Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who still has an underbody tray?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

who still has an underbody tray?

I picked up a pile of stuff today at the yard for 10 bucks including an underbody tray in excellent shape, who else still has theirs? I've never seen a car with one at the yard in all the years I've been hunting parts, I posted this in performance because I'm wondering if this is actually an aerodynamic item? with it in place and bolted down it really seems to smooth out the entire front end and bottom of the engine, there's a lot of stuff under there to create drag, and this seems to cover all of those items. I know sports car makers have used these for decades to improve airflow.. It not only does that,it also helps your cooling system to work better by creating a vacuum that draws air through the radiator, and it keeps water from soaking everything,when you go through a puddle.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Re: who still has an underbody tray?

From your description, you seem to refer to the plastic piece that encloses the area between the radiators and the engine from below.
    From the sides, it has openings for the front suspension rods and the crank pulley.
    I do have mine installed; someone made an opening for accessing the radiator drain valve.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle

yea it's a good size piece, has one rip which I can fix with plastic repair compound and fiberglass cloth. I was reading on another site where a piece like this caused 12 horsepower less to be needed at 125 MPH on a BMW, if you look at the car from underneath,the front cross member,radius rods,and everything else is just hanging out in the wind, with this in place,air from the radiator would be draw along the tray,along the oil pan and along the transmission,before going out the back, this is caused by the vacuum created under the car. without it, air would just be sucked out in a big turbulent mess,plus you have the big square cross member pushing through the air. My car has never had one, although pieces of the original are still attached to the bolts, I suspect a lot of them get removed for repairs and never installed again.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

I believe my hatch still has this on it... Although it is scraped up a little in one area.

You are referring to this piece right?

Vehicle

yea, I've had my eye out for one, but this is the first one I've found, I'll need it anyway with the alternator at the bottom now. The only issue I'll have is getting out the broken bolts, but they will come out, I broke off every one at the yard, and several of mine are broken. I got under the car in the sand and fire ants to get the radiator bushings out and holy shit! it's all there. It will go back in with all stainless socket head bolts

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

I still have mine but its slowly disintegrating since I lowered my car! lol

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Yeah my SEI has one still but my other cars never did.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Ive only evervseen one of those things and it was on an elderly laides mint 4door like my old one, cpt it was carbed. I almost shit a brick when it came in to the shop for an aglinment cuz it was so minty.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

only one of my cars had one, i threw it out. i wish i didn't though

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

I've seen plenty at the jy...
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

i always take mine off and toss them cause there half there and there just a pita to put back on

I still had mine. If the thing weren't needed why would the engineers have even bothered to design the overly complicated thing? I had actually cut out a hole in mine to access the radiator drain, too. I even had plugs in the holes that access the radius rod adjusting nuts. It kept those things super clean.

Vehicle

Yeah I find it keeps the front end from rusting up so bad.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
    i always take mine off and toss them cause there half there and there just a pita to put back on
    yeah same with my car. I do believe the purpose of the tray is to keep water out of the engine bay. because once i took mine off and lowered my car. drove in the rain= failed alternator, changed it with a napa performance one 80amps and never had a problem

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    yeah same with my car. I do believe the purpose of the tray is to keep water out of the engine bay. because once i took mine off and lowered my car. drove in the rain= failed alternator, changed it with a napa performance one 80amps and never had a problem
    well it's an aerodynamic item too, if you look at the difference with it on and off, you can see why. It's also supposed to be part of the cooling system shroud for the radiator, it basically creates a better vacuum under the car and helps move air through the radiator.since my alternator is now where the AC compressor was,definitely gonna need it

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i hatch

Still have mine.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    yea, I've had my eye out for one, but this is the first one I've found, I'll need it anyway with the alternator at the bottom now. The only issue I'll have is getting out the broken bolts, but they will come out, I broke off every one at the yard, and several of mine are broken. I got under the car in the sand and fire ants to get the radiator bushings out and holy shit! it's all there. It will go back in with all stainless socket head bolts
    I still have mine and it's in relatively good shape. You've pretty much discovered why they are all gone though. The bolts rust up and strip out, fall out, etc. The original bolts are a special design made of aluminum or some other very soft metal that fails easily. BUT....they have a special shank design that doesn't compress the plastic. If you replace them with standard bolts, they will squash and break the plastic, leaving you where you are right now with shards of the old shield under your car. You want to spend the money at the dealer for the special bolts and they are quite expensive for what they are. Also, expect that there won't be any remaining useful threads in the body to hold the bolts in. I have a number of bolts that are nothing more than ornamentation. I'm not really sure how to repair the threads. The metal there is so thin that HeliCoils aren't an option and you can't tap it out and put a larger bolt in, so you just tighten your bolts into thin air and hope, I guess. If you come up with a better solution, let me know.

Also, the thing takes about 15 minutes to remove and another 15 to put back on. It's a real time sink.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

I think if you can find bolts that work in the stripped out holes you could use some plastic, or metal, washers to spread the force. And, don't make them too tight. I think I have a few in my parts bin that I pulled from a junkyard because my mechanic, of all people, left out a few of them. I literally had all of them in place and functional.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

or use bolts from most cam belt covers, just add a washer to them

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I still have mine and it's in relatively good shape. You've pretty much discovered why they are all gone though. The bolts rust up and strip out, fall out, etc. The original bolts are a special design made of aluminum or some other very soft metal that fails easily. BUT....they have a special shank design that doesn't compress the plastic. If you replace them with standard bolts, they will squash and break the plastic, leaving you where you are right now with shards of the old shield under your car. You want to spend the money at the dealer for the special bolts and they are quite expensive for what they are. Also, expect that there won't be any remaining useful threads in the body to hold the bolts in. I have a number of bolts that are nothing more than ornamentation. I'm not really sure how to repair the threads. The metal there is so thin that HeliCoils aren't an option and you can't tap it out and put a larger bolt in, so you just tighten your bolts into thin air and hope, I guess. If you come up with a better solution, let me know.

Also, the thing takes about 15 minutes to remove and another 15 to put back on. It's a real time sink.
    the ones that came out of the other car just look like regular 5 mm metric bolts, it's just plastic like the inner fender liners, every body bolt that I take out gets replaces with stainless anyway, you just put a fender washer under each one and don't over tighten it is all. I will get the damaged bolts out of my car, not a big deal

Vehicle

I used some of the bolts I saved from old cars I junked,mostly from under the dash.I also put some synthetic aircraft grease I use on most bolts I take out and reuse.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Coupe

I still have mine.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Might is still on, but the previouse owner did not understand ground clearance. Its seen better days.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    I think if you can find bolts that work in the stripped out holes you could use some plastic, or metal, washers to spread the force. And, don't make them too tight. I think I have a few in my parts bin that I pulled from a junkyard because my mechanic, of all people, left out a few of them. I literally had all of them in place and functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    or use bolts from most cam belt covers, just add a washer to them
    Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the ones that came out of the other car just look like regular 5 mm metric bolts, it's just plastic like the inner fender liners, every body bolt that I take out gets replaces with stainless anyway, you just put a fender washer under each one and don't over tighten it is all. I will get the damaged bolts out of my car, not a big deal
    I'm the only one with any OE bolts left apparently. They don't actually apply any force to the tray at all. The fender washers will. The OE bolt shank flares out where the threads end. Slightly farther up is the flange/integrated washer that holds the tray in place. The shank tightens to the body of the car and the flange holds the tray in place without applying any real force to it. If you think you can just put a fender washer on and be fine, maybe you can. Just know that is not how it was designed to work. All the torque you apply to that bolt will be transmitted through the plastic of the tray to the body.

Like I said, the OE bolts fail very easily and I suspect they got changed out with regular bolts + fender washers over time by mechanics who believed this was just fine. The end result was a cracked, broken and ultimately discarded underbody tray.

Do what you think is right for you, of course. I just thought you would want to know how the OE setup works so you can make an informed choice.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 07-02-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

I also had the little plastic pop clips that were on the front part of the pan. The pan was a bit beat up from scraping pavement a number of times in its life. Truth be told, you probably do not need ALL the bolts in place to keep the thing secure. There sure are a lot of them - about 10 as I recall?