics and project threads welcome too

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2oodoor View Post
    Ahh! Bumped ll
    Great to see ya check in, 944 pics and project threads welcome too
    I'll post some pictures of it sometime. It's pretty much just the usual 30 year old car maintanence. Wheel bearings. Struts/shocks, sway bar bushings, and ball joints.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Wow yes, 944 thread NAO. Also more bike carbs!

Vehicle
    86 accord hatch

This is awsome! Let me know how they work and what was needed to make them work. I saw the pics of your old setup and it looked prity easy. Im wondering about throdle cables and everything else. Ive decided to keep my stock motor and build it up a bit and deffinetly like this setup.

They only work good when your engine is wide open. Like when your 100mph on the highway You'll get horrible performance and if your knee is in front of it your pants will get sucked up and your engine will die. Run a regular air filter. I've learned this from experience