Thread: Summer Tires: What to do?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX - Carbeurated 2.0L Auto

Summer Tires: What to do?

It's getting around that time of year and I'm going to be looking for a set of tires for the summer for my '89. When I bought it, it had Canadian Tire Motomaster AW tires on it, two of which were worn out. I replaced them with four winters, but I still have two of the all seasons.

Is there much experience here with the Motomaster tires? They are 185/70R13s..

Does anybody have any other recommendations with regards to a set of all seasons for the summer on my Honda? I had Michelin Harmony tires on my old car but they're not available in my size, meaning I would also need to buy a set of rims on which to mount them.

Should I go with a set of 14 inch rims, or just two more Motomaster 13 inch tires? ( As they're the only ones I can find in the stock size) I don't really have a whole lot of money to burn, but I want to get good bang for my buck.. Any recommendations for tires would be great!

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Re: Summer Tires: What to do?

There is not too much to choose from in that size; going to 14" (and especially 15" opens up the choice range a lot)
    I did not want to throw away the OE alloys in my 86 LX-i, so I narrowed down to Sumitomo (HTR T4) and Falken Sincera SN828 (Falken is a Sumitomo brand). I could not get then Sumitomos so I went with the Falken (2) and I will get the other two soon. They are fine, although I cannot talk about thread life (they are two months old) But they ride fine in a daily driver.

http://www.4quicktires.com/cwtiresb.php
    www.discounttiredirect.com

In 14", the OE size is 195/60r14 (88-89 LX-i and SE-i) and its external diameter is the same as the 185/70 r13. An alternative size would be 185/65r14; that would keep keeping speedometer readings accurate within 1 percent.
    In 15", I believe 195/55r15 is quite close to OE diameter (1-2 percent difference in speedometer readings) Check an tire size calculator online
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Re: Summer Tires: What to do?

they make the t4 in 185/70r13 so if you want to stick to the 13's i'd go with that, beyond that you have no real option from most companies.
    dead white and blue