Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you working on?

Thumbs up what are you working on?

As the tital states. What are you working on! It does not have to be 3g related, but it can be. What project(s) are you working on.
    You could be restoring a part or a whole car. Tell us about it.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Re: what are you working on?

I'm doing a Full Restoration and Respray (louvers & Trim included) of my 89 Lxi Hatch. So far I've removed all the rust damage filled/fixed any dings and have primed the car. Got the car in april 2011 and at that point, I knew nothing about cars or body work. Since then I've taken 2 semesters of automotive refinishing at the local community college (since I'm already taking classes there) but anyways, I've learned a lot during the process, especially detailing. So, I'm hoping to have my hatch all finished by New Years. That's my goal at least.... Going through a bit of a delay at the moment however since I can't do any work on it (painting wise at least) until the fall when my autobody refinishing college class starts up again. I'll have put about $1,500 into it (body panels, materials, paint, etc included) when I finish with the restoration process. So far so good, and I'm hoping it stays that way.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

well I was doing wiring in the hatch,but the car tore up in tifton today, so it cost me 150 bucks I couldn't afford to have the Lincoln towed home, now I need to drop the tank and change a fuel pump,on top of that my grass is 4 feet high and no matter how much I work on this mower the carb isn't getting fuel through the jets,

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

im working on a 3s-gte celica, trying to get that road worthy so i can sell it. i dont like working on it

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

thanks to queenie having a birthday and giving us a long weekend, have been out in the yard all day cleaning up the section before winter sets in and nothing gets done for the next couple months.
    tonight is patch a hole in the wall where a heater ( that now resides in my garage ) used to be.
    and have bout 2 cubic meters of dry blue gum to split for the fire. on top of the 8 cubic meters of pine to split and stack.
    what do they say? buy a house, buy a hobby.

and arnt gt4s gay, unless of course its an st185r group A wide body homologation special.
    my mother in law had on until she was 65, only sold it coz she couldnt get into it easily

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Trying to make things cleaner in the engine bay on the accord. I'm going to need to cut an shorten the harness. But for now it's functional an ready. Working on my ef sedan to so time lol.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

sweet. I am working on a 91 civic 4 door.. Getting her road worthy and ready for sale. I am also working on a trade from a 92 rs camaro to a Harley Davidson.
    Last edited by 89T; 06-02-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Working on an 87 Mercruiser, so i can get it sold.
    I ran it out of gas last year at least i think i did. Last thing i did to it was repl the starter which was a bitch so today i will get back to finding the fuel issue and test the coil again it wont stay running but a few seconds.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntd ca3 View Post
    what do they say? buy a house, buy a hobby.

More like "buy a house, buy a second job."

I'm rebuilding a 1.6NA VW diesel to drop back into my rust bucket Sami'. The bottom end is mostly done, just need to get a rebuilt head, water pump, and oil pump.

C|

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

The roof of my studio is exposed and the bathroom is just walls with some trim on top so I put up a ceiling above my bathroom. Since the studio roof is a fairly high "A" I use the space above the new bathroom ceiling as storage. In other words I built a 6'x8' deck on top of my bathroom, but The area directly above the shower is left uncovered so it can vent moisture. The deck frame is made from 2x4's and is supported by lag bolts into the existing ledger on one side, and the other side use the existing wall as support. I may be asked to take it down so everything is resting in place except for the lag bolts. I wanted it to be taken down easily and not be too damaging to the existing house, but who knows they may like it.
    I finished hanging the drywall and got started on applying the thin layer of mud. I don't plan on doing any texture, though there is existing knock down texture to the walls. I'm looking for flush mount ceiling lights since the bathroom got a fair bit darker in some areas, but the low ceiling once painted white should reflect more light overall.
    Last edited by A20A1; 06-02-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    - llia

Vehicle

Eeew, texture. When I bought my house the living room/kitchen ceiling had popcorn texture, and it even had the sparklies in it. It looked bad so we painted plain white over it. I wanted to remove it but there's pretty much no way to do it without just making it look worse. All the walls have sand texture, which is not so bad. At least that stuff you can paint over a few times and it's mostly covered.

I'm also in the middle of redoing my bedroom. Walls are painted a light grey. Trim will be white. The floor will be engineered hardwood of the ash variety.

Need to figure out what to do for closet doors though. It had these cheap bi-folds with that awful plastic looking wood grain. I'll probably do bi-folds again but with real wood panel type doors, although I'm not crazy about those either. The design goal is a clean modern look. I could use some ideas here if anyone has any.

C|

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I've scraped the popcorn stuff off with a wide putty knife before. It seemed to do the trick. Just be aware that most of it has asbestos in it.

In keeping with my investment advice to anyone who will listen, I bought some property last year. It is in the hills away from populated areas. It was an REO (bank owned, following foreclosure) and I got it so cheap I should be prosecuted. It's absolutely beautiful with lots of big oaks and a small creek running through. There is a well, septic, electric and a run-down mobile home. The bank screwed up the foreclosure and didn't have proper title to the mobile, so I got the mobile for free after they discounted it out of the asking price.

Here are a few pics.

Yours truly (and a beard) next to the creek.

The planter boxes that it's taken me months to build and place. It's taken months more to fill them with dirt. I'm not even half-way done with that.

I've since put a sprinkler controller up on the hill to take care of watering the boxes. There is no power that far out, so I put in a solar panel, charge controller and inverter. It seems to do the trick very well.

I'm also trying to get a book published and have been working hard to get a blog started.

Just to contextualize this all, four years ago, I lived in the Bay Area and worked at a big Wall Street bank. I wore nice suits, lived in a nice apartment and drove a German car.

Now I live in a camper and worry about rattlesnakes. Life is an interesting journey.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

i just built an ice chest air conditioner, i'll take pictures once i'm done, stupid 113 yesterday...
    dead white and blue

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Eeew, texture. When I bought my house the living room/kitchen ceiling had popcorn texture, and it even had the sparklies in it. It looked bad so we painted plain white over it. I wanted to remove it but there's pretty much no way to do it without just making it look worse. All the walls have sand texture, which is not so bad. At least that stuff you can paint over a few times and it's mostly covered.

I'm also in the middle of redoing my bedroom. Walls are painted a light grey. Trim will be white. The floor will be engineered hardwood of the ash variety.

Need to figure out what to do for closet doors though. It had these cheap bi-folds with that awful plastic looking wood grain. I'll probably do bi-folds again but with real wood panel type doors, although I'm not crazy about those either. The design goal is a clean modern look. I could use some ideas here if anyone has any.

C|
    Get a small sprayer and soak the popcorn ceiling. They sell 6 or 8 inch putty knifes with threads in the handle for a small broom handle extension. I've done hundreds of sq ft this way. Unless its a 80's or newer house it will have asbestos in it so don't be dumb wear a GOOD mask not one of those dust single strap white things. Those are your lungs your protecting.

I have many projects going at any time. Today was another turn at the koi pond. I changed the marginal ledge to better accept the depth of plant I wanted to place. This turned into a rework of the plumbing layout of the system. I've had the pond since 2007, its been through 5 major remodels and the fish still aren't too pissed at me. they range from 2ft butterfly to 18in standards. I have many brilliant beautiful species but I just like watching them eat. things turn into bloody piranha.
    Last edited by A20A1; 06-03-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I have an air compressor I'm taking to my my buddy's tomorrow so I can rebuild the pump. I tore the motor down and it's good and clean. The pump had water in it at some point and has glazed cylinder bores. With a set of rings and a hone, it should be good to go.

Next project is getting my new-to-me Millermatic 130xp running again. I traded it for my old Lincoln flux box, but my friend is insisting that he replace any bad parts because I swapped him a working welder and I should get a working one in return. Being able to run gas will really help me with my Jeep's rust repair. Teh funnay there is that I'm using metal from my old 3geez shells to make the repairs. It's sell the whole shells to the junkyard for $12/100 or use the metal myself and scrap what's left. Why not let that metal live on as floors?

At some point, I'm getting that 89 coupe street legal. It's running now, but it needs tires, a fresh fuel pump sock (the current sock is rigid and is keeping the pump from seating all the way down), and a damned good shake down. After that, I'll have a running 3gee again.

OOO, I think I found another root cause for fender well rust. I'll post pics when I get a new camera, since I need a macro lens.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

^^^a bit of 3 geez in the jeep that makes it special^^^

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

It might even have some TII RX7 in it.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe View Post
    Get a small sprayer and soak the popcorn ceiling. They sell 6 or 8 inch putty knifes with threads in the handle for a small broom handle extension. I've done hundreds of sq ft this way. Unless its a 80's or newer house it will have asbestos in it so don't be dumb wear a GOOD mask not one of those dust single strap white things. Those are your lungs your protecting.

I know it can be removed. It's just that it's a huge PITA, and depending on how it it was applied you will have a crap ton of patching to do. At least now there are no sparklies so it's not so bad. Anyway it's too late now since it's already been painted.

The house was built in 1986 so no asbestos.

C|

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post

OMG, IT'S A UFO!!!!!

Or maybe it's just a bird.

That is a nice looking property though. The stream is cool. Is there any possibility of using it for hydro power? It looks kinda small so I'm guessing probably not.

C|

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Hey snooz that's a nice place you got there.

Vehicle

yrying to get the gas tank out of the Lincoln,this is going to be a son of a bitch of a job, 100 degrees muggy and gnats,it would be nice to have help with something like this, but it's just me

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

I've been messing around with the CRX, getting road worthy. She's finally out on the streets on E85 now.

I put the lude in storage a couple nights ago to tear it apart... The daily is gonna be repainted hopefully with rustoleum in a couple days.. Gonna do hood either tonight, or tomorrow...
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

Finished working on a maxima. Had a blown radiator and melted light socket. Simple lil stuff

Vehicle

found a rigged power wire from the fuel pump relay running under the car back to the fuel pump socket, I don't know yet if it's the wiring or the pump itself

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Now I'm working on getting us some turbo manifolds....
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST