Thread: Head Interchangeability??

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

Head Interchangeability??

my Accord has an EF1 engine in it i want to know is there a non cvcc head that will work with the EF bottom end?...it dont look like there is much for my motor just want to know if i can use stuff from other engines or what engines i could swap into this without heavy modification if any at all...i really like this car and want to know if god forbid something happens to the motor i can use another.

also what kinds of things can i do to this engine to hop it up?
    this is what im working with right now....Bone stock EF1

also is there anyway to get rid of some of these damn vacuum hoses???
    Last edited by SylusMk2; 07-02-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 350 4.10s
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1 Type R internals
    1982 GT Mustang 5.0 3.73 gears
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0 MONSTER
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6 stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6

Vehicle

Re: Head Interchangeability??

I THINK you may be able to get a non-CVCC head from a Canadian model but to be 100% honest I really don't know the finer details about swapability on these ones...especially since I've got an EK-1. Give this thread a little time and I'm sure you'll get your answer from one of the resident "Experts". This question is way beyond my knowledge base. Sorry to waste your time with my useless comment but good luck to you! Nice clean engine bay BTW, thanks for the pic.

I DO wonder if anyone's thought to actually "fill the gaps" and get rid of the Aux. valve rocker arms...effectively filling in all the spaces used by/for the CVCC chambers and creating a non-cvcc head. That's probably a VERY BAD idea though and if it didn't totally screw things up mechanically speaking it would certainly boost compression (Probably by way too much).

Vehicle
    1978 Accord CVCC

Quote Originally Posted by lostscotiaguy View Post
    I THINK you may be able to get a non-CVCC head from a Canadian model but to be 100% honest I really don't know the finer details about swapability on these ones...especially since I've got an EK-1. Give this thread a little time and I'm sure you'll get your answer from one of the resident "Experts". This question is way beyond my knowledge base. Sorry to waste your time with my useless comment but good luck to you! Nice clean engine bay BTW, thanks for the pic.

I DO wonder if anyone's thought to actually "fill the gaps" and get rid of the Aux. valve rocker arms...effectively filling in all the spaces used by/for the CVCC chambers and creating a non-cvcc head. That's probably a VERY BAD idea though and if it didn't totally screw things up mechanically speaking it would certainly boost compression (Probably by way too much).
    that wasnt a useless comment at all...now you got me thinking lol
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 350 4.10s
    1984 F-150 4.9 Stock
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1 Type R internals
    1982 GT Mustang 5.0 3.73 gears
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0 MONSTER
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6 stock
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

The Weber should work for CVCC. It will remove all of that stuff under the hood and you don't need to swap out the head for it.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

The '77-'78 EG engine was the non-CVCC equivalent to the EF, supplied to most countries other than the USA & Japan, and should fit. It also the 4 exhaust ports exiting the head that the CVCC engines didn't get until the '81 model year' so a pre '82 4-port exhaust manifold would be needed.
    The '79 on EL&EK engines had a bigger bore so I wouldn't count upon their heads fitting.
    Engine wise the later EK EL will fit but had a bigger flywheel so g-box may be needed (though smaller flywheel may? still fit pre '81 engines.
    Last edited by 79cord; 07-03-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Vehicle
    79 Accord 1.8L CVCC 5-Speed

The EF/EK heads do not swap. When I was going through my head ordeal I figured out that the EF head has a different shape, smaller bore and smaller oil return gully. The bolt pattern may also be different.

If he had an EK engine (78-80 US) he could swap to an 81 4 port exhaust head but I don't believe there's any option for the EF besides import or Weber.