Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Home made HUD system

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Re: Home made HUD system

Hmm.. Wouldn't it be easier to just drop the mirror from the setup and set the LCD display to display everything in reverse? Then the light source can be closer to the projector lens so light won't have to travel off the mirror first. Also as a bonus, it seems like it would allow a more small and compacted layout for the HUD that way. Or would that not work?

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by 89HatchbackLxi View Post
    Hmm.. Wouldn't it be easier to just drop the mirror from the setup and set the LCD display to display everything in reverse? Then the light source can be closer to the projector lens so light won't have to travel off the mirror first. Also as a bonus, it seems like it would allow a more small and compacted layout for the HUD that way. Or would that not work?

That's like what I was thinking. Replace the LCD backlight with something closer to a projector bulb. Then mess with the LCD image to get it oriented correctly top/bottom and left/right. Also see if inverting the image helps any. I'm not seeing why the mirror is needed either.

C|

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord EX - Single Port EFI, 4 doors Aut.

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    That's like what I was thinking. Replace the LCD backlight with something closer to a projector bulb. Then mess with the LCD image to get it oriented correctly top/bottom and left/right. Also see if inverting the image helps any. I'm not seeing why the mirror is needed either.

C|
    The problem is that the LCD has a piece of PCB in the back, so there is only 1/8 of inch to slide a light diffuser, LEDs, or something to light the LCD up.

Then, the projector Lens will reverse the image left to right and top to bottom.
    Top to bottom is easy to fix, so you only put the LCD upside down, but to fix left to right, you need the mirror.

I am thinking in experimenting with the Flash LEDs from an old cell phone, I know they are not designed to be on all the time, but I will see...

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Nafs Asdf View Post
    Have you thought about using LEDs for the lighting? Wouldn't need to worry about the heat then.
    Do you know any type of LEDs that could work? The LEDs must be surface mount, since there is very little room between the PCB and the glass to fit them.

Vehicle

This is not part of the HUD system project, but its something I have been doing in parallel. Modifying a JY cluster to fit low resolution LCDs that can be controlled with a microprocessor.

So this is how it is going.

Only 2 LCDs would fit.

Cut some plastic material in the corners, still don't know if there is room in the car

An example of the bigger LCD in text mode. Its resolution is 240x128 pixels

An example of the 240x64 pixels LCD in graphic mode

Taking pictures to a LCD is always a problem due to the refresh rate. But believe me, it looks much better live!
    Last edited by Buzo; 05-27-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    Do you know any type of LEDs that could work? The LEDs must be surface mount, since there is very little room between the PCB and the glass to fit them.
    very high end projector bulbs use surface mount LEDs. you would have to destroy a $60 bulb to get them out, though. they are mounted in PCB. not sure on voltage though, as they are connected to a driver intended for 120v applications.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle

Got my LCD programmed to write from right to left, so when using a transparent mirror in the windshield the driver gets the correct image.

Understand how hard is for the camera (and the cameraman) to focus a translucid image, so very bad pics, sorry. Once again you got to believe me that it looks pretty cool live.

I created an inverted video image for daylight (thanks for the idea, Cygnus!) and a normal video for nightime when the light reflects better.

Here some pics before 'permanent' install.

Last edited by Buzo; 06-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Vehicle

Great improvement!

Vehicle

OK, this is the deal.

I ordered 4 Graphic LCDs with a resolution of 128 x 64 pixels. Same white on blue color I have in below pictures, (but mine is 240x128 pixels) Take into account that a smaller LCD would be easier to fit in your car.

I am going to build RPM and SPEED displays with them, so anybody interested can connect their '-' terminal of the coil and the speed pulser to the LCD and get a nice digital odometer & tachometer. Flipping a sw would reverse the image to do something similar to what I am doing here with the mirror.

I could include AFR too, but it would need a different microcontroller with ADC and then the cost will be a little higher.

So far:
    LCD 128x64 pixels: ~20 USD or LCD 240X128 pixels (like mine): ~80 USD
    Micro w/o ADC: ~7 USD (no AFR) or Micro w ADC: ~17 USD (w AFR)
    Manufacturing cost: (not determined yet, but I don't intend to get rich with this )
    Shipping: from El Paso, TX, USA.

If anybody wants to design his own pattern/font, I will include instructions to do so, or send me your proposal before shipping.
    You can get the required signals, Ign, GND, Speed Pulser, Tacho (and optional O2) from your ECU connector below the driver's seat.

Those Displays are pretty sensitive to temperature, so you may need to manually adjust the contrast if you leave your car in the sunlight for some time.

Since I reduced the scope of the project (speed and rpm only!), I guess I can get mine working pretty soon and then you can decide if it is something you want for your car. For now, please just tell me how many of you guys might be interested.

If there are no potential buyers, no worries! because I already had plans for those LCDs. Just thought that someone else would like to test with curved mirrors, different fonts, installation, wiring, etc. and give feedback to improve the project.

Vehicle

OK, this is the deal.

I ordered 4 Graphic LCDs with a resolution of 128 x 64 pixels. Same white on blue color I have in below pictures, (but mine is 240x128 pixels) Take into account that a smaller LCD would be easier to fit in your car.

I am going to build RPM and SPEED displays with them, so anybody interested can connect their '-' terminal of the coil and the speed pulser to the LCD and get a nice digital odometer & tachometer. Flipping a sw would reverse the image to do something similar to what I am doing here with the mirror.

I could include AFR too, but it would need a different microcontroller with ADC and then the cost will be a little higher.

So far:
    LCD 128x64 pixels: ~20 USD or LCD 240X128 pixels (like mine): ~80 USD
    Micro w/o ADC: ~7 USD (no AFR) or Micro w ADC: ~17 USD (w AFR)
    Manufacturing cost: (not determined yet, but I don't intend to get rich with this )
    Shipping: from El Paso, TX, USA.

If anybody wants to design his own pattern/font, I will include instructions to do so, or send me your proposal before shipping.
    You can get the required signals, Ign, GND, Speed Pulser, Tacho (and optional O2) from your ECU connector below the driver's seat.

Those Displays are pretty sensitive to temperature, so you may need to manually adjust the contrast if you leave your car in the sunlight for some time.

Since I reduced the scope of the project (speed and rpm only!), I guess I can get mine working pretty soon and then you can decide if it is something you want for your car. For now, please just tell me how many of you guys might be interested.

If there are no potential buyers, no worries! because I already had plans for those LCDs. Just thought that someone else would like to test with curved mirrors, different fonts, installation, wiring, etc. and give feedback to improve the project.
    I am definitely hoping to get one of these awesome devices! As long as there are setup instructions included, Sign me up!

By the way, my car sits outside and I live in a desert area of california. So high heat is pretty standart for at least 6 months straight every year. This isn't going to be a problem to/damage the screen or anything is it?

Vehicle

A night shot.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Sick!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 89HatchbackLxi View Post
    I am definitely hoping to get one of these awesome devices! As long as there are setup instructions included, Sign me up!

By the way, my car sits outside and I live in a desert area of california. So high heat is pretty standart for at least 6 months straight every year. This isn't going to be a problem to/damage the screen or anything is it?
    There will be a potentiometer that must be adjusted at least two times during a normal day, less contrast after the Display has been exposed to the direct light of the sun, and more contrast when you start driving in the morning. Extra precautions may be taken, like using the heat and light protector thing in the windshield when your car is parked, but certainly there will be no damage to the LCD.
    Thanks for your interest! I am working in bigger fonts for the speed right now and I should be ready to take a video today.

I also plan to cut the mirror and make a 45 degrees slot for it in the base, so I get rid of the pieces of plastic in the sides and we will see a mirror with the exact size of the screen.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Sick!
    Thanks! I'll be doing more experiments, like reducing the backlight intensity so we get ride of the blue background and leave the numbers only. I need to think also how to get rid of the extra reflection in the windshield. I need to add a cover (something like a cap) to the top of the mirror.

Vehicle

There will be a potentiometer that must be adjusted at least two times during a normal day, less contrast after the Display has been exposed to the direct light of the sun, and more contrast when you start driving in the morning. Extra precautions may be taken, like using the heat and light protector thing in the windshield when your car is parked, but certainly there will be no damage to the LCD.
    Thanks for your interest! I am working in bigger fonts for the speed right now and I should be ready to take a video today.

I also plan to cut the mirror and make a 45 degrees slot for it in the base, so I get rid of the pieces of plastic in the sides and we will see a mirror with the exact size of the screen.
    Awesome!

A potentiometer? Is that just going to be a little knob or something attached that'll control the contrast easily? And ok, I always put a visor up when it's parked in the sun anyways, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Can't wait to see the video of it in action!

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord lxi

I've been following this since the beginning and this is turning out to be crazy! I think I might need to invest in this

Vehicle

More updates, you don't have to do this, just placing the LCD above the cluster should be enough, but I did it for a less-invasive view.

Vehicle

Went to a store where they build aluminum windows and got some mirrors, plexiglass and this nice aluminum slot and the little rubber piece that holds the mirror in place. After some cuts and bends I fixed it in its place with a couple of screws.

Vehicle

Now the electrical stuff. I dismounted the cluster and found all the signals can be found underneath that little plastic piece.

I also found that there is plenty of room in the sides of the cluster to fit the electronics.

Vehicle

Its already night time here... Some more pics with the help of my flashlight. The wires you see coming out of the dash are for development only. As soon as I calibrate the speed I will disconnect those wires and put the cover in its place.

Vehicle

A couple of views with a standard mirror, and with a polarized plastic.
    If I find problems during daylight, I may use the mirror during the day and the plastic at night. Still some testing to do with different tints before I decide.

Here a couple of pics with the lights ON and OFF, and note the flash of the camera does not disturb the reflected image.

The third picture is using a mirror (still not the correct one!). There is no view through it but it won't lost any light.

Last edited by Buzo; 06-02-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by HelenKellerrr View Post
    I've been following this since the beginning and this is turning out to be crazy! I think I might need to invest in this
    Thanks! And the most important is still to come. The ability to see your speed like if it was drawn in the road! For that I will create different fonts until I get the desired effect.

The late 80's nissan 300T had a system in it like this. Maybe you could salvage a windscreen sticker. they used a polarized sticker to the right of the gauge cluster just above the dash. Looked almost red/bronze. do away with the plastic and just use the sticker. great idea I love it. If its possible to image it near the top left A pillar Id do it as well.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord lxi

Fitting it in the dash above the cluster looks 100 times better imo.

@mykwikcoupe your pic always makes me laugh haha

Vehicle

Wow, this is turning out perfect man!

So... how much does a pre-installed to cluster version of this cost? jk lol. What did you use to cut the hole into the cluster cover trim?
    Last edited by 89HatchbackLxi; 06-03-2012 at 10:50 AM.