Thread: New to the forum here and i need some help

Question New to the forum here and i need some help

Hey im defiance and I just got my hands on this beautiful 88 Accord LxI Coupe and so far its not in bad shape either. its got lower mileage coming in at around 80,000 clean paint and not a whole lot of rust on it either. Its a great older car but it has one BIG issue, Fuel Leakage. Gas seeps out of the 3rd Injector, and i think its original so i want to replace it and its o rings.Its getting to the point that i dont want to take it long distances or on major highways cause im afraid theres going to be a FIRE. So Are there o rings on the top and bottom of each injector ? How do I safely take these injectors off ?

If someone can point me in the direction of a writeup, directoins or a video that would be absolutley great !

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Re: New to the forum here and i need some help

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

That's the download for the shop manual for these cars. It's stickied in the tech section if you need to find it again.

Pick of a whole set of fuel injectors. I use RC Engineering for my fuel injectors. It will set you back a couple hundred bucks, but it's fully worth it for a set of injectors.

Great info Man thanks a bunch ! Do you know if these injectors typically leak from their bodys or is it mostly the seals ?
    88 Honda accord Lxi coupe

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

They do both, but pretty much any 25 year old fuel injector will fail. That's why I don't bother with junkyard injectors for these cars, they're just too old. I've never had an injector fail at the body on my car, but I've only had a fuel injected car personally running for less than an hour. I've had to replace them for friends, though.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Welcome! Try changing the top o ring first and see if its still leaks. Also post pics when you get a chance.

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

they sale o ring kits at honda or any parts store

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch

My injectors were leaking fuel out of the middle where the wire harness plugged in at 200k miles.

I got my injector seals from Car Quest, they were $10 each set (need 4 sets). Also - do not go with cheap eBay o-rings they will either melt from fuel exposure or turn rock hard. I am speaking from experience.

I replaced my injectors with GP Sorenson ($50 ea) and they were hit and miss, one injector was bad right out of the box. It's a good idea to go with slightly better injectors.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord lxi

Welcome!

I'm having leaking in my injectors also, so thats my next task, but I think i found a gasket kit for upper and lower seal and an o-ring. If my memory servers me correct [which it probably isn't], its the green o-ring, which is needed? Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

I had the same issue when I first got my 89 Lxi. Except on mine all 4 injectors were leaking (not majorly, but enough to fill up my garage with the smell of gas everytime I parked it). One of the injectors was leaking more than the rest, but I just played it safe and got all 4 injectors & seals replaced. I figured after 110k miles the car could probably use new ones anyways. Smell went away after I got them replaced, But so did a large chunk of my wallet.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord lxi

I wanna replace injectors, but my wallet is telling me no.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I want to say I spent $3 a gasket kit from Advance. It wasn't very much.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord lxi

i saw 25 for seals and gaskets, but i forget where i saw that. The guy from auto zone said just go to lowes to get the o-ring. i laughed and walked away

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

It's part number Part No. 158-0895 from Advance. It's more than I recalled, but it's still not bad. The kit is $6.08, but it does include o-rings that are meant for other sets of injectors for other applications.

When you replace the o-ring, you also want to replace at least the spacer between the fuel rail and the injector body. The kit makes it incredibly easy.

Also, if you're purchasing from Advance, search www.retailmenot.com for coupon codes. I added in a set of spark plugs with my order, and it was less than the fuel injector kits alone. I think that's why I recall the price being lower.
    Last edited by Vanilla Sky; 06-03-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Rockauto used to have a seal set for these cars for about 20 dollars
    Think it included about 20 different gaskets and seals for the injectors
    And throttle body. But it seems like you can get a seal set for any newer accord
    Up till 2002 and it will work for our 3rd gens,don't quote me on that though.
    I just saw the same part nummber for 15 different years

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi 4D

welcome from northern cali... keep up the good work... i'm learning a lot from u guys and this forum, too!! i'm sure once it's all sorted, ur 3G will give u a lot of fun and service for the relatively low cost to keep and maintain.

my bmw is under warranty and so much stuff has happened to it already... i'm scared to keep it after it comes off warranty... u know?

and my cayenne twin turbo, just hit 113k miles and bam, engine troubles!! i got only 50 compression in #8 cylinder and a leaky turbo... a new engine will cost me $20,000-$25,000... but i'm going to rebuild/repair at an engine builder, ie pro-motor it with sleeves, punch it out from 4.5L to 5.0, order bigger turbos, and reflash it to make 600-700 hp.. that's the plan anyway.. my wife don't know... it's still gonna cost me $10K +- anyway, it's her DAILY DRIVER (our weekend getaway car) and she just wants me to get it fixed... yeah, i'll FIX it.. hehehe but really, i'm just crying cuz for maybe $4k-$5K, i could probably swap in a vtec euro-r with a 5sp update... yeah, maybe in a few years, i'll build this sleeper!!

moral of the story... no more $$$ destruction... i'm keeping the 3G as long as i can and i'm going to make the porsche last another 100-150K... it's going to be goodbye bmw soon...
    Crazy Dave
    88 Honda Accord LXi 4D Auto Maroon
    09 BMW 328iAS 4D Black (JUST SOLD!)
    05 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Titanium
    72 Ford Mustang Mach 1 R-code Pewter

Oh jesus!! I got some news i think the guys at STS (oil change place) may have done something wrong ! Ever since i got the oil changed the car has been blowing out smoke out the tailpipe ! It does it when im revving to merge on to the highway and when i take off from lights. Cars seems fine though doesn't overheat the temp needle NEVER goes past the halfway mark actually it stays a little over the quarter mark.Coolant looks clean and so does the oil that's in the engine.Car runs a little rough at idle but i blame the bad O2 sensor for that. Whats the capacity for these engines ? Could it be possible that the IDIOTS at sts Overfilled the oil ?

This smoke is scaring me thanks alot for any responses guys !

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe; 91 Accord LX sedan

Always a good idea to check your oil level ASAP after an oil change by a service shop. Don't assume they'll fill to the correct level. I once asked a shop to correct an overfill for me.

Your capacity is about 3.7 qts. Have you checked the level since that oil change?
    Last edited by derolph; 06-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi 4D

Bummer.. Sorry to hear that..
    Crazy Dave

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Check the PVC valve operation.
    I don't like how those places fool with everything when all I want them to do is change the friggin oil and dispose the dirty. They say they have to. They can screw up big time just inspecting your air filter
    Also if they use bottled oil they could leave the seal hanging loose and if it gets in the valve cover it can block an oil return passage and potentialy cause oil to pool on top of the head which could leak into valve guides/seals or get pulled into the breather tube.
    Resulting in smoke

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi 4D

read somewhere that overfilling the oil can cause smoke, concurring with derolph.. hope that was an easy fix...
    Crazy Dave