Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Muffler for this .....

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

Best Muffler for this .....

Ok Ive searched and searched but have not gotten any satisfying answers. What would be the best muffler that would accomplish hi flow and performance gains yet doesn't sound like a fart can and is not super loud cause that's just as annoying. Also i don't want to spend to much so reasonable priced ones are what I'm looking for.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Best Muffler for this .....

Quote Originally Posted by SladeHonda View Post
    Ok Ive searched and searched but have not gotten any satisfying answers. What would be the best muffler that would accomplish hi flow and performance gains yet doesn't sound like a fart can and is not super loud cause that's just as annoying. Also i don't want to spend to much so reasonable priced ones are what I'm looking for.
    porter, they look like glasspacks but have a great sound. they use a spiral type of louver, I built my own, but if I had to buy one thats what I would get, if you want a really quality muffler, you are going to have to pay some money.
    www.portermufflers.com

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

I love the sound of my Magnaflow. Nice and deep and not very raspy sounding.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Vibrant. (i kno.they sound good on turbo hondas)

But cats+resinators make a diff also in exhaust note.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle

these engines sound different then most other honda's of this era, so plan your muffler accordingly,everything is different, bore,stroke,block material, it all affects the sound, plus they are a larger displacement then the civic weedeater motors that were made at this time. if you want my opinion they sound like old brittish cars,

Vehicle

this is a pretty much stock system with no cat and a basic cherry bomb, this is also the factory carb, It will be interesting to see what the new system sounds like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgyhi...2&feature=plcp

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

Thanks for the advice so far .... I guess i need to add that Im going from header back (pacesetter headers, either 2.5 or 2.25 pipe and hi flow cat. as well so now what would sound the best after going through that line up)

Im not sure if this is true but somewhere i think i read that you can use a glasspack like a resonator to help deepen and quiet down the system as well if you do it and still think its too loud??

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

O and when I say reasonable i dont mean 30 bucks Im willing to spend some money, just dont want to spend 300 bucks on one if yall get my drift

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

A cherry bomb turbo sounds pretty good and not to loud.plus it doesn't cost a lot.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Honestly imo apex n1 style mufflers sound great as longs as you have a resonator. They are loud but no rasp. Had the nopi brand one with a resonator i got of a chevy at school abd 2.25 pipe, best sounfing ns car me and my honda friends ever heard that wasnt fully built and that had no raps.

Vehicle
    1986 accord LXI

I love the sound of my Flowmaster 40 series muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Jun...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    Honestly imo apex n1 style mufflers sound great as longs as you have a resonator. They are loud but no rasp. Had the nopi brand one with a resonator i got of a chevy at school abd 2.25 pipe, best sounfing ns car me and my honda friends ever heard that wasnt fully built and that had no raps.
    I had one of these in my first coupe. at 3700 rpm the resonation of the muffler matched the natural tuned frequency of the car and the ENTIRE car would vibrate to the sound of the muffler. It was too loud for me, sounded a bit ricey but I also has mandrel 2.25 piping installed as well. I swapped to a magnaflow and loved the sound.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

Yea i think the imo apex n1 is gonna be to loud for me I believe thats what a few people in my city have on there cars mostly Civics and it to loud. I like more of a low rumble and doesn't get all crackly sounding when a lil gas is applied. If it does have a little of that sound would getting a glasspack as a resonator solve that ??

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

A resonator would quiet it down,I'm gonna put a magnaflow glass pack on mine to quit it down.It's on order so when i get it ,I can put it on.I'll let you know how it sounds.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I've always been a fan of the twin loop mufflers. You can get those for $70 or so.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

Quote Originally Posted by import racer View Post
    A resonator would quiet it down,I'm gonna put a magnaflow glass pack on mine to quit it down.It's on order so when i get it ,I can put it on.I'll let you know how it sounds.

OK cool do that what kinda muffler u running .... n how does magnaflow sound better than cherry bomb Turbo?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    I've always been a fan of the twin loop mufflers. You can get those for $70 or so.
    dual outlet style like on the Acuras and V6 Accords?

I need to so something different, mine has that "Briitish ragtop" sound as well sometimes. Im running a Chikara Header, 32 inch glass pack in place of the cat?resonator and then a stock generic 2.50 id muffler. ITS GETTING LOUDER and annoying.
    I think the sheet metal in the muffler catchs that frequency and acts like a reed.

If you have a cordless sawsall you can get a nice flowmaster or what have you from the pull a part. Look in the donka section, not imports.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

A single muffler (with no cat) is likely going to be too loud for most people unless you use a really huge muffler. Keeping a cat or adding a glass pack (essentially is a resonator) will cut down the rasp and the drone. Also, one other thing I discovered about the droning inside the car, is that you MUST extend the tailpipe past the cutout in the bumper cover by a couple inches or so. If you don't, the sound gets reflected off the inside of the bumper cover back towards the rest of the car and makes the body vibrate. Tips that flare out will also make the tailpipe noise louder (just like a trumpet).

C|

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

The camera made it sound A LOT rasiper then it was. This was before resonator. I had pacesetter header, high flow cat, crush bent 2.25id pipe to the 4inch tipped "the one" brand muffler(apex n1 style).

Point is a resonator will get rid of any unwanted "rasp". Get the longest resonator u want, and just pick a muffler u visually like.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

O really well that's good news cause that raspy crackly sound is so annoying and I was nervous about the exhaust system I was going to put in but that's great news

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBa9t...eature=related

That's what I'm talking about. I really like the sound of them.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

I think ima go with a magnaflow muffler they have the deepest nicest tone ive heard so far and maybe a cherry bomb glasspack as a resonator and a magnaflow hi-flow cat. I think that will sound great and give some performance boost as well. What you guys think?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

The Magnaflow does sound really good on these cars. Their cat doesn't eat any HP, either.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Uhhhh okay so the better the flow of the whole exhaust system the more "ricey" it sounds honestly. A solid exhaust system on a 4banger will have a bit of rasp. If u get 2inch exhaust then ut won't be as prevalent. Just think about it, all 4banger sound the same at high rpm just different pitches and tones. Just pick a muffler, get a 2.25 inch exhaust and a long&good resonator and ill be fine.

Also incar and out of car videos make exhaust notes sound different.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    Uhhhh okay so the better the flow of the whole exhaust system the more "ricey" it sounds honestly. A solid exhaust system on a 4banger will have a bit of rasp. If u get 2inch exhaust then ut won't be as prevalent. Just think about it, all 4banger sound the same at high rpm just different pitches and tones. Just pick a muffler, get a 2.25 inch exhaust and a long&good resonator and ill be fine.

Also incar and out of car videos make exhaust notes sound different.
    OK I didn't know that so you think the set up I sed earlier is gonna sound good its a few post back?