Thread: Wtf! Still leaking oil

Vehicle
    1986 Accord lx 5 spd Sedan, 1999 Em1/98' spec ITR swap

Wtf! Still leaking oil

Ok I feel like I am at WAR with this dam oil leak. It is the same leak that has been going on since I bought this car. It's dripping from the lower timing belt cover and runs down the side of the oil pan gasket which meets up with the t-belt cover. After a 3 hour battle with the oil pan last night I was HOPING that would fix it but no, of course not.

here is the list of seals that I have changed in order:

valve cover gasket and grommets
    cam seal
    crank seal
    oil pump seals
    water pump seal
    oil pan gasket (what a pain the the ass)

A part of me wants to say it's the dam crank seal but that has been changed along with everything else from that side of the motor. As stated before, the leak drips DIRECTLY from the bottom little nipple looking deal on the lower t-belt cover and tends to run along that side of the oil pan.

Thanks for any help guys.
    Last edited by l0l; 03-30-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Re: Wtf! Still leaking oil

If you are really stumped clean up the areas with Brakleen and try to see if you can trace it or do a oil dye test with a black light. I believe parts stores sell a dye kit. Here is a example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMEMYx9kkBo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8N-...eature=related
    Last edited by Bluntman; 03-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

the crank seal can still leak if not installed correctly which is so easy to fuck up.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    the crank seal can still leak if not installed correctly which is so easy to fuck up.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    My '66' GT I built. My first Hot Rod magazine Cover "Summer 85". I've had it for 32 years, since I was 18. It's a trailer queen. 289 Hi-po, t-10 Toploader 4speed, 9 inch rearend.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

Im having killer problems from mine too express lube changed my oil yesterday and told me that my rear main seal was leaking also so ima try that one next Ive changed like 7 already or something like that. Its so annoying and frustrating.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

NAPA sells the dye kits (and other stores as well); that would be the fastest way to catch where the oil leak comes from.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Quote Originally Posted by SladeHonda View Post
    Im having killer problems from mine too express lube changed my oil yesterday and told me that my rear main seal was leaking also so ima try that one next Ive changed like 7 already or something like that. Its so annoying and frustrating.
    pressure wash the engine and then see where the leak comes from. I chased all my oil leaks that way. My rear seal was badly damaged (it had a tear)... no more leaks now!
    Rear seal is difficult to install because it is freaking large, but if you are really patient and careful it may be installed slowly without special tools.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle

I first payed a "mechanic" to do to my t-belt and seals (for cheap) and he totally fucked up my timing so I ended up having to re-do the entire belt by myself (runs and sounds great now). I am now thinking he some how messed up my crank seal! I figured well, ok it's probably the oil pan gasket. I went ahead and did that last night (still same original leak). Now, I'm leaning more towards the shade tree mechanic that originally did the work.

So now I will be doing it all over, again. I am so pissed, if I even call the dude that originally did the work it's not going to be pretty. I will just have to suck it up I guess....tough lesson learned.
    Last edited by l0l; 03-30-2012 at 04:24 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

Quote Originally Posted by ecogabriel View Post
    pressure wash the engine and then see where the leak comes from. I chased all my oil leaks that way. My rear seal was badly damaged (it had a tear)... no more leaks now!
    Rear seal is difficult to install because it is freaking large, but if you are really patient and careful it may be installed slowly without special tools.
    I might have a friend install that one then cause im not super good on that type of engine work and ive never changed that seal before. I bought the full gasket kit already and yea i seen how big it is along with the other stuff with it not sure if i can do that one myself, without a tutorial

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/honda/accord lxi

I was thinking, im finding oil on the front right side of the engine at the bottom near the belts what could that be? When I look from underneath the car thats where its dripping right underneath those belts

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SladeHonda View Post
    I was thinking, im finding oil on the front right side of the engine at the bottom near the belts what could that be? When I look from underneath the car thats where its dripping right underneath those belts
    Probably same shit I am dealing with. Could be Crank,Cam,Oil Pump...or even oil pan gasket. It's hard to really tell unless you get the T-Belt covers off.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by l0l View Post
    Probably same shit I am dealing with. Could be Crank,Cam,Oil Pump...or even oil pan gasket. It's hard to really tell unless you get the T-Belt covers off.
    A leak will travel the path of least resistance. Leaks can fool you. The best way is to clean it all up and trace it or use the dye also.
    Last edited by Bluntman; 03-30-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Vehicle

I am going to go ahead and get a oem crank seal from Honda. I have a feeling it's the crank seal again. I used a seal from ebay, plus that the jackass that I paid to do it originally probably didn't do it rite. Just going to bite the bullet and pull the t-belt off AGAIN and do it myself.

What do you guys recommend to get the crank sprocket off? That thing was a bitch to get off the first time. It took two of us the and it sucked balls. I have heard there is a 3 prong gear puller, does that work good?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I always assume that oil travels straight down from where it is leaking. I change the seal directly above where I see wet oil and work my way down from there. I change one seal and wait a few weeks. If the oil turns dirty and loses luster, I know the leak is gone. If it stays wet looking, I keep working my way down. That seems to work well enough for me.

The only special tool I use for installing new seals is the old seal. Place it directly over the new seal and slowly walk it in with a dead-blow hammer. Always lube your new seals with oil or white grease before installing or you WILL be doing it again very shortly.

I have also been having a lot of trouble with leaks since my rebuild. I suspect that the seals we are buying "new" are actually "new old stock" that have been sitting around on shelves since 1986. In that time, they have turned brittle and hard. They aren't much better than the seals that are already leaking. If you can't get a genuinely new seal, it will be really hard to get rid of all your leaks but I don't know where to get good seals anymore.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW