Thread: CVCC Exhaust Port Gaskets - Do I need these?

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

CVCC Exhaust Port Gaskets - Do I need these?

So I somehow managed to lose one exhaust port gaskets on my 79 and was wondering if I need these. Here's what I'm talking about. The port on the left has one installed, the right doesn't:

Any ideas? I tried going to Pick n Pull today to get another one but I can't get the exhaust manifold off the head without taking the whole head off so I can get to the bolts on the bottom. Does anyone know of a way to get at those bottom bolts on the manifold so I snag another one of these? I'm thinking these might do it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-99699.html

But it would be cool to get a confirmation before I go out and buy more tools.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: CVCC Exhaust Port Gaskets - Do I need these?

I dunno. I would say that you probably should run them. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to make one out of a sheet of exhaust gasket paper though. It's kinda hard to tell from the pictures exactly what's going on there though.

And as for those bolts on the bottom, I use a combination of end wrenches and wobbly sockets with extensions. Each bolt is a little bit different to get to, and I really haven't found a tool that will work on all of them.

Are those exhaust ports kinda recessed into the head? Does the exhaust manifold have extrusions that kinda fit into those?

Vehicle

These are made of thin metal and clip on. They're way thinner than the gasket that goes on the head and the gasket has holes that allow these to go through. The manifold itself has ports that are tapered in and are a single tube, no vents around the side. It really looks like removing these would free the flow of exhaust up a bit.

These don't look like they're going to actual hold any kind of seal and almost appear to be there for turbulence. I checked and the 76-78 CVCC didn't have them, just the 79 to 81. Only difference with these cars in CC and head shape. It's the same weird 2 port exhaust on all.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

That's simply a terrible design...some engineer got way creative and blundered all over the place..
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Ya I really should have upgraded to the standard 4 port 81 head but live and learn. At least there's plenty of these cars in the yard to pull from but my god getting that manifold separated from the head is one easily one of the hardest things I've done. If I can't get the frozen bolts off the donor car exhaust on Monday I'm taking a hacksaw to it.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by PDXAccord79 View Post
    Does anyone know of a way to get at those bottom bolts on the manifold so I snag another one of these? I'm thinking these might do it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-99699.html

But it would be cool to get a confirmation before I go out and buy more tools.
    Oo! Oo! I know this one!!!! There is a special tool that Honda made for getting to those lower bolts. It looks like a curly cue, box end wrench. It cost $15(?) or so from the dealer when I bought one 7,000 years ago. It works like butter. I don't think the Harbor Freight set is going to work for you though. The special tool has an offset that those don't have. If you don't have the offset, then you may be able to get the wrench on the nut, but no way to turn it as it will be wedged between the intake runners. I can sell you my special tool if you are interested. I haven't used it for probably ten years. PM me if you're interested.

You can also reach up from underneath and get those nuts. I had the engine out when we did that, so I can't say whether you would have to remove the exhaust pipe with the engine in the car. Worth a try though.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Here's the tool. Honda part #07705-0010100. It ain't much, but it does the job.

Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

That's perfect! I managed to get the head off another 79 in the yard today and it didn't have them in it! I'm starting to think that most cars had these thrown away if a head was replaced and I might just go without. If anything it's going to open up the exhaust a little bit which should be fine.

Vehicle

Just to let you know I'm disgusted by how clean your head is. ;-)