Thread: What does the battery light mean on the dash?

Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord automatic EK1

What does the battery light mean on the dash?

I have an 83 DX 1.8 EK and just turned the car on and the red battery light stays lit. I have 75000 miles on the motor and the battery is not known how old it is. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Re: What does the battery light mean on the dash?

Most of the time the "battery" light really indicates that the alternator is not providing enough juice to keep the battery charged. In older American cars the light used to actually be labeled "ALT." The battery icon just means charging system. Take the car to a local parts store and they can check it for free in the parking lot.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    Most of the time the "battery" light really indicates that the alternator is not providing enough juice to keep the battery charged. In older American cars the light used to actually be labeled "ALT." The battery icon just means charging system. Take the car to a local parts store and they can check it for free in the parking lot.
    Thanks for the quick resonates. I checkedundertje hoodandcome to see the belt slipped off it was still in tact but willbe looking for replacement. The adjuster bolt must of slipped some thanks alot

You lucked out! Glad that's all it was.

Vehicle

Actually the water pump pulpy seems to be wobbling and everytime I set the belt and start the car it flies off the puppy. So I'm on the hunt now for a water pump. It is the water pump that sits back near the firewall right? Looks like it has 4 bolts holdingg it onto the block

Vehicle

I'm also hearing a clicking or ticking noise from the fuel filter I think?? Its back near the gas tank under the car right on front of the rear driver tire.???

The water pump and alternator do share the same belt. I did not have good luck with my aftermarket pump from NAPA back in 1999. It started wobbling and making noise after about 16 months. I stick with Honda OEM pumps from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. Some guys here like the GMB water pump. It's up to you. I actually replaced my water pump pulley at some point in the past because it was not true anymore. My belief is that Honda's patented bearing/seal design can handle a certain amount of wobble. If your pulley is not true you might want to get a new/used one that is.

I should warn you, though, that I am an automotive perfectionist. The only way I can justify keeping this antique machine is to make sure I always spring for the best parts I can buy.

Vehicle

I appreciate the help. It appears that they don't produce the water pump anymore for the vehicle. I am getting one from auto zone for 23$ so we will see how it goes. I am with you though on putting the best parts in to maintain the integrity of the motor. Thanks again I'll be getting the knuckles greasy today so I'll post back later.

Oh, I see that you have an 83. I strongly avoid anything from Auto Zone. I suppose if it is a known good brand it might be OK. Rock Auto carries them, too.

rockauto.com

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by charliefowle03 View Post
    I appreciate the help. It appears that they don't produce the water pump anymore for the vehicle. I am getting one from auto zone for 23$ so we will see how it goes. I am with you though on putting the best parts in to maintain the integrity of the motor. Thanks again I'll be getting the knuckles greasy today so I'll post back later.
    I had troubles looking for the water pump for mine back then too. Oh well

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Well.... I went ahead and took the autozone water pump. I do have a year warranty. whaatever thaats worth. The water pump was fairly easy to remove. Part of the water pump tucks in behind the timing belt cover which was causing 98% of the problem on the installation. I had to get under near the vehicle and use a screwdriver to pry open the timing belt cover a good bit while a neighbor helped push the water pump into its place. It was certainly tricky with this darn plastic cover inhibiting it to slide ito its place. I do notice a slight squealing at really low rpms, like 500 that does come from the water pump area, could be belt tension or the pump?? ANy way thanks for the link to. ill go htere for the future.