Thread: Newbie, 1989 Accord lx

Vehicle
    1989 Accord lx

Newbie, 1989 Accord lx

This is my first car, a 1989 Accord lx. Bought her back in June of 2011 for 500bucks! When I bought her she had about 227,000 miles and now she has just over 230,000. The previous owner swaped the stock motor for a salvaged A20that had 75,000 miles. Have had some engine work done and the carburetor adjusted since purchasing, and have installed a full aftermarket audio system by myself. Just recently have had all the struts replaced and soon to be replaced is the master cylinder, the driver side power window regulator, cv joints, and the rack&pinion.

Last edited by 1989 Accord lx; 05-25-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Vehicle
    93 & 89 Honda Accord, 87 Cressida

Re: Newbie, 1989 Accord lx

Nice accord man! Looks great especially for that price! Any plans for her? Also welcome

Vehicle
    1989 Accord lx

When i got her she needed quite a few repairs, when the previous owner swapped the motor he put the coolant lines on backwards. it had a cracked windshield and still does. All the other repairs needed I have taken care of or I am about to. I plan on keeping it stock except for a cherry bomb turbo muffler and some air intake tubing since the stock one is missing.
    Last edited by 1989 Accord lx; 05-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

nice clean sedan

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Just a heads up when you replace your steering rack, make sure you use Honda fluid from the dealership. I know someone that went through 4 racks that were killed by "Honda Approved" fluid from the parts store.

Have you checked behind those stainless arches? I'd check behind them for rust. The car looks really clean, and it would be a real shame to see that car rust away because there was a bunch of gunk trapped behind those arches.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord lx

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    Just a heads up when you replace your steering rack, make sure you use Honda fluid from the dealership. I know someone that went through 4 racks that were killed by "Honda Approved" fluid from the parts store.
    Have you checked behind those stainless arches? I'd check behind them for rust. The car looks really clean, and it would be a real shame to see that car rust away because there was a bunch of gunk trapped behind those arches.
    Now that I think of it no I haven't checked the arches for rust. I will be painting the steelies flat black soon because the new hub-caps(in the pics) show more of the wheels than the old ones did, and I will check the arches when I take the wheels off one by one. I have noticed a small dot sized rust spot under the right taillight that I also plan on fixing soon. As for the steering rack it does have a noticeable leak, but I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon, probably next year. It still works fine and the wheel can be turned with one finger.
    Last edited by 1989 Accord lx; 05-28-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi 4D

Welcome to the club.. Nice car...