Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made HUD system

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord EX - Single Port EFI, 4 doors Aut.

Home made HUD system

I'm going to build a HUD system for my car. I will take 2 approaches:

1) Projector, I will use the following schematic to project the LCD image to either a white screen or the windshield. This one will work only at night per sure.
    I have done it before for my bedroom and I know finding a strong light source is the bigger problem. The most the power, the most the heat to dissipate.

I will use my carpenter skills and build it as compact as possible. I do have pretty much everything on hand to give it a try this weekend.

2) Professionally install my LCD in one side of the dashboard. (I never thought in this option before!). I will hide all the electronics and encapsulate the LCD only. I am working right now in building a PCB with a processor where I can store up to 250 images. So emulating the one in the picture below will be possible.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Home made HUD system

So AWESOME!!!!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

found a light source yet? when I work next ill look into what we can get in 12v high wattage stuff
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Can't wait! If it turns out good, make a few of them so I can buy one from ya, lol.

I have that app from the 2nd pic installed on my ipod, It works pretty decent for a simple HUD for nighttime driving at least.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

cool project
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 LX-i Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1 View Post
    cool project
    Dude that's dope. I would love one of these. You got some crazy skills with electonics for sure I'm going to keep watching this
    Low loud lovin it!
    bosozoku inspired 86 LX-I hatchie
    ~~~~~~~IG @the_boso_3g~~~~~~~

A small halogen projector bulb, perhaps? LED's are not suitable in all applications.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    A small halogen projector bulb, perhaps? LED's are not suitable in all applications.
    I've got an abundance of those. I can almost promise you that an LED wouldn't work well for this, but a Halogen one would have to be insulated pretty well, they put off a bunch of heat.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

I think Cadillac was the one who made one factory, rip one out and modify it to work in a three g?, I think several Pontiacs also had the system, I've heard of it being transplanted into other cars, They say without the special windshield it's a little hard to see in broad daylight but still works well at night
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 05-09-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Vehicle

Whoever that can provide me with an Halogen Bulb sample would be highly appreciated.
    I do have a mail box in El Paso TX, so it would ship into the US. Let me know please!

I saw one of the HUD Lost mentioned below, it is the Display and a curved mirror that projects and amplifies the image into the windshield, the problem is that it was uninstalled so I don't know how the special windshield looks like.

I have been experimenting with several tints and polarized plastics, so far I got a poor reflect at daylight and awesome reflect at night. I haven't changed the Display to write from right to left, so I can see the reflect, but its still backwards!

When I finish, I plan to put all the Displays I have on sale, I would have several versions, they can be acquired for a Megasquirted car, or to connect it directly to the stock ECU. There will be alphanumeric versions and graphic versions, some with backlight, some without backlight, I also have VCF versions (like the clock in the Instrument Panel). But I assume this would be into a couple of months or more! No hurry from my side. Not planning for making a box for them, so it will include the display connected through a 5 ft. long cable to the controller circuit only, so any one interested would be free to install it how/where better works for him.

Thanks for all your comments! I am anxiously waiting for the weekend!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

I can't wait to see it finished!

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

the GM one can be used without the special windshield, it's just hard to see in bright sun, but guys have transplanted it into other cars, might be something to look at

Vehicle

Quick update here. I had to cross the border to buy the fresnel lenses (also called full page magnifiers). The local office depot does not longer carry them.

I don't have the same amount of spare time I used to have, I subscribed myself in a gym so I spend two hours there every day. (lost 14 lbs already!)

I've been working in the new microprocessor. I have everything built but I am working in getting it programmed, since I don't have an USB programmer for it, I am working with parallel port adapters and arcade stuff like that, and its a pain to get the correct drivers setup.

I'm not that worried for projecting the image of my display, the only technical problem I foresee is the heat dissipation of the light, and how to avoid it to heat the LCD up (these LCDs are very sensitive to temp.)

I am also looking for a special mirror with the reflecting paint in the top of the glass (normal mirrors have the paint in the back), so it avoids a double image reflection. I read somewhere that you can remove the gray paint from the back of any normal mirror until you get the plated surface. I may try this if I can't get the top side one.

Vehicle

My new AVR microcontroller is up and running. It took me two weeks to become from a newbie to ...somebody that can do something with it.

Since I don't longer have the memory capacity problems I had before I will start adding B/W pictures to the code so I can do like a slide show and then use that to test my HUD. I will take some pictures/logos from internet, including the Accord one, of course.

So, now I need to go outside and cut some wood to assembly everything and give the first try tonight if possible. In preparation for this test I already tinted my car with the darkest color I found!

I also bought a JY instrument cluster replacement, so later I will throw my LCDs inside and replace the whole stock cluster.

Vehicle

I have two of the large ones (the other is still installed in the car) so these two will display the dash symbols and the one with the black frame will display speed and RPM with big numbers and sliding bars.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    I have two of the large ones (the other is still installed in the car) so these two will display the dash symbols and the one with the black frame will display speed and RPM with big numbers and sliding bars.

Love the progress you're making on this project man, keep it up!

Be sure to take some pics when you do test it!

Vehicle

I ran the first test today to measure the focal distances.

Assuming I have a distance from the LCD to the projector lens of 10", the screen must be at 50" to get a nice and focused image.

So this will help me to determine where the projector will be installed. Either in the rest arm center console, or in the back seat.

If I leave the standard backlight of the LCDs, I can see the image only when the room is completely dark. So certainly a new type of light would be needed.

The wide and height dimensions of the box are determined by the LCD size. So far 7x3 in, and the length would be determined by the distance from the lens to the screen, but it should be no more than 8". Very compact, I think.

I would post some pictures, but I cut the wooden box too large since i didn't have an idea of the focal distances, so i need to re-do some cuts and then i will post the pics. With the new size I'll be able to actually test it in the car.

Vehicle

..more pics later... And thanks to obdriver6 for "lending" me the 1st pic.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post

..more pics later... And thanks to obdriver6 for "lending" me the 1st pic.
    I'm like "hmm, that looks familiar" lol..... Nice progress BTW!

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle

A bigger light is a must in these projectors.
    Here is a small test I made today.

The plan is to put the projector in the middle of the two front seats. Is will take the form as the arm rest in others cars that can be put horizontal or vertical.

With that, the image gets 1/2 of the size of the windshield, unfortunately the camera is unable to capture the [projected image.

The plan for this projector is to find the proper light, and later go smaller using an old camera's LCD and its lens.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Can you shine light through the LCD? Many years ago I remember taking apart an old calculator and removing the mirror from behind the LCD. It worked exactly like it always did except that you couldn't really see it unless you held it up to a light. If you could do this and also find a way to invert the display (swap light and dark) you might be able to get a brighter image.

C|

Vehicle

Some plywood cuts

Forgot tpo include the mirror

The picture as seen in the LCD

A view of the projector already assembled. The mirror is trans-lucid, its the only one I could get so far. It looks too big, but it fits in the middle of the seats. The mirror and lens must be re-arranged.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Can you shine light through the LCD? Many years ago I remember taking apart an old calculator and removing the mirror from behind the LCD. It worked exactly like it always did except that you couldn't really see it unless you held it up to a light. If you could do this and also find a way to invert the display (swap light and dark) you might be able to get a brighter image.

C|
    The LCD has a backlight that actually works with high voltage, if you look carefully there is a type of ballast mounted in the PCB . That backlight can be removed and replaced with something else.
    Swapping light and dark is easy. I draw the 240x64 pixels regardless of the content, so it don't care if it is reversed. I'll test it and see if there is an improvement. I need to find a mirror with the silver tint in the top and not in the back as the normal mirrors. The one i have is certainly "leaking" precious light.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

Have you thought about using LEDs for the lighting? Wouldn't need to worry about the heat then.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Nafs Asdf View Post
    Have you thought about using LEDs for the lighting? Wouldn't need to worry about the heat then.
    was just wondering this as well. problem is, they don't make many small Led projector bulbs. smallest one I can get is an MR16 and unfortunately, it is not dimmable. oh, and its about $20
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage