Thread: One low beam headlight not working.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

One low beam headlight not working.

Problem: Drivers side low beam headlight will not work.

Already done: replaced headlight, checked all fuses, found continuity between the fuses and the headlight wires, and replaced the combination switch.

Well I thought I had figured out the problem by replacing the combination switch. Guess that was not the case. Is there some type of headlight relay somewhere? It must be something between the headlight switch, and the fuses. If anybody has any suggestions I am open. Also the hazards do not work, but I am not sure if that is related or not.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

3Geez Veteran

Re: One low beam headlight not working.

Don't forget about the white/yellow gunk that builds up on the plugs behind the head lights! Too much could cause the connection to be bad.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

You checked both headlight fuses? If it's not the no 7 fuse I can't image what else it would be other than a break in the wire somewhere. This seems pretty likely since the driver side low beam IS connected to the ground by a different path/wire than the passenger side low beam and both high beams are all connected to.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Don't forget about the white/yellow gunk that builds up on the plugs behind the head lights! Too much could cause the connection to be bad.
    I saw this the other day when I was taking off my front bumper... What the heck causes that stuff?
    Last edited by 89HatchbackLxi; 04-05-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Vehicle

Yes I cleaned that off when I was testing all the leads. I'm completely frustrated with this now.

Quote Originally Posted by 89HatchbackLxi View Post
    You checked both headlight fuses? If it's not the no 7 fuse I can't image what else it would be other than a break in the wire somewhere. This seems pretty likely since the driver side low beam IS connected to the ground by a different path/wire than the passenger side low beam and both high beams are all connected to.

I saw this the other day when I was taking off my front bumper... What the heck causes that stuff?
    Yep, triple checked all fuses (even non headlight related fuses) . Was really hoping it was not a wiring issue, but I guess that's the only thing left. I found a diagram that shows a headlight control unit, but when I unplug it nothing seems to change.

Vehicle

Found the culprit, looks like somebody did a makeshift repair on the ground and re-routed the wires. This led to the wires binding against the chassis, and grounding to each other . Guess the reason they all had continuity was due to them all touching each other . Got it all re-wired and everything works perfectly.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

It's good to see you got it figured out and fixed properly.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX , 2009 Honda Ridgeline & 2005 Honda Civic (1987 Accord LX - RIP)

Excellent troubleshooting. I'm surprised you were not blowing fuse for left low beam with what appears to be a dead short. Similar thing happened with my old 87. High beam and ground wire next to the left headlight bucket shorted and would intermittently blow the high beam fuse. After repair I never lowered my headlight buckets again. I figured the wiring rotates slightly with every headlight bucket extension/retraction cycle and eventually the flexing breaks down the insulation and the wires short out. After purchasing my present 89, I raised the headlight buckets with the dash switch and they have not been retracted in almost 10 years.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You'll not live long enough to make them all yourself.

3Geez Veteran

^ A little anal, may I say? I've had four of these cars in three years and the head lights went up and down every single day without problems. I feel as though since Honda made the car with concealed head lights they would know that the constant extending and retracting would call for wiring that is flexible. The wiring he dealt with looks like it another problem in itself.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by car6289 View Post
    Excellent troubleshooting. I'm surprised you were not blowing fuse for left low beam with what appears to be a dead short. Similar thing happened with my old 87. High beam and ground wire next to the left headlight bucket shorted and would intermittently blow the high beam fuse. After repair I never lowered my headlight buckets again. I figured the wiring rotates slightly with every headlight bucket extension/retraction cycle and eventually the flexing breaks down the insulation and the wires short out. After purchasing my present 89, I raised the headlight buckets with the dash switch and they have not been retracted in almost 10 years.
    the wiring wears out after 20 plus years, but a couple of headlight sockets from the auto parts store, some simple wiring, and soldering and heat shrinking, and they are good for another 20 years of going up and down, the gas wasted by driving with the lights up would have paid for new sockets years ago, many times over

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 87roach View Post
    It's good to see you got it figured out and fixed properly.
    I was loosing my mind, it could not be much else lol.

Quote Originally Posted by car6289 View Post
    Me to, I figured with all 3 wires touching there had to be some fuse popping happening. Guess it was just running all the power to the brights lol. I added a little more wiring, and routed the wire properly. There seems to be no more issues with binding, but only time will tell.

^ A little anal, may I say? I've had four of these cars in three years and the head lights went up and down every single day without problems. I feel as though since Honda made the car with concealed head lights they would know that the constant extending and retracting would call for wiring that is flexible. The wiring he dealt with looks like it another problem in itself.
    Yeah I never had that problem with my other 2 3Gees, looked more like someone hackjob screwed mine up.

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the wiring wears out after 20 plus years, but a couple of headlight sockets from the auto parts store, some simple wiring, and soldering and heat shrinking, and they are good for another 20 years of going up and down, the gas wasted by driving with the lights up would have paid for new sockets years ago, many times over
    I used the same plug, but re-ran all new wired up to the fender. Should last a good amount of time lol.