Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 95 acura legend brake swap

Vehicle
    H23A Swapped 89 Honda Accord EX-i/SE-i

95 acura legend brake swap

Since one of my rear calipers seized, I decided to upgrade to Legend rear calipers and thought, "What the hell, might as well upgrade the fronts too".

Originally I was going to go with NSX calipers up front, but after weeks of searching on-line, I realized it was going to take a miracle to source them out. I found one for the right side but that was all. Every rebuild company I contacted was out of stock.

Ultimately, I had to go with the Legend GS calipers. From my research, the main difference I found between the two is that the NSX caliper is slightly lighter and has a smaller secondary piston than the Legend.

I got all my parts in the mail a few weeks ago but I'm going to get some caliper paint before I go ahead and do the install. I've got 89 Legend calipers and EBC Sport rotors for the rear, and 95 Legend GS Calipers with 11" redrilled V-TEC Prelude rotors for the front. I ordered new SE-I rear brackets from Rock Auto which I still have to mod for the upgrade. As for the front brackets, the 28Ts that came with the GS calipers are slightly too big for the 23mm Prelude rotors, so I managed to grab some 23T brackets from a 96 base model Legend at the pick-and-pull yard. It took me about two hours to get the damn things off and they were rusted to hell. After a long evening of going at 'em with a wire brush, they are as good as new. I also picked up some EBC Redstuffs to go all around.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by H2289Acc; 06-29-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added pics

Vehicle
    2000 Powerstroke 1988 LXI sedan

Re: 95 acura legend brake swap

Keep up the good work. Getting ready to upgrade mine and I like what you are doing. Take plenty of pictures.
    Mike C in NC USA

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by hammer3rd View Post
    Keep up the good work. Getting ready to upgrade mine and I like what you are doing. Take plenty of pictures.
    Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Looks like a sick set up!

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Oh my im intrested!

Lots of pics please

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

So your going to mount them upside down? The legend GS and nsx calipers mount on the opposite side of the hub from our cars. Also are you making brackets, or do they bolt directly?
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I think if its like the Type R bracket you
    ll need a 4 mm spacer link I did in my link.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    So your going to mount them upside down? The legend GS and nsx calipers mount on the opposite side of the hub from our cars. Also are you making brackets, or do they bolt directly?
    Actually, I was originally going to go with the straight-forward itr caliper upgrade until I did a lot of research. This conversion has been done on a lot of civics, itrs, 4th gen v-tec ludes and 5th gen accords. From what I've read, the civic and 5th gen accord calipers are mounted the same as ours, on the front of the rotor. Trick is to bleed the calipers while they're off with the bleeder facing up. Apparently after they're bled, they can then be mounted upside down without any issues. As far as the brackets go, there is a thread that lists all the caliper/bracket combos that are compatible with our cars, the 91-96 NSX and 95 Legend GS included. I have a set of itr calipers and brackets laying around so I did the comparison to the GS brackets and the bolt spacing is in fact the same. Also, I had originally ordered the redrilled 89 Legend rotors from Brian at Fastbrakes, but before they were shipped, I found out I could use the thicker v-tec lude rotors (23mm as opposed to 21mm) which are more suitable for the itr or gs caliper upgrade in terms of brake pad spacing.

I'll post more pics and let you guys know how it goes when I get around to the install.
    Last edited by H2289Acc; 07-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

its not the bolt spacing I was referring to it was the spacing out of the caliper bracket so it does not rub on the rotor. I think you will need a spacer. There a few pictures on my link in my sig might make sense maybe not.

wp
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I think if its like the Type R bracket youll need a 4 mm spacer link I did in my link. wp
    Not sure. I'll have to see what the offset is like with the 23mm lude rotor. Brian sent me some spacers just in case. I've read that some guys have had to shave the bracket approx. 3mm to get it to line up, while some guys did'nt have to make any mods at all. I guess it all depends on the bracket, hub and rotor combo.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Also if you use spacers the stock bolts will be short youll need a little longer bolt as well.

Good luck with it looks like a good swap.

wp
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Wink Re: 95 acura legend brake swap

its not the bolt spacing I was referring to it was the spacing out of the caliper bracket so it does not rub on the rotor. I think you will need a spacer. There a few pictures on my link in my sig might make sense maybe not.

wp
    I know. I did'nt see your post 'til after I replied to LM's.

Vehicle

Also if you use spacers the stock bolts will be short youll need a little longer bolt as well.

Good luck with it looks like a good swap.

wp
    Thanks. I'll let you know how it works out.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Good stuff. Can't wait to see the install.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

this swap sounds hard.(hard to find calipers just because they are dual pistons, have to take off the caliper to bleed it, spacers) just do the legend brake swap. i been running mine for around 14k with no problems. and its a bolt up swap

01 USDM ITR calipers
    89 legend disk brakes 11.1 inch
    EBC red pads

can still use my 15inch wheels with no prob
    Last edited by MessyHonda; 07-02-2012 at 01:21 AM.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

are there 2 other stud patterns drilled into those?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by H2289Acc View Post
    Actually, I was originally going to go with the straight-forward itr caliper upgrade until I did a lot of research. This conversion has been done on a lot of civics, itrs, 4th gen v-tec ludes and 5th gen accords. From what I've read, the civic and 5th gen accord calipers are mounted the same as ours, on the front of the rotor. Trick is to bleed the calipers while they're off with the bleeder facing up. Apparently after they're bled, they can then be mounted upside down without any issues. As far as the brackets go, there is a thread that lists all the caliper/bracket combos that are compatible with our cars, the 91-96 NSX and 95 Legend GS included. I have a set of itr calipers and brackets laying around so I did the comparison to the GS brackets and the bolt spacing is in fact the same. Also, I had originally ordered the redrilled 89 Legend rotors from Brian at Fastbrakes, but before they were shipped, I found out I could use the thicker v-tec lude rotors (23mm as opposed to 21mm) which are more suitable for the itr or gs caliper upgrade in terms of brake pad spacing.

I'll post more pics and let you guys know how it goes when I get around to the install.
    Interesting, I can't wait to see these installed. The bleeding sounds like a POA, but it will look clean as hell. I actually did not have to use spacers for my type R upgrade, but I used the Legend rotors. What about the rear, what rotors are you going to use?

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

This is a cool swap, I'm interested to see how it turns out.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    this swap sounds hard.(hard to find calipers just because they are dual pistons, have to take off the caliper to bleed it, spacers) just do the legend brake swap. i been running mine for around 14k with no problems. and its a bolt up swap

01 USDM ITR calipers
    89 legend disk brakes 11.1 inch
    EBC red pads

can still use my 15inch wheels with no prob
    Actually, the dual piston GS calipers were not hard to find at all. Now the NSX calipers on the other hand...
    Not quite sure why you're discouraging the GS swap cuz it's the same as the itr, except for the bleeding issue, which I don't consider to be that big a problem.

Vehicle

Interesting, I can't wait to see these installed. The bleeding sounds like a POA, but it will look clean as hell. I actually did not have to use spacers for my type R upgrade, but I used the Legend rotors. What about the rear, what rotors are you going to use?
    I'm hoping not to use the spacers either. Btw Legend, what bracket are you using for your setup, 23t or 25t?
    I'm using stock size EBC sport slotted rotors for the rear. I really wanted to go with the civic 11" big brake upgrade in the rear using the legend bracket; I saw what you had accomplished with yours and it looked pretty awesome! I would still do it save for the rattle bracket issue. Any progress with that so far? I know everyone would love to see that project completed.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by H2289Acc View Post
    I'm hoping not to use the spacers either. Btw Legend, what bracket are you using for your setup, 23t or 25t?
    I'm using stock size EBC sport slotted rotors for the rear. I really wanted to go with the civic 11" big brake upgrade in the rear using the legend bracket; I saw what you had accomplished with yours and it looked pretty awesome! I would still do it save for the rattle bracket issue. Any progress with that so far? I know everyone would love to see that project completed.

Not sure which bracket I have. I'll check next time I have the wheel off. As for the rear, the only solution would be a slight smaller diameter rotor. I can't see any other way without custom brackets.

Vehicle

I thought you could just use a 93 accord V6 caliper and or some truck caliper without haveing to bleed them upsidedown. I know thay are still a single piston but just how much clamping force to you need with a 2600 pound car. Ill bet everyone on here with the itr or other 11" swap and rear swap can lock up all 4 at will. Then all your breaking goes to the contact patch of the tires. Very sorry to turn on you H2289Acc but I want to swap parts I can fix in an afternoon with autozone parts and be back up running. I would put the duals on in a heartbeat but that upside down thing. Now find me a dual piston that is all honda parts swap and works normal and I will be all over it. But thanks for all your hard work. That is what makes for goor reads on here.
    Mike C in NC USA

Vehicle

I thought you could just use a 93 accord V6 caliper and or some truck caliper without haveing to bleed them upsidedown. I know thay are still a single piston but just how much clamping force to you need with a 2600 pound car. Ill bet everyone on here with the itr or other 11" swap and rear swap can lock up all 4 at will. Then all your breaking goes to the contact patch of the tires. Very sorry to turn on you H2289Acc but I want to swap parts I can fix in an afternoon with autozone parts and be back up running. I would put the duals on in a heartbeat but that upside down thing. Now find me a dual piston that is all honda parts swap and works normal and I will be all over it. But thanks for all your hard work. That is what makes for goor reads on here.
    I don't think there is such a thing as a 93 V6 accord. To each his own on this one, and frankly I'm just curious as to if it will all bolt up or not. Again tho, I have to agree the upside down bleed is going to be a POA if something breaks down on the side of the road.

Vehicle

I don't think there is such a thing as a 93 V6 accord. To each his own on this one, and frankly I'm just curious as to if it will all bolt up or not. Again tho, I have to agree the upside down bleed is going to be a POA if something breaks down on the side of the road.
    Bolt on like the Legand rear caliper and theb 11" front disk upgrade. All it takes is a small spacer and the breaks work.And my bad on the 93. It was 95 but still the same caliper as the itr. (dont quote just been reading). But if you can upgrade with mostly fasctory parts and use the kiss method. You can have better than stock with autoshack serviceability. Meaning you can find parts almost anywhere. But there is a place for the full on custom car or truck But not as a daily driver.( or at least I cant afford it anyway).
    Mike C in NC USA

Vehicle

Bolt on like the Legand rear caliper and theb 11" front disk upgrade. All it takes is a small spacer and the breaks work.And my bad on the 93. It was 95 but still the same caliper as the itr. (dont quote just been reading). But if you can upgrade with mostly fasctory parts and use the kiss method. You can have better than stock with autoshack serviceability. Meaning you can find parts almost anywhere. But there is a place for the full on custom car or truck But not as a daily driver.( or at least I cant afford it anyway).
    If it was a small spacer that moved the caliper towards the gas tank, that would be easy. That's not the case tho, the caliper would have to be moved out as in towards the tire. That's not a simple bracket, plus the rotors are not readily available unless ordered online. As for the Legend calipers, those GS twin piston calipers are as easy to find as the Type-R calipers, I think they actually came on some models of the odyssey. Parts really shouldn't be a problem, its just the extra labor of bleeding. I'm not really sure how to bleed the brake caliper off the car since that will push the piston out, and make it difficult to put onto the rotor.

EDIT: Misunderstood what you were saying. You meant a spacer for the front. I didn't even have to use a spacer.
    Last edited by Legend_master; 07-03-2012 at 10:36 AM.