Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1989 2dr coupe SEi

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: 1989 2dr coupe SEi

You won't have luck using the bose speakers the new head unit will most likely destroy them.

Sorry just read your using an amp.. Just be sure to match the ohms I know bose likes to use funky settings.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ghettogeddy; 02-17-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SEi 2dr Coupe

OK thanks I'll be careful, I'm an electrician and have been doing a lot of research on the Bose wiring differences. Mostly that they are using a common - (5 wire) speaker wiring back to the amp. I'm going to get a 6 RCA bundled cable to feed the amp and use the seperate speaker wiring +- from the amp location out to the speakers which it does have. 2 of the RCA's will be spares for a seperate bass kicker amp if I ever decide to add. Of course the Amp, only 400W into four channels will have seperate #8 copper batt. feed and a #8 ground. I've got a HD Radio module and a steering wheel control interface. Also putting the wiring in for rear backup camera which the Radios screen displays. I found that the bose speakers are 2ohms and did check that the amp will have no problem with them. So I thought I'd try them to see if they'll give me that good Bose sound.
    I have read that some add a Capacitor to the amp power feed to be more stable, any thoughts on that?

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Dx, 89 LXi

Caps don't really do a helluva lot in the grand scheme. To me it is another load to the electrical system, and doesn't magically make more current appear out of nowhere. What you can do though is beef up your alternator feed wire to the fuseblock, change the charge wire from the fuseblock to the battery, and change your chassis ground, engine ground and body ground up to 4ga. The original 8ga is pretty old and crusty and can really benefit from a refresh (you will also notice better starts, better electrical operation in general)

As to your distortion issue, the OEM Bose (Buy Other Sound Equipment. Ha!) does use a floating input with one shared common. The thing to keep in mind is the input level going into the oem amp. I have always had good results with interface boxes such as the Scosche FAI-4 and the like from PAC/Metra/Whomever (been out of the car stereo game for a couple years now as I build law enforcement vehicles instead) go give a nice, isolated proper impedance and voltage input to the OEM amp. As your factory speakers are over 24 years old now, turfing them out and putting in new ones, adding a four channel amp, etc are not bad options at all. They are bound to shit the bed at some point.

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

You're probably better off ditching the bose stuff and putting a whole new system in,bose is not that great a quality.They do a lot of advertising but they're not worth the money in my opinion.

DX User
    Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic

Quote Originally Posted by CB Coupe SEi View Post

Side view and my new honda fit take off wheels

I love this car!!!!!
    hmm awesome car... I am also a coupe lover because they are more affordable and good then sedan's... Your car is looking superb clean because as it is shining in the sunshine... Thanks for sharing the photos..Nice car.
    Last edited by Austin01; 09-23-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Vehicle
    08 tsx,89 sei coupe, 88 lxi sedan

nice find sir, so thats an auto car? how many miles ya got?

Vehicle

It has 107,020 when I bought it. From Florida, it was owned and garage kept by a Navy pilot in Florida. I payed a good price but it has never been smoked in. Now that I have replaced my interior it's like a new car. I'll never take it out in the winter and avoid rainy days in the summer. I sent the money down to florida and they delivered it to my door on a car hauler. If ever I did it again I would want the shipper to plastic rap the front end as the small stones damage could have been avoided. The automatic works great but really bangs into gear when shifting at fast idle (cold). I have replaced all the motor mounts without much improvement. I had a stick with my 1986 Accord and my current Civic which shift great. My 1986 was Carbed and got about 5mpg better than the Automatic with fuel injection.
    Last edited by CB Coupe SEi; 04-21-2013 at 09:21 AM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord lx 1968 ford mustang 2001 chevy 1500 4x4

was reading on this and saw you got your seat covers custom made where was this from?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by griffs68 View Post
    was reading on this and saw you got your seat covers custom made where was this from?
    Read and be enlightened: https://www.3geez.com/forum/accord-pi...ml#post1120088
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Maye this should have been a new thread, but since it started here. I had to get most of my new head radio wiring done before those seats went in. Just now almost completed the bose replacement. Kenwood head as mentioned works well with the small 4 channel amp and the original bose factory speakers. I have had all of them out for inspection, they were all still good shape. They do not have paper cones or foam suspension. They are a composite cone with rubber looking suspension, so they're great so far. Don't know how long they will last, but I'll worry about that when I hear any distortion, non so far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1686.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	5086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1687.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	5085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1693.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	5087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1695-2.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	5088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1696-1.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	5089
    Last edited by CB Coupe SEi; 04-21-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Vehicle

Slight hum at low volume and buzzes when dash light dimmer is anything but full brightness, "installing a head unit power filter soon". I was a little worried about routing the power cable below the ignition, then went through the firewall just below the vaccum relay box. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1700-1.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	5090

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Man, I can think of a lot of brands I'd be putting in my car before Bose or Kenwood. Does it sound nice to you?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Can't say I'm a true sound audio techi, but I've always been happy with Bose products and Kenwood seems like a full featured media player, It could have simplier controls, I really liked the clean face of it, at least looking higher quality (if not so) What brands where you thinking are sooo much better?

DX User
    Last edited by Stealth; 10-28-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by CB Coupe SEi View Post
    What brands where you thinking are sooo much better?
    I didn't used to think much about sound quality, but I've realized that when you have a bad sounding stereo, you just leave it off. Even if you aren't an audiophile and can't otherwise recognize sound quality. It's not necessarily bad to leave the stereo off, I guess, but if you're going to spend money on it, then shouldn't it do a good job too? I have an Alpine deck in my car with Memphis speakers in front and Polks in the back. I'm not recommending that setup because tastes are different. What I will recommend is that the next time you buy a stereo, go into the store with a stack of your favorite CDs (not MP3s). Then start listening to different setups and see what you notice. Spend a few hours listening to different configurations and you'll probably end up with a system that truly moves you. You don't have to spend an outrageous fortune to get reasonable sound, but you do have to spend some time on it. You'll also notice that some brands consistently sound worse than others.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Good thoughts and ideas, but I would have to think the CD era is almost over. We're in the 2010's and most music is going to be either streamed to the head unit or plugged in via a usb memory device. That's the main reason I chose the non CD version. I chose to leave the bose speakers in because they sound great, very clear with good range. I'll replace them if the new head unit and amp shorten they're aged existance. I could maybe use a bass box but at age 55, I don't need to rattle my neighbors windows. Thanks for the input!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

It's not about formats. It's about sound quality. MP3s and all the other ripping codecs destroy sound quality. They all make decisions about how much of the music to throw away. What they deliver is a highly degraded sound that is unnatural and abrasive to the ear. Vinyl is still the very best sound source you can get. To make CDs, they take about 75% of the music on an LP and throw it away. What results is a highly degraded sound. MP3's throw away another 75% of the music. The end result is an unacceptably compromised sound. I can't bear to listen to them. Haven't you wondered why no one uses iPods anymore? They were the hottest thing in the world 5 years ago, and now you never see them. They're all rotting away in drawers. Even the so-called "lossless" codecs like FLAC mangle and distort the sound. The only codec I'll use is WAV because it doesn't further destroy sound quality. CDs are going to stick around because they are the best digital sound source. Vinyl is also going to stick around because it's a true, uncompromised analog source.

Don't take my word for it though. Take a stack of your favorite CDs to the store and start listening to different setups. When the hair stands up on your arms and chills go up your spine, when the music brings tears to your eyes and inspires you with all the amazing things you want to do with your life, you'll know you've found a worthy stereo. It's no longer about formats and price points and discounts and features. Instead, you've been drawn into the music to explore a world that could be. That's why you buy a stereo. At least, that's why I buy stereos.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Haven't you wondered why no one uses iPods anymore? They were the hottest thing in the world 5 years ago, and now you never see them. They're all rotting away in drawers.
    Snooz, I'm gonna have to call you out on this one...either start working out or start paying more attention. Also, every phone now has MP3 capabilities and with half of the population using iPhones...you get my point.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Is it fair to say that you don't see every third person in any populated area wearing white earbuds like they were in 2003?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 SE-i

I wish to purchase the SE-I emblem for my 1989 Se-I. Plus wish to purchase complete rear tail lights (right & left) for my 1989 SE-I coupe...

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    I wish to purchase the SE-I emblem for my 1989 Se-I. Plus wish to purchase complete rear tail lights (right & left) for my 1989 SE-I coupe...
    OMG, what on earth makes you think he's parting out that car?
    1988 Accord LX-i 2-door coupe, 205K miles, updated 1/4/18.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Is it fair to say that you don't see every third person in any populated area wearing white earbuds like they were in 2003?
    You need to get out more, your point is way off but technicaly you are right because there are a crayola box of earbud colors now. Lol and everyone should have one of these...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	5183

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Now that iphones have an internal hard drive you can load them up with thousands of songs. My stereo has USB input. good for roadtrips and no more anoying commercials.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

I have had a few issues with using the components that I did and preserving the bose speakers, but am happy I did. They sound great and good bass for the music I listen to. My whin noise was resolved by the installation of a RCA four chanel filter.