Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oem fog lights

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

Oem fog lights

i just recently came across some oem bosch fog lights, they came with the switch and brackets. The only thing they are missing is the harness. I tried looking in the how to section but the wiring diagram isn't showing up. how would i wire them with the stock switch functionality (lighting up the button lights)? i want it to look stock but i don't see the chances of finding another oem harness. i searched for questions relating this but nothing really answered my question.

thanks in advance!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Oem fog lights

Well, the OE switch doesn't light. At all. No bulb. So you can save yourself that trouble. The relay mounts on top of the DS shock tower and the ground screw is next to the radiator on the DS kinda toward the top. The wires are wrapped in some kind of black plastic that resembles shrink wrap that hasn't been shrunk. Here's a pic of my engine bay so you can see where the relay mounts.

As for wiring diagrams, I've searched high and low and cannot find one anywhere. The closest I was able to come was a basic sketch for the newer Civics. I thought I saved it, but cannot find it now. The fogs must have been a dealer installed item because the factory manual doesn't mention them anywhere.

So basically, I've written a lengthy post with little useful info.

You're welcome.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Well, the OE switch doesn't light. At all. No bulb. So you can save yourself that trouble. The relay mounts on top of the DS shock tower and the ground screw is next to the radiator on the DS kinda toward the top. The wires are wrapped in some kind of black plastic that resembles shrink wrap that hasn't been shrunk. Here's a pic of my engine bay so you can see where the relay mounts.

As for wiring diagrams, I've searched high and low and cannot find one anywhere. The closest I was able to come was a basic sketch for the newer Civics. I thought I saved it, but cannot find it now. The fogs must have been a dealer installed item because the factory manual doesn't mention them anywhere.

So basically, I've written a lengthy post with little useful info.

You're welcome.
    I just got them out of the mail box and I looked at the switch lol. Well since I thought I was going to lose some functionality in it i wanted to ask and make sure, I have never seen one of these in person before. IMO they should've lit up, would've gone with the entire dash at night but whatever lol. As for the diagrahm I've looked every where as well.. The service manuel doesn't even cover fog lights or even a switch to it. Thanks for the help! I'll have to pick up a harnes from oriellys I guess!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

I haven't looked but I'm assuming I need to take the bumper off to put the foglights on right?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by 89GhostLxi View Post
    I haven't looked but I'm assuming I need to take the bumper off to put the foglights on right?
    Unless you are a pro at fishing wire in tight spaces.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by 89HatchbackLxi View Post
    Unless you are a pro at fishing wire in tight spaces.
    I don't even see the mounting holes, bumper is gonna come off

3Geez Veteran

The OEM brackets I had mounted with the bumper. They matched up to the back of the bumper mounts (the square ones mounted on the chassis that the actual metal bumper attaches to) and screwed on with the same three bolts. Sorry if that's a terrible explanation...

So yes, the metal bumper (along with the plastic cover) needs to come off, as well as the mounts behind it (one on each side, square with rubber in the middle, three bolts).

Ignore the circle, it's actually the whole part.

Last edited by charliekuney; 07-03-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

that makes sense ,then the bracket would be bent where the threaded holes were inside of the covers. on the switch, does it have a pigtail with wires? I don't see why it wouldn't light,every other switch does. if it doesn't have a pigtail and just has a plug, send it to me and I will modify it with a pigtail so you can hook it up. I just remove the plastic around the pins,figure out the circuit, and solder the wires directly to the pins, if it has five pins it should be illuminated, most honda switches the icon lights up with the lights, then there is a lighted indicator when it's on. as far as the wiring,it's just like wiring most aftermarket fog lamps, standard bosch type relay, they all have the same numbers, go to the yard and get one cheap out of a ford or a Nissan,

pin 30 power from battery,starter terminal etc, this MUST be fused as close to the source as possible, usually a 20 amp fuse is fine.

pin 87 this goes to your lamps, one relay will handle both lamps fine

pin 86 goes to your low beam headlamp circuit, tie in at a lamp,this only lets the light operate when the low beams are on, fogs should only be used with low beams anyway, alternately you could tie this into a running lamp bulb, this would still make sure they are off with the lights

pin 87 grounding this pin will cause the relay to close when the parking lamps or low beams are on,depending on how you wired it. when the relay closes the fogs come on,since most Honda switches are a grounding type switch, I will assume it's setup this way. I will need more info on the switch first though

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    that makes sense ,then the bracket would be bent where the threaded holes were inside of the covers. on the switch, does it have a pigtail with wires? I don't see why it wouldn't light,every other switch does. if it doesn't have a pigtail and just has a plug, send it to me and I will modify it with a pigtail so you can hook it up. I just remove the plastic around the pins,figure out the circuit, and solder the wires directly to the pins, if it has five pins it should be illuminated, most honda switches the icon lights up with the lights, then there is a lighted indicator when it's on. as far as the wiring,it's just like wiring most aftermarket fog lamps, standard bosch type relay, they all have the same numbers, go to the yard and get one cheap out of a ford or a Nissan,

pin 30 power from battery,starter terminal etc, this MUST be fused as close to the source as possible, usually a 20 amp fuse is fine.

pin 87 this goes to your lamps, one relay will handle both lamps fine

pin 86 goes to your low beam headlamp circuit, tie in at a lamp,this only lets the light operate when the low beams are on, fogs should only be used with low beams anyway, alternately you could tie this into a running lamp bulb, this would still make sure they are off with the lights

pin 87 grounding this pin will cause the relay to close when the parking lamps or low beams are on,depending on how you wired it. when the relay closes the fogs come on,since most Honda switches are a grounding type switch, I will assume it's setup this way. I will need more info on the switch first though
    On the back of the switch it just has 3 pins. There's no spot for a light bulb and the actual button is not going to let light through even if a light bulb was some how mounted back there. It's strange to me the switch isn't lit but neither is the power mirror adjuster switch..

as for mounting the brackets I'm kinda following what you are saying, I think I'm going to have to just take it apart to figure it out.

Vehicle

On the back of the switch it just has 3 pins. There's no spot for a light bulb and the actual button is not going to let light through even if a light bulb was some how mounted back there. It's strange to me the switch isn't lit but neither is the power mirror adjuster switch..

as for mounting the brackets I'm kinda following what you are saying, I think I'm going to have to just take it apart to figure it out.
    it sounds like you can just wire the switch with one wire to ground,and then a grounded output,that will work with the relay as I described

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    it sounds like you can just wire the switch with one wire to ground,and then a grounded output,that will work with the relay as I described
    Yea I found a wiring harness that has a diagrahm with it, it's pretty basic though because it's universal.

3Geez Veteran

it's pretty basic though because it's universal.
    These cars are pretty basic. Anyway, here's what I can clarify: the mounts for the fog lights are like giant washers you put behind those square bumper mounts when you install them, then the fog light mount hangs below and comes through the two holes in the bumper beneath the turn signals.

Also, your button sounds just like my OEM button - three pins, no light or bulb locations. Mine looks nearly identical to the cruise control button.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

Call me a moron but I can't get it, this isn't working I've tried mounting them any way I could and it's not working

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

So I tried to mount them between the plastic bumper and the metal bumper support and it lined up. The problem though is my bumper holes won't allow the Bosch head lights to fit in. I noticed on the brackets they say "86" I'm assumeijg it's be because it's from an 86, would it mater they are from an '86 since mine is an '89? I have t looked at the prefacelift and facelift bumpers enough to notice any real difference dimensionally..

Vehicle

So I tried to mount them between the plastic bumper and the metal bumper support and it lined up. The problem though is my bumper holes won't allow the Bosch head lights to fit in. I noticed on the brackets they say "86" I'm assumeijg it's be because it's from an 86, would it mater they are from an '86 since mine is an '89? I have t looked at the prefacelift and facelift bumpers enough to notice any real difference dimensionally..
    unless it's a hatch the bumpers are different

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Any chance you can post pics of what you have and how you are trying to mount it?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

Image by 89Sei, on Flickr

i lined it up here and figured thats the way the way the brackets should be sitting. This obviously didn't work when my bumper goes on due to the mounts integrating with the metal reinforcement of the actual bumper. i then tried to put the mount in front of the metal support and behind the styrofoam of the actual plastic bumper and it did not sit right. if i actually tightened the bolts and put the entire bumper on the bracket would hang down in the opening like it would work but it is to far back for the fog light to actually mount on to.

3Geez Veteran

I have t looked at the prefacelift and facelift bumpers enough to notice any real difference dimensionally..
    The two bumper styles have completely different fog light locations. The older ones are farther back as the bumper goes back more at the bottom.

1986-1987 sedan and 1986-1989 hatch:
    See the vent things under the turn signals and note how the fogs are kinda tucked back...

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...390236925.jpeg

1988-1989 sedans and coupes:
    See the openings and fogs are more forward...

3Geez Veteran

Yep, those ones are for 1986-1987 because they mount to the front of the bumper mounts. 1988-1989 mount to the back.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx-i

yea i started looking around and started seeing they were a bit set back more on the bottom.. i don't think my mounts are for the sedan, and thats what i need.

edit: just saw charlies post. that blows.

3Geez Veteran

Sucks, but at least you can sell them here. Plenty of people want those.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI

Just to clarify, you DO NOT need to remove the bumper(on an '89), to do the install.
    Jeff

'89 SEI Coupe

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JC Barker View Post
    Just to clarify, you DO NOT need to remove the bumper(on an '89), to do the install.
    How so? Where do yours mount to?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    How so? Where do yours mount to?
    Don't remember, right off the bat, but they wouldn't be on there if I had had to take the bumper off.
    Jeff

'89 SEI Coupe

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by JC Barker View Post
    Don't remember, right off the bat, but they wouldn't be on there if I had had to take the bumper off.
    it takes five minutes to take the bumper off, take out the turn signals, four bolts,four screws at the edges of the bumper and it pulls straight off, I just took one off at the yard