Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Home made HUD system

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord EX - Single Port EFI, 4 doors Aut.

Re: Home made HUD system

Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe View Post
    The late 80's nissan 300T had a system in it like this. Maybe you could salvage a windscreen sticker. they used a polarized sticker to the right of the gauge cluster just above the dash. Looked almost red/bronze. do away with the plastic and just use the sticker. great idea I love it. If its possible to image it near the top left A pillar Id do it as well.

I am looking for the perfect windshield sticker like mad. I do have different tints to play with, but have not applied any one yet. I'll take a look to these cars over internet to see how they work and then go for one in the YJ.

I guess if you tilt the LCD you can easily change the zone where the image is projected. Due to the curves of the windshield it is possible you get the image slightly distorted, but the numbers projected can be distorted also, and get them corrected by the windshield (through some trial and error experiments)
    Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe View Post
    So... how much does a pre-installed to cluster version of this cost? jk lol. What did you use to cut the hole into the cluster cover trim?
    Sure! I used my dremel and the metal cut disks. The idea is to send to those interested the whole assembly with the proper length of wires so you just glue it to your cluster and connect 4 wires. But saving your original cluster cover is not a bad idea. Next time you go to the yard, grab one of these.

Vehicle

I should be able to upload the video tonight.
    It is working perfectly displaying both, engine rpm and vehicle speed.
    The LCD screen has big numbers only, have not added anything cool yet since I was making it work to perfection, then everything else will be just extra.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    I should be able to upload the video tonight.
    It is working perfectly displaying both, engine rpm and vehicle speed.
    The LCD screen has big numbers only, have not added anything cool yet since I was making it work to perfection, then everything else will be just extra.
    Can't wait to see it in action!

Vehicle

Spent the evening applying tint to some pieces of plastic and to one section of the windshield too. Then got tired. So I will make the video tomorrow. But it works, its all I can say for now

Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX sedan; 2011 Accord EX-L sedan

Holy carp this is a good idea, and you're just freaking executing it to perfection! Great work man, can't wait to see the finished product!

Vehicle

A screenshot of the video i am uploading.
    No one of the plastics with tints worked OK during the daylight. So I am using the mirror during the day, and it would be optional to change it at night.

Here is the link http://youtu.be/CEXDp1EM8Nk

hahaha, sorry. Selected the "reduce video shaking" option in utube and everything got distorted, but well, pay attention to the numbers and how they get updated accordingly to the speed.

Last edited by Buzo; 06-06-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Vehicle

A screenshot of the video i am uploading.
    No one of the plastics with tints worked OK during the daylight. So I am using the mirror during the day, and it would be optional to change it at night.

Here is the link http://youtu.be/CEXDp1EM8Nk

hahaha, sorry. Selected the "reduce video shaking" option in utube and everything got distorted, but well, pay attention to the numbers and how they get updated accordingly to the speed.

Nice. One question though, is the number skipping due to a low transfer speed somewhere between the ECU and the display? Or is that really just the speed the ECU operates at?

DX User

thats amazing! the old grand prix/ grand am or cavaliers or something like that had something similar so there might be some info on what kind of tint they used

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 89HatchbackLxi View Post
    Nice. One question though, is the number skipping due to a low transfer speed somewhere between the ECU and the display? Or is that really just the speed the ECU operates at?
    It's the way I designed it. I first clear the speed and rpm counters, then count the number of pulses received into a period of 0.5 seconds, and then let the ECU update the Display. Hold the last numbers for another 0.5 secs while I re-do the count.

I liked that way because you can get increases of "1" in the speed, if I try to shorten the time, lets say count for 0.05 secs then I need to do a multiplication x10 and I will get increases of "10" MPH.

An example is the RPM counter in which I got increments of 30 RPM (I multiply revs per second x 60 to get camshaft revs per minute, then divided by 2 to get crankshaft RPM)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dark_accord View Post
    thats amazing! the old grand prix/ grand am or cavaliers or something like that had something similar so there might be some info on what kind of tint they used
    Thanks! I found that if I put the LCD closer to the windshield, I get a nicer image, but I need to tilt the LCD to get the perfect 45 degrees angle and then I see both, the LDC and the reflection, at the same time. I saw a video of someone putting his iphone's gps application like that so the look is more confusing, unless you cover the lcd...

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by go2eleven View Post
    Holy carp this is a good idea, and you're just freaking executing it to perfection! Great work man, can't wait to see the finished product!
    Thanks for your comment! The constraint of this project is again the poor backlight's intensity of the LCD. In order to be able to reflect the image from the windshield during the day, we would need to increasing the power of the backlight. The GM HUD I saw, had a pretty big heatsink, meaning a lot of heat dissipation is needed to create a powerful enough light.

I'm happy with the mirror. It takes almost no view space. I saw one where you can adjust the angle of the mirror with a couple of screws in the sides, so I plan to get something similar, and it will address my safety concern of being crashed in the back and get that mirror straight into my face.

Vehicle

Its time to add more graphic stuff. A horizontal filling bar instead of the RPM number should be OK for demonstration. It is easy to add graphics if I was writing from left to right, but since I need to reverse the image then need to add more calculations to get the right position in the LCD.

Vehicle

It's the way I designed it. I first clear the speed and rpm counters, then count the number of pulses received into a period of 0.5 seconds, and then let the ECU update the Display. Hold the last numbers for another 0.5 secs while I re-do the count.

I liked that way because you can get increases of "1" in the speed, if I try to shorten the time, lets say count for 0.05 secs then I need to do a multiplication x10 and I will get increases of "10" MPH.

An example is the RPM counter in which I got increments of 30 RPM (I multiply revs per second x 60 to get camshaft revs per minute, then divided by 2 to get crankshaft RPM)
    Oh ok. That makes sense.

Is it something that is possible to change though, like as simple as updating a firmware to process the speed differently (like adding a second multiplier variable) or would it take more work that it is worth?

The current set up is something like: [ Input x Time = X ] right?

So, for example, what if you were to change the time to something like say .25 (then use an additional x2 multiplier of the current pulse count multiplier setting) or even .125 seconds (@ 4x the current pulse count multiplier) (or faster yet even depending on how quickly your setup will allow it to process everything, you mentioned graphics, so I'm assuming it has some pretty decent power to it) Anyways, using this method, you will be able to get a faster refresh rate, but keep the accurate numbers that you are already getting, right? Unless my math is completely wrong lol, or maybe you are limited to using a single multiplier with this set up? I just realized that I could quickly code what I was just describing with javascript, so I figured it might be possible to write it with whatever you're using to code/program this as well, I have no clue how you're running it though, so maybe everything I just said won't apply to this in the least, haha.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE what you're doing here and I think it's totally awesome, I was just wondering if it was easy to get this setup to operate at a refresh rate that is closer to what is typically found in cars that have an OEM HUD system, since most GPS based speed devices or apps use a frame rate that is similar or about equal to the speed of the refresh rate in the video you posted. Since this is gonna be built into the dash though, might as well try for the OEM look if it's possible.

Also, regarding the light intensity, it's to bad there isn't enough room for one of these back there. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/27W-High-Po...k_light_9d.htm

In all serious though, would something like this be bright enough+small enough? http://store.ijdmtoy.com/1W-DE3175-D...led_hp_d31.htm I know it gives off some heat, but it's still less than an ordinary bulb but also brighter than non "high-power" type leds.
    Last edited by 89HatchbackLxi; 06-07-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Vehicle

There is a faster way to measure the exact speed and RPM. You wait for the beginning of the pulse (lets say the rising edge of the pulse), and count until you find the next rising edge. Then you just get the inverse (1/count) and get the speed/rpm with very high precision.

In a 60 MPH it will take 16 ms to get the exact speed + the LCD refresh rate, you can easily get your LCD updated 10 times per second.

But as you said, Does it worth it? RPM are so variable from turn to turn that you would need to use lags to be able to actually read the last two digits.

I think screwed it up by posting a video taken in a slow street, I thought it was more significant to show how it goes up and down, because once you are cruising you see a fixed number in the screen varying only +/-1 MPH.

What I am planning to do for customization, is to create a header in the program where you can change your speed and rpm multipliers, you can also create different graphics, change the XY position of the numbers, etc. into the limitations of our LCD of course.

Please feel free to keep giving feedback. I really appreciate your time and interest in this project!

Vehicle

There is a faster way to measure the exact speed and RPM. You wait for the beginning of the pulse (lets say the rising edge of the pulse), and count until you find the next rising edge. Then you just get the inverse (1/count) and get the speed/rpm with very high precision.

In a 60 MPH it will take 16 ms to get the exact speed + the LCD refresh rate, you can easily get your LCD updated 10 times per second.

But as you said, Does it worth it? RPM are so variable from turn to turn that you would need to use lags to be able to actually read the last two digits.

I think screwed it up by posting a video taken in a slow street, I thought it was more significant to show how it goes up and down, because once you are cruising you see a fixed number in the screen varying only +/-1 MPH.

What I am planning to do for customization, is to create a header in the program where you can change your speed and rpm multipliers, you can also create different graphics, change the XY position of the numbers, etc. into the limitations of our LCD of course.

Please feel free to keep giving feedback. I really appreciate your time and interest in this project!
    Oh wow, the customization feature sounds perfect.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Nice its coming along great! Keep it up! Is it possible to add a illumination for the interior lights for when it gets dark?

Vehicle

I did hide the controller and wiring inside the cluster cover. I just left a serial connector hanging from one side to be able to make updates to the firmware, but everything else is now properly covered.

I guess I've been spending too much time creating the mirror-view for the rpm progress bar with no success. So I will temporarily put my LCD in vertical position until I complete the design and make sure it works with the right scales and everything. That means that my HUD will look something like this one for sometime:

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

I'll pay you to make me a digital dash like that, just make it fit the stock gauge cluster area.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by CzEcHy View Post
    I'll pay you to make me a digital dash like that, just make it fit the stock gauge cluster area.
    Yeah, that is fucking sick. I love the way that look!
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle

I will finish the HUD system first, then the Clock as O2 display and finally the Digital Cluster. I received today the small LCDs I ordered so I am ready with the required parts for all my projects, I just need some more free time...

Vehicle

Another quick update. I found the solution for the undesired reflection of the LCD at night (not the double image, but the upper reflection due to the curve of the glass): A privacy filter. The ones used for computer monitors. I would recommend it for those that want to put the iphone over the dash and get the reflection in the windshield too.

Also finished the routines to select how to write the information in the LCD, either left to right and right to left with a flip of a SW. I also selected the way the RPM indicator will look like. At this time I am bench testing the Speed and RPM counters to make sure they are properly scaled. I am also going to put the LCD and controller in a project box with ports for programming, 12V volts and signals. I might need to cut a bigger hole in the top of the dash, but wtf, one more hole is nothing.

I am really excited to be closer to the end of this project!

Vehicle

Another quick update. I found the solution for the undesired reflection of the LCD at night (not the double image, but the upper reflection due to the curve of the glass): A privacy filter. The ones used for computer monitors. I would recommend it for those that want to put the iphone over the dash and get the reflection in the windshield too.

Also finished the routines to select how to write the information in the LCD, either left to right and right to left with a flip of a SW. I also selected the way the RPM indicator will look like. At this time I am bench testing the Speed and RPM counters to make sure they are properly scaled. I am also going to put the LCD and controller in a project box with ports for programming, 12V volts and signals. I might need to cut a bigger hole in the top of the dash, but wtf, one more hole is nothing.

I am really excited to be closer to the end of this project!
    Nice. Can't wait to see what you've done with the graphics.

Vehicle

I like it a lot. It might be because it took me like 3 weeks to be able to make a non flat RPM bar like the one in the picture.

Both pics were taken with the privacy filter over the LCD as you can see.

The whole assembly is now like 1.5" tall, so it can be placed close to the windshield, or over the cluster with the mirrow/polarized glass as I currently have it installed.

I'll do more testing tonight.

Vehicle

Looks great!

Vehicle

After all my testing decided that a LCD with blue background is not recommended for a HUD, because you will always see the rectangle in the windshield that blocks the view. A black background with white letters should be used instead.

So, This is my final installation. I saved the small piece of plastic I cut from the top of the dash, I will glue it to cover the hole.
    The privacy filter works great to avoid the windshield reflection as can be seen in the second and third pic.