Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What aftermarket power steering racks actually don't leak?

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Re: What aftermarket power steering racks actually don't leak?

If this rack goes bad then while I'm at the dealership I will buy the honda fluid for the Honda rack.

I just don't have a Honda dealership near enough to justify the drive for power steering fluid.
    Phil

Honda approved fluid kills racks? Now that's interesting. My first rack lost its integrity after about 200,000 miles. I tried to slow the leaks using an additive called Trans-X that had been recommended on the Car Talk forum - even for Honda P/S. Shortly after adding it my rack puked fluid all the way up my driveway while pulling into the garage. I used whatever brand of "Honda" fluid that Wal Mart carried with the rebuilt rack and it was still holding together after 150,000 miles. I do agree that it's not worth taking the chance. You can go to Honda or buy Honda fluid online. I guess it's cheap insurance.

Wow, Vanilla Sky, that link gives you quite a long story. I don't understand why Bardhal or Prestone would risk their reputation and lawsuits by selling product that says it is for Honda that ends up wrecking the system. Better safe than sorry, though. I never had any trouble with the aftermarket Honda fluids.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    Honda approved fluid kills racks? Now that's interesting. My first rack lost its integrity after about 200,000 miles. I tried to slow the leaks using an additive called Trans-X that had been recommended on the Car Talk forum - even for Honda P/S. Shortly after adding it my rack puked fluid all the way up my driveway while pulling into the garage. I used whatever brand of "Honda" fluid that Wal Mart carried with the rebuilt rack and it was still holding together after 150,000 miles. I do agree that it's not worth taking the chance. You can go to Honda or buy Honda fluid online. I guess it's cheap insurance.
    any kind of aftermarket leak stop causes the seals to swell temporarily stopping the leak, I say temporarily because when it leaks again the seals will be in much worse shape then when you started,they all work the same,it softens the seals, it's supposed to be a temporary fix until you replace parts

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I wonder if you could use vegetable oil in the system. A light oil like canola would probably work very well and preserve the seals much longer.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

I should try it when I get my power steering working again

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I wonder if you could use vegetable oil in the system. A light oil like canola would probably work very well and preserve the seals much longer.
    the seals require a synthetic fluid, I'm not sure something like that would have the proper hydraulic fluid characteristics, I used the nappa brand of Honda fluid and I hadn't had any issues, if you fix all the leaks it shouldn't take much fluid at all once it's initially full

Yeah, I've used NAPA, Bardahl, and Prestone. Wal Mart carries the Prestone brand now. Never had a bit of trouble in 23 years using "non-OEM" fluids specifically designated for Honda. If you are going to end up with leaks caused by the fluid it will happen reasonably quickly.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the seals require a synthetic fluid, I'm not sure something like that would have the proper hydraulic fluid characteristics, I used the nappa brand of Honda fluid and I hadn't had any issues, if you fix all the leaks it shouldn't take much fluid at all once it's initially full
    They use canola for hydraulic applications already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fluid

http://www.ehow.com/list_7157562_ing...ic-fluid_.html

I did a bunch of reading months ago on using it as a motor oil and it was superior to petro oil in almost every way: higher heat resistance, better lubrication, lower ash production. I'm beta testing it in my lawn tractor right now as a motor oil. When it comes time to change oil in the crankcase, I'll be putting it in there too. If nothing explodes, I'll start using it in the cars. If I can swing it later on, I'll start making my own fuel alcohol and then Big Oil can kiss my...
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 06-21-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    If you had read the link that I provided, the "Honda Approved" fluid kills racks, too. Just go to the dealership and pay the $.30 more.
    325k on the original with Bardyls Honda approved fluid.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

looks like i got the same problem, the passenger side where the boot is on the rack is starting to leak. I've put in rebuilt units but the steering force is way different than the OEM rack. I looked at my factory manual, it looks like the seal can be replaced , but is it really worth it to have a shop rebuild it ?

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Quote Originally Posted by nswst8 View Post
    If this rack goes bad then while I'm at the dealership I will buy the honda fluid for the Honda rack.

I just don't have a Honda dealership near enough to justify the drive for power steering fluid.
    Is the rack holding fine? What fluid are you using in it? I have used fluids from Bardahl and O'Reillys that are made specifically for Honda, and I have had no problem.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Rack is still holding. I flushed it x4 with Oreilly's honda PS fluid according to the Honda manual, I believe that was the original problem, not flushing all the preserving fluid out completely.
    Phil