Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1988 Aerodeck

DX User

Marvin - The '88 Aerodeck RHD

This is my 1988 Honda Aerodeck EXi. A20A4 motor in it, it's very clean and tidy with only a couple of spots of rust on the body work, but otherwise it's mint condition. Owned it less than 24 hours, and I've already started playing with it. Got some nice speakers in the rear, waiting for the speakers to arrive to go in the front, got my stereo in, and I've done a short ram air intake as the original intake is about 4 foot long! :shock:

Before:

After:

Oh, and it has this sticker on the driver's side wing on the top!!!! :shock:
    Last edited by Crazy_C; 08-07-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: 1988 Aerodeck

Looking good!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yup nice ride

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

Cheers. Doing a bit of work to it here n there. I spent most the day repairing the belt feeder as the cable had snapped. Took me half hour to find the bloody cable, and then when I started repairing it, it wasn't working as it had all stretched to a point where there was not enough tension in it to work. So I have made my own system for it to work, a lot shorter system and a lot more straight forwards too. I just have it running down the side, under the trunk release section, none of this curling and flapping about nonsense!

Disadvantage is that it only works properly with the seat in one position. Advantage is, it's my car, so the seat is always in my position so it works!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

What's the story on that shift knob?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

It was from my first car and has been in every car since. This car doesn't suit it as a shift knob but I'll find some use for it.

As with all Hondas, the horn is a bit weedy, so I thought I'd uprate it with a bit more power!

Vehicle
    VW Polo G40, 1986 Aerodeck EX (sold), 1987 Aerodeck EXi (RIP)

Looking great! Keep it up!

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord EX-i AT

Nice horn, man. Makin' me wana do something about mine..
    170 156.5km | 12 348.6km

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Nice and clean, the way I like an aerodeck!............... Is that a Monterey green aerodeck!?!?!?! :O

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

DX User

Well I've played with the horn a bit, relocated it and still running the factory horns so it's very loud now with the little beep from the Honda horns when I tap it n a full blast from the air horn when I hold it down. I've also set it up so it's only running one trumpet now too, and I'm going to get a second compressor for it as well so it's even louder!!

Yes, it is Monterey Green. I was thinking of respraying it all gloss black but I dunno now. I might do in time. Will probably leave it the green but paint the roof black to match in with the sunroof n tailgate top when I get the windows tinted.

DX User

New component speakers are in the front doors. Got one done today, going to get the other side done tomorrow. JBL 508C's. From what I can hear from the one side that's done, they sound awesome!!

Vehicle
    '89 Aerodeck EX 2.0i Excusive Edition

Nice! You are putting your plans into action fast.
    If it already sounds awesome with only one side done....

Whats the button behind you antenna button? Heated seats?

DX User

Oh yea, I don't hang around. Should be getting the new wheels in the next couple of days too

The button behind the antenna switch is the headlight washer system. The wipers have been removed for whatever reason (or I haven't found it yet!) but the washer is still there.

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_C View Post
    The wipers have been removed for whatever reason (or I haven't found it yet!) but the washer is still there.
    I don't believe these cars had wipers - just the high pressure sprayer.

DX User

Yea, they had wipers, and contrary to popular belief, could have front fog lights too (which I am trying to get too)

This is the Honda parts reference for the headlamp washer / wiper system

Last edited by Crazy_C; 04-20-2012 at 02:49 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Hatch

nice!

DX User

Speakers are now in the passenger door too, so it's all good. Got sounds all round now! Woop!!

Just a shame that my stereo doesn't work for the radio, what with it being from the states, it only works on odd frequencies but I rarely listen to the radio anyways so that doesn't bother me really.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

I think the wipers are only for the fixed headlights.

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

DX User

I did check, and it was available on the 3Gs here with the pop up lights, but it may have just been a UK / European option due to weather and the probability of getting road grime on the lights in the winter.

Got some footwell illumination going on now. It's wired into the door open sensor, so that when the passenger door opens, the passenger footwell illuminates, and the same applies to the driver's side (when I do that side that is!)

I put a pair of horns like that on my last car in the 80's. As I recall, without an air tank there was a delay of about one second between pressing the horn button and actually hearing the horn. Do you get that as well?

That reminds me that my last car (1972 Pontiac Catalina) and the 89 Accord BOTH had little horn buttons at the end of the steering wheel spokes. So, I've never driven a car very long that had a big center horn button. I guess, in Texas, that's probably a good thing because they "don't take kindly" to use of the horn, period.

DX User

Yep, I have that delay. It sucks, but you get used to it. That's why I still kept the factory horns connected, so there's no delay on them, and then when I hold it down, after a second, the air horn comes in for a full on blast!

Most Hondas here have the little horn buttons on the spokes, but this one for whatever reason has a massive one, unlike the other Hondas in Europe from the same time span.

I live in London, and that's why I upgraded my horns, because, well, lets just say that I have actually worn a horn out before living here!!

I've dropped it down to one horn now though, as the same amount of air was going through 2 horns, so they weren't as loud as having all that air going through one horn Next plan is to get a second compressor and then run it as 2 compressors, one horn, which should make it nice and loud!

DX User

Been playing again today, and got some bass in there now! 12" JBL power series sub and a JBL GTO 1004 amp bridged to 3 channels to power the sub and the components up front.

DX User

Got the drivers side footwell illumination done today too. The latch which senses if the drivers door is open had weakened so wasn't earthing properly, so a quick disassemble, spring stretch, and reassemble was in order and sorted it all out nicely

Just picked up the new wheels too, and they'll be on there tomorrow morning, so keep an eye out!

DX User

Got my new wheels on there today too. Love the look of them. 17" BK 299s Really needs lowering now though, probably 30 on the rear and 50 on the front.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord EX-i AT

Wow, lower it asap haha.. Nice rims though, they work with the car.
    170 156.5km | 12 348.6km